Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hoppel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I'm looking to start a gaming group in the Scranton, PA area. After looking for various venues, I contacted the Scranton Public Library, who have a location in the Steamtown Mall with a back room that can accommodate a group of at least 8 players. If anyone is interested, please let me know. And feel free to check out my collection for an idea of what I can bring. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Lynch
United States
Throop
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I am new to this board and fairly new to the...lets call it, boardgame scene.

I might be interested in this. the steamtown mall is just a horrible place to be but im not sure where else to do it. Throop does have a very nice community center you can try, its open pretty late and right across from the police station so you don't have to worry about getting stabbed after dark. like downtown scranton haha.

**also i should add, i know 8-10 people that might be interested in this. some of them already meet once a week for a game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
paxhcndria wrote:
. . . so you don't have to worry about getting stabbed after dark.

I don't live in the area, but I wanted to throw in my endorsement for not getting stabbed (independent of the luminosity outside).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoppel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paxhcndria wrote:
Hello, I am new to this board and fairly new to the...lets call it, boardgame scene.

I might be interested in this. the steamtown mall is just a horrible place to be but im not sure where else to do it. Throop does have a very nice community center you can try, its open pretty late and right across from the police station so you don't have to worry about getting stabbed after dark. like downtown scranton haha.

**also i should add, i know 8-10 people that might be interested in this. some of them already meet once a week for a game night.
Thanks for the reply Gerald! I agree, the mall sucks, but the library isn't bad (as far as I know), and they had actually tentatively agreed to let a group use it on Saturday or Sunday during the day, so it will be during one of the less stabby times of the day. If you think you can get some people, can you either get them to reply on here, or (if they aren't active BGGers), I can start a Facebook group for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to go over and check out MEETUP for there are 2 game groups now in the valley. NEPA board gamers and Luzerne county gamers, you can advertise you idea there as well.

I did have a short lived board game night at the Albright library up in Clark summit ,but my work schedule changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Lynch
United States
Throop
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, most of them will never be on facebook and probably won't bother with any gaming forums either. Lets assume that I am the only connection they have to facebook or here haha.

I will say, some of them either smoke cigarettes/pot or drink which is why we/they usually meet at houses that allow these things. maybe not inside but they can take a smoke break outside. I like to have a nice beer or two while playing(some of them call me a beer snob because of the beers i drink )

I'm sure that would be an issue at alot of public places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoppel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paxhcndria wrote:
Honestly, most of them will never be on facebook and probably won't bother with any gaming forums either. Lets assume that I am the only connection they have to facebook or here haha.

I will say, some of them either smoke cigarettes/pot or drink which is why we/they usually meet at houses that allow these things. maybe not inside but they can take a smoke break outside. I like to have a nice beer or two while playing(some of them call me a beer snob because of the beers i drink )

I'm sure that would be an issue at alot of public places.

Well, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with anyone taking breaks for smoking, although I just hit fifteen months smoke-free so I'd probably not partake myself.

At this point, I'd feel a bit weird joining a group at someone's home that I don't know, but what I think I'm going to do is get in touch with the library again and set a day, maybe a Saturday next month, and just post it everywhere for people to come by and play, and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoppel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j-train1 wrote:
You might want to go over and check out MEETUP for there are 2 game groups now in the valley. NEPA board gamers and Luzerne county gamers, you can advertise you idea there as well.

I did have a short lived board game night at the Albright library up in Clark summit ,but my work schedule changed.

Thanks for the head's up, James! Those Meetup groups must be fairly new, I checked in November before contacting the library on Meetup, and there were no board game groups.
If you're interested in ours, let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Lynch
United States
Throop
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found and joined this one on meetup but it seems that they mainly meet at peoples houses also.

http://www.meetup.com/NEPA-board-game-group/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hoppel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just set up our first event, coming up Saturday, Feb. 15 in downtown Scranton. Please join us!

http://www.meetup.com/NEPA-board-game-group/events/164231062...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.