flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

As most of you are coming from the Kickstarter, you already know that the project is doing exceptionally well. Many upgrades have already been made and many more are to come. One of which is a Social Media based stretch goal and has to do with the size of cards that come with the game.

Here the text right from the KS page:

"1,000 Facebook Likes! Once the Gamelyn Games Facebook page reaches 1,000 likes, ALL the cards in the game will be UPGRADED to a larger, more formidable size. 5 x 3.5 inches instead of 2.5 x 3.5 inches."

Just to be clear, both the regular sized cards and the larger cards will be of premium quality stock. Both with have a linen embossed finish and both with be thick and sturdy. Also, either size with fit nicely in the same small box.

With that said, people have been voices opinions that support either side. Some want to keep them small, some want them large and some wnt them optional. If they become optional they would have to be implemented as an add-on for a small pledge boost to cover the cost of having to make both cards instead of just one.

So, I would like to poll all the backers of Tiny Epic Kingdoms to get a clear idea as to what the majority would like to see happen. I can assure you that either option is going to result in a high quality end product.

So, here it is:

Poll
Assuming we reach our Social Media goal, what size would you like the final cards to be in Tiny Epic Kingdoms?
I like the small cards. Keep the cards their original Black Jack size of 2.5 x 3.5 inches. Make the larger sized cards an add-on for those who want them.
I like the large cards. Keep the Social Media upgrade as is and print the game with the larger sized cards.
I'm indifferent and will be happy either way.
      516 answers
Poll created by mgcoe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I love the larger cards to show off the great artwork, but there is just something special about the small cards. Pulling out a small stack of cards and a few cubes, getting those wary looks from people doubting the game...and then seeing them in awe as the minimal components deliver BIG game play is just great. I think there will be less of this impact with the larger cards, but maybe that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naylor
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
I look for games like this to bring on travel and backpacking trips... there are very few meaningful games that pack well. I would be a little sad to see them get so much bigger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Unless folks plan on taking the game out of the box to transport it, the card size should be somewhat irrelevant. The box will be small, and I will keep my game in the box, which I am sure will be QUITE sturdy. If I took TEK backpacking, it would stay in the box. Just my opinion, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, honestly I am surprised by the poll results. As a self confessed sleever, I have to have the smaller cards. I would probably add-on a set of the larger cards as well, though, just to have them. At this rate it looks more likely that I will have to beg for a smaller card add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want ease of play and readability. 3.5 x 5 is a slight increase for a handful of cards, but will make playability significantly better, especially with meeples now. The game is still micro, portable and can be played anywhere. Why not make it convenient to actually play as well. There's a reason the designer made the stretch goal and a reason why the goal is or about to be reached. 99% of the time people play games at a table, not an airport, restaurant or pub. Make it small, but still convenient to play at a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tankersley
United States
Madison
ALABAMA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't care either way what size the cards were.
I'm much more interested in adding the ability to play with 5-6 players if possible.
Looking forward to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that the larger cards would use up space for more meeples so reducing the upper limit for for number of players without a box size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrnlegato wrote:
I look for games like this to bring on travel and backpacking trips... there are very few meaningful games that pack well. I would be a little sad to see them get so much bigger

Is 2 inches going to make a difference? I travel and boardgames come with me. This fits in my outer zipper carry on along with my IPad at 3.5 x 5.

I feel like we're talking the difference between Friday and Ogre when it's really just Friday and Coup (indie boards edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer to have both the card size.
The larger to play at home, the smaller to bring with me.

Please consider to add both types in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Waller
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I specifically waited for the larger cards to become available, as I have a friend who is legally blind and will have a much better time with the larger cards. In general I feel there are a good amount of people (including me) who prefer less squinting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately we're also going to get a lot of voters on both sides who simply loathe or love sleeves and want to see it go one way or the other. Wish we could just have this poll for the backers, but probably not a way to do that on KS. Maybe an upgrade for KS in the future. I'm sending in a suggestion!

In the meantime, keep the votes coming for larger cards. We play our games at a table and want to see the game, not squint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Speckhart
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Goodbye Mr. Burton
mbmbmbmbmb
framebrain wrote:
Unless folks plan on taking the game out of the box to transport it, the card size should be somewhat irrelevant. The box will be small, and I will keep my game in the box, which I am sure will be QUITE sturdy. If I took TEK backpacking, it would stay in the box. Just my opinion, of course...

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the larger size cards, why not make them 120 mm x 80mm which is just shy of 5" x 3.5". This is the size of Dixit cards and there are sleeves of that size available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orange_rhino wrote:
For the larger size cards, why not make them 120 mm x 80mm which is just shy of 5" x 3.5". This is the size of Dixit cards and there are sleeves of that size available.

Ding ding ding ding... we have a winner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in this game are not even used in a hand or shuffled. They are basically player boards and playing surfaces. To be able to see the icons and wording from across the table would make it easier on everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ayres
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LegoRick wrote:
Wow, honestly I am surprised by the poll results. As a self confessed sleever, I have to have the smaller cards. I would probably add-on a set of the larger cards as well, though, just to have them. At this rate it looks more likely that I will have to beg for a smaller card add-on.

I voted for large cards as the add-on, but if there were a small card add-on that would be cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The game was designed with small in mind, stick with it. If larger, I also agree with the dixit size, no need to create another special size. If larger, I would prefer the cards be thicker like tiles or player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orange_rhino wrote:

I like this!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Functionality over portability.

I'd rather be able to play the game, and enjoy the artwork, and not worry about it being fiddly - safe in the knowledge that I can still store it on my game shelf, and easily transport it from shelf to gaming table.
Than have a game that is fiddly, where I can't fully enjoy the artwork, and components, but can still store it on my shelf, and transport it to my table- "in my pocket", which I am never likely to do anyway.

Functionality over portability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiver & Orthia
New Zealand
Hamilton East
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
70x120mm cards are a standard Tarot size.

Card sleeves abound, and production is fairly standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Bigger cards would make it easier to play.

But if some people really want small cards, you could offer the small cards as an add-on for those who want them. That option is missing from your poll. Would those wanting small cards be willing to pay more for them, if the majority of backers opt for large cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even on a site that skews toward the minority, larger card size prevails. Give this same poll to the general gaming community and it would be even more overwhelming in favor of a bigger size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
Bigger cards would make it easier to play.

But if some people really want small cards, you could offer the small cards as an add-on for those who want them. That option is missing from your poll. Would those wanting small cards be willing to pay more for them, if the majority of backers opt for large cards?

Yes.

Unless, as has been previously stated, the larger cards are the correct dimensions for some of the larger sleeves available, then that would kill two birds with one stone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DiLoreto
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh.

Guess we can rename it Medium Sized Epic Kingdom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.