Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the 2014 European Maths Trade:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/168201/january-2014-eu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy New Year, everyone! And happy trading :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I´m eager to take part in a math trade for the first time, so I´d ask some (maybe silly) questions:

If I tick the same games I want for multiple items I give, could it in theory happen, that I get the same game twice??

Is there some sort of condensed wishlist of all participants helping me to decide which of my games to offer? Or should I simply enter with everything I have for trade?

What about small games? Should I combine them to 1 item? Do the game I give and I get have to be of the same value??

Is there a limit for newbies?

Thanks for helping me! I´m looking forward to my first math trade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
If I tick the same games I want for multiple items I give, could it in theory happen, that I get the same game twice??

Yes. There is a duplicate protection system to prevent that. It can be a little tricky to work out at first and it has some restrictions but it's worth using.

smithlucas wrote:
Is there some sort of condensed wishlist of all participants helping me to decide which of my games to offer?

No. OLWLG compiles a list of all games that are on participating users' BGG wishlists. But for this to be comprehensive all users would have to keep their BGG wishlists up to date and regularly sync their BGG profiles with OLWLG. Only a few users do that.

smithlucas wrote:
Or should I simply enter with everything I have for trade?

Yes.

smithlucas wrote:
What about small games? Should I combine them to 1 item?

Depends on the games, really. From experience I'd say bundling up several mediocre games won't help much. It's a very selective crowd around here. Many participants already have an extensive game collections and therefore are picky about what to add.

smithlucas wrote:
Do the game I give and I get have to be of the same value??

No but they very likely will be (within a certain margin). The system kind of depends on people assigning different values to the the same items. If you could put a one and only true price tag on every item, there probably wouldn't be any trades.

smithlucas wrote:
Is there a limit for newbies?

Not that I'm aware of.

smithlucas wrote:
Thanks for helping me! I´m looking forward to my first math trade!

Have fun :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for answering all my questions, Benjamin!thumbsup

As you can see, I´ve now entered with some games, let´s see if anyone is interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternative to Royal Mail from UK?
Is there a good alternative to Royal Mail for shipping from UK to Europe? Their prices aren't exactly cheap!

I'd like to participate, but the cost of sending a sort-of mid-weight-range game seems to be around £17.50 (with £50 insurance cover), which would make any 'readily available' game cost-prohibitive to trade, it seems.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping cost is indeed an issue! I don´t need the games I offer any more, so I virtually have the chance to buy each game for the shipping cost! I can´t help with UK, but how do you Germans ship?? (DhL/Hermes/...??)

Alternatively pick a UK only math trade, than you don´t need to ship internationally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Stein
Germany
76133 Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
but how do you Germans ship?? (DhL/Hermes/...??)

DHL is the cheapest. Compared to other EU countries (UK *urg*) they are really cheap:

- Up to 2 KG, maximum length of all sides added up = 90 cm, while no side length can exceed 60 cm = 9 €.
- Up to 5 KG, max 120 x 60 x 60 cm = 15 €.
- Up to 10 KG, max 120 x 60 x 60 cm = 22 €.
- Up to 20 KG, max 120 x 60 x 60 cm = 32 €.

Prices are actually one or two € more expensive if you don't buy the postage on-line but in the shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Is there a good alternative to Royal Mail for shipping from UK to Europe?

Not really.

Get a quote from http://www.parcel2go.com/ who offer shipping through a number of shipping partners and can be cheaper, depending on size and value of parcel - but it's still not cheap.

I've just about given up on European trading, only offer very light items or stick to the UK or sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
only offer very light items or stick to the UK or sell.

Thanks. Yes, that's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. It's possible to BUY from Europe (esp. Germany) with modest shipping costs, but not to sell! Hmm .... perhaps that says something about the reasons for the strength of the German economy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for UK: although it is suggested to offer free shipping in case of very heavy games if you write for example that usual shipping is 30 GBP and you are ok to cover first half, potential receiver can decide for himself whether he wants game or not.

I am mainly wargamer so games I am interested are not so common but for example when importing from USA I sometimes have to pay for shipping that equals game price. However if it is really good game I am ok with that.

Same can be if you have any high-quality difficult to obtain games you could be surprised that there are guys which would gladly pay difference for shipping. Also listing game to European Math Trade few times helped to sell game when potential buyer approached me and proposed that he will buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Hmm .... perhaps that says something about the reasons for the strength of the German economy!

