Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid, in the 80's, this was the most played game in any household. Sure, we all had Sorry, Snakes and Ladders, Risk, Chess and Checkers, etc, etc, but we always came back to Monopoly. I think it was the first game that really evoked my imagination of riches and real estate tycoon superiority. Monopoly was before we ever had any conceptions like house rules, board gaming as a hobby, serious Euro's or Ameritrash, etc. Maybe not exactly, but my point is that when we were kids, it was just Monopoly, and you probably learned how to play from a friend or a parent. Each time we played, there was always some sort of rule bending, or making up rules; whatever would facilitate making tons of money. Every game either had tons of money on free parking, or you start with more money, or you get more money at "Go". And someone would always try to evoke the real rules to make more fair. But we played so many different ways, I think I can't even recall what is a real rule or not. I bet most people are like this.

My favorite memories will always be when my brother and I would take 2 copies of the Monopoly board, and make a figure-8, with the "Free Parking" over lapping. We would put a lot of money on "Free Parking" and probably start with more money than normal. Then we'd run the board buying up properties and making hotels, and before we knew it the afternoon was up, and the game was never finished. But we had fun. And it was simple.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that Monopoly will always have a special place in my heart, when it comes to board gaming. It was the game you played. You didn't rate it, review it, critique it. Well, you only criticized it when you lost - "this game is dumb!" You only enjoyed it because it was the game that allowed you to flex your "money making" superiority to the rest of your family, your younger brother, your friends, etc. Even if you had to hide an extra $500 under the game board, that you'd slip out in front of you when no one was paying attention.

I'm sure most people reading this, will agree with me, that though you don't play Monopoly anymore, you still have fond memories of the game. So why is there this negativity in the board gaming community for Monopoly? If I was rating a list of games, I wouldn't consider this game for my list because it's just "priceless". It's simply a great game that probably paved the way to me loving "board gaming" in general. I would never "judge" it with some elitist attitude you hear from some. If it wasn't for the eternal success of Monopoly, you might not have the amazingly awesome hobby you have today. Monopoly is quite frankly the "King of Games" and always will be. Just like Chess and Checkers, you will never be able to crack the eternal life of this game.

I encourage you to love Monopoly. Remember the games you played. Appreciate the experiences you had. And if you ever see someone playing, don't thumb your nose at it - sit down and join in! If you hear someone talking about playing it, don't insult them because you're too "cool" to consider that game anymore. As a "boardgamegeek", you sound like the bully in high school that tortured you with their condemning words. I love so many games; but nothing in any ones top 100 will transcend Monopoly. Not yet anyway. Monopoly is not the greatest game I've ever played, but it is extremely significant and important to every other game I love.

And if you completely disagree with me, sit down with a couple kids and play (or teach) a game of Monopoly. See what happens. Maybe the love will come back?

Happy gaming friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
That just isn't my experience.

I played Monopoly because my family played. The instant I discovered wargames I never looked back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your entire argument centers around nostalgia. But even when I was a kid I was smart enough to realize that this game was too long and not very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
vfxtrev wrote:
Monopoly is quite frankly the "King of Games" and always will be.

I was thinking you were sincere until I hit this over the top sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont hate many games, can tolerate most..but Monopoly is just awful. It absolutely stuns me its so popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could fail as badly as Monopoly!

And George Lucas. I wish I could fail like him, too! laugh

In my experience, who you game with is as important as what you play together. With a table of strangers, the game better be a good one. But great friends can play almost anything (even Monopoly) and still have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garviel Loken
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We never really played Monopoly as a family, we were usually all about card games (and HeroQuest!). I've probably played Monopoly more as an adult, mostly grudgingly.

Once I discovered 'designer' games though, Monopoly was never an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shua Smith
United States
Bartlesville
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vfxtrev wrote:
I encourage you to love Monopoly. Remember the games you played. Appreciate the experiences you had. And if you ever see someone playing, don't thumb your nose at it - sit down and join in!

Well, I don't see someone playing Monopoly and thumb my nose at it, I see it as an in and tell them about games like T2R. Also I think it's less that the gaming community is totally negative towards it, I think it is more that we are negative towards the idea that this is the game everyone thinks when we mention let's play a board game.

"Board game? Great, roll some dice, move a piece, pay some money, and someone will be way ahead after an hour yet it may go on for 3 more."

This is the real negativity in the BG community. I'm sure plenty of people will agree that we enjoyed playing Monopoly growing up but you know what I liked even more, Risk. Axis and Allies. Chess. Spades. Canasta. Poker. Skip-Bo. Rummikuub. Yahtzee. Even as a kid I realized that games that required skill and thought were more entertaining that Monopoly. I still enjoyed holding the money though.

vfxtrev wrote:
And if you completely disagree with me, sit down with a couple kids and play (or teach) a game of Monopoly. See what happens. Maybe the love will come back?

Having kids I can say no... no the love does not come back. It's ok and easy to teach but... meh. In an age of video games and youtube kids aren't going to be totally engrossed in it but, I agree in getting kids playing games. PLAY GAMES WITH YOUR KIDS! That is the best part of this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really liked Monopoly growing up. We only played my copy a couple times when I first got it for one of my birthdays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris P
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's okay. Like most here, once I discovered the deep board games available it dropped significantly in ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took TTR, Forbidden Island, Love Letter, and Hanabi to Christmas this year and everyone was loving them. After a little while, my youngest cousin (about 12) asked to play Monopoly and we played again with the real rules. No one enjoyed it except him. He really enjoyed rolling and the tension that comes from hoping you don't get whatever numbers so I was happy for him, but honestly everyone else was just waiting for the game to end and eventually we just said "ok so and so is clearly going to win, let's box it up" and we played TTR again. That same cousin liked TTR and FI better than Monopoly at the end of the day too.

I agree that Monopoly will always have a nostalgic flare for me, but it's more Monopoly Jr and on top of that it's not the game Monopoly, it's that I was playing with my parents and siblings and that's one of the only games we happened to have. Monopoly is sitting on my shelf because my mom gave it to me when I moved into my place for the first time, but it's yet to be opened. It will likely be there forever but I know that I'm going to be pulling out many other games when my kids are old enough to play games. Monopoly is fine, it isn't horrible, but there are SO many other games I'd rather play. I'm sure I'll have to play my share of Candyland and Hi-Ho Cherry-O until the kids are older, but once a kid is old enough to grasp Monopoly he can grasp Ticket to Ride...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross W
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While some of the nostalgia might be there it's a symptom, not an ideal.

When my kid grows up, he is going to say the same thing about King of Tokyo, Forbidden Island, Click Clack Lumberjack and others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a fantastic time playing the game as a kid. Would spend the chunk of some summer days sitting on my neighbors back stoop playing game after game with my friends, using rocks to hold down the money so the wind wouldn't blow it away.

We'd play some street hockey, maybe a pickup football or baseball game then in the evening we'd break it out again. I played many many different games but always enjoyed monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Monopoly is nowhere as bad as people here claim. A lot of it is down to many people on BGG hating randomness, games that take over an hour and negotiation. And Monopoly contains all three.

But it's nowhere near as good as you're suggesting either.

To be fair, we have to compare it to other family games, not adult hobby games.

Even there, there were a lot of far superior games we preferred as kids.

Clue and Ulcersare much better games, as is Dungeon! (although that's shading into hobby games). Even for straightforward roll and move games, there was Pay Day, Ratrace and the lesser known classic Nessie Hunt.

You have to give Monopoly some credit for being ahead of its time, but that's about it. I honestly can't see anything I can get from playing Monopoly that I can't get from other games that do it better.

My nephew is just about hitting the age where he's ready to move onto gaming and, unless he really wants to, I'll bypass Monopoly entirely.

Mind you, if he asks to play Agricola I'm writing him out of my will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I hated Monopoly even when I was a little kid. Long, boring, pain-in-the-ass game with no interesting choices and a bunch of lame street names no one cares about. We much preferred Solarquest, which is superficially Monopoly in space (which is already ten times cooler than Atlantic City), but lets you make interesting decisions like trying to stay in a planetary system to rack up multi-property bonuses or skipping through as fast as possible to avoid other players' moons. It was also a crucial first lesson in learning to abuse rules, as if you run out of fuel, you lose, but if you land on another player's moon and they haven't set up a fuel station, you can force them to sell to you so you can set up your own, and thus was born the strategy of intentionally keeping your fuel low to perform hostile takeovers of properties, as well as keeping yourself from being able to escape the gravity well of a planetary system that you dominated. (The latter, admittedly, could lead to a stalemate, as each player holed up in a system they owned and no one every paid any rent.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a kid in the '50s I grew up with Monopoly. My family played it often and we loved it.