Possibly, or that Germany is governed for the sake of it's people whereas the UK is governed for the sake of it's big businesses and their shareholders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I knew, shipping via royal mail to EU was still fairly cheap if you say the contents of the package is "papers". Then you don't have the huge jump when you go over 2kg...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You make an interesting point about the 'printed paper' prices:

1.25kg £9.30
1.5kg £10.75
1.75kg £12.20
2kg £13.65
Every 250g up to
5kg add £1.45

I don't know if it's stretching too much of a point to have games described as printed papers, but I guess as long as it's not say Tzolk'in, Acquire or Ora et Labora, it might be OK! Insurance is a problem, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
I can´t help with UK, but how do you Germans ship?? (DhL/Hermes/...??)

DHL / Deutsche Post usually is the way to go. BTW, I updated the EU Shipping Wiki earlier today with the 2014 prices for DHL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:

That's easier to understand than the Royal Mail's own tables! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
cuazzel wrote:

That's easier to understand than the Royal Mail's own tables! Thanks

Note that the UK prices to Europe in the Wiki only cover item cover up to £20 - if the value of the item you are sending is more than that you will need to pay more or make sure the recipient is aware of the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have Race for the Galaxy and expansions in French?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone has Ghost Stories: White Moon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
You make an interesting point about the 'printed paper' prices:

1.25kg £9.30
1.5kg £10.75
1.75kg £12.20
2kg £13.65
Every 250g up to
5kg add £1.45

I don't know if it's stretching too much of a point to have games described as printed papers, but I guess as long as it's not say Tzolk'in, Acquire or Ora et Labora, it might be OK! Insurance is a problem, though.

This has been suggested many times, and it is not allowed.

'Royal Mail' wrote:

Books and pamphlets
You can send books and pamphlets (meaning any papers ‘bound’ together), up to 5kg. Items between 2 and 5kg in weight which contain books or pamphlets must be marked as ‘Printed Papers’ in the top left hand corner on the front of the packet. You should not include personal correspondence with these items.

There are a few boardgames (usually old-school wargames) that may fit that description, but something made predominantly of card != a book or 'printed papers'. The slightly vague term is to cover magazines, comics, scientific journals, etc. Notably (due to the binding restriction) not most business/personal correspondence. Definitely not toys and games.

Please don't send this, as if inspected it will be impounded to await further payment from the recipient. Anyone is free to post 'it worked for me' responses (but that proves nothing), it is still a violation of the rules, like stating the weight wrong when using click and ship, you *will* get caught eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim: I believe this should be problem only for shipping outside EU. Within EU there are no customs so I suppose that there is much lesser change of inspection. Basically on international packages to EU our Czech Post not even demands some of fields like content, because it does not matter to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Stein
Germany
76133 Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamixx wrote:
Basically on international packages to EU our Czech Post not even demands some of fields like content, because it does not matter to them.

Yes and no. Yes, they usually (see below) don't demand knowledge of the content because there is no toll within EU.
However, rather no, if you send a package which costs are clearly defined by its content ("lose papers") they (should) start worrying about what you want to be delivered :P - This would be the case at Royal Mail. It works like this in Germany:

At Deutsche Post you even can't completely close your letter if it's being posted as "a book/books" shipment (Büchersendung). You have to use some kind of staples that the Post employees will be enabled to have a look at your packet's content fast and easy. Nevertheless, I've never heard of that a package had been opened and the shipment was denied (in case someone sent e.g. some CDs instead of a book...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but why do they (Deutsch Post/Royal Mail) do that (making sending books/paper cheaper)???
Actually they couldn´t care what they are transporting (as long it is of the same size and weight and it isn´t illegal, explosive, toxic,...)?

Is it because they (as (former) government enterprises) want to support education/reading?? Or do they hope, that books aren´t that valuable(=> insurance issue!) Or what?

(Admitedly, this is a bit off-topic, sorry!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Interesting, but why do they (Deutsch Post/Royal Mail) do that (making sending books/paper cheaper)???
Actually they couldn´t care what they are transporting (as long it is of the same size and weight and it isn´t illegal, explosive, toxic,...)?

Is it because they (as (former) government enterprises) want to support education/reading?? Or do they hope, that books aren´t that valuable(=> insurance issue!) Or what?

(Admitedly, this is a bit off-topic, sorry!)

I've always been curious about this myself. When I lived in the UK, I used the 'papers' loophole for math trades all the time (sent well over 30 games like this with no problems) and always wondered what it was about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Is it because they (as (former) government enterprises) want to support education/reading??

This, basically. Books are considered cultural assets and get many special treatments (like the lower VAT rate of 7% instead of 19% and the law for fixed book prices).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.