I'll teach my grandson games, not Monopoly, but I do have great memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Monopoly can serve as a pretty good introduction to bare bones negotiation and the "play to win" mentality without many sophisticated bells and whistles.

Of course, growing up, we played it totally wrong, so this wasn't the case. Free Parking and no auctions just prolonged the game until someone literally rolled to victory.

However, the way I understand the championships work is that alliances form to get people out of the game ASAP. Obviously, those alliances have to shatter at some point and the key to victory is to shrewdly position yourself to be able to win when it is heads-up play.

I don't think there are many families that play that way, but I am surprised more gamers don't. It seems to be a primal example of "I win and you all lose" idea and it is just bare-bones mathematics with no shiny mechanics.

On the one hand, maybe that is why gamers don't play it much...on the other hand, it is hard to think of a more brutal game of gladiatorial math and negotiation.

Sure, Diplomacy, but this is much quicker when played by experienced players.

I think the "family" idea kills it. It isn't really a family game when played by the rules.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
First I started to study books on Chess. My non-chess High school friends played Monopoly so I followed suit. I read the Monopoly rules (which is why I despise house rules and variants) then got a couple books on the subject. Soon we out grew Monopoly (I also won frequently after that). After that we moved into board games, then literally grew up and moved away. I still play Monopoly on rare occasions (and still usually win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family never really played Monopoly.

Instead, we played Dungeon.

Both are terrible games.

To this day, I have no fun playing Monopoly but a lot of fun playing Dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Monopoly is a bad game, but i do agree that the game is too long, and just antiquated by todays standards. That being said, i won't hate on people who love Monopoly. Moby Dick is a classic novel, and there are folks who love reading it, does that make it bad? No. I have the opinion that Monopoly was great and innovative for it's time, but has been surpassed. I think the gaming hobby owes alot to Monopoly, both good and bad, but it should at least be respected even if you don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others that have already stated that you are confusing "love" with nostalgia. There are tons of things we loved as kids that just don't cut the mustard today. I think the other issue you face here is that you are trying to compare something mainstream with something niche. No one in the hobby really plays monopoly style games.

If monopoly was a new release in 2014 would it be a game you would buy or even try? I doubt that many of the games we played as kids would capture our attention as they did when we were kids.

I think another thing is that those games we played as kids weren't games we "wanted" to play. They were things our parents bought for us. I never asked my folks for monopoly, stratego, risk, life or any of those games. They were just what Hasbro and Parker Bro had out there. I think that games today are just way more fun and interesting to all ages. Just about every non gamer that we ask if they want to play board games respond the same way...."bored" games...and they do so because their only experience has been playing games like monopoly. I think this is why we are constantly ragging on monopoly as we are constantly defending the games we love as not being like monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Monopoly is to BGG users as Britney Spears is to indie rock fans.

There will be some who grew up on Britney and have a soft spot in their heart for her because of it, but most will hiss at you if you ask for their opinion of Britney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Monopoly every once in w while, but it was never one of my family's main games. Those games were Park and Shop, Life, and Chinese Checkers. My favorite was and is Park and Shop. It is now one of my kids favorites, and my grandkids. We also had a homemade board game my grandmother made called Fox and Geese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Meynell
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly really is not that bad. I recently wrote a review of Monopoly which is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1082568/is-classic-monopoly-...

The game is perfectly entertaining, although outdated. It gets wrecked by house rules and the complete delusion that there is no skill to it so that people don`t play with a strategy. Its major flaw is that it is slow.

Would I ever suggest a game of Monopoly - No. Would I ever refuse a game of Monopoly - Also no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vfxtrev wrote:
Monopoly was before we ever had any conceptions like house rules...
My favorite memories will always be when my brother and I would take 2 copies of the Monopoly board, and make a figure-8, with the "Free Parking" over lapping. We would put a lot of money on "Free Parking" and probably start with more money than normal.

I don't think we are working with the same definition of "house rules"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.