Subject: Belated Happy New Year 2014 - US Only Math Trade (DISCUSSION) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Trade list: Belated Happy New Year 2014 - US Only Math Trade
Request list: Belated Happy New Year 2014 - US Only Math Trade (REQUESTS)

Dates
- Submissions close: Saturday Jan 18 at 8pm PST
- Wants due: Tuesday Jan 21 at 8pm PST
- Results posted: As soon as I can after close (probably about an hour)

Have any questions? Here's the place to post them.

- 21 Jan 8pm: Want submissions closed. Running TradeMaximizer. Results up in the morning (6:30am PST).
- 22 Jan 6:30am: Results are up. http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=... Not official yet, so just have a look at them for now.
- 22 Jan 9am: IT'S OFFICIAL! Set up those trades and ship away.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Every man is as God made him, aye, and often worse." -Miguel de Cervantes
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. Board and card games, BGG-related items, RPG items, video games, gift certificates, and Geek Gold are allowed in this math trade.

At this time, one can only post Board game items. You might want to open it up to RPGs and Video games since you say they're allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
sos1 wrote:
At this time, one can only post Board game items. You might want to open it up to RPGs and Video games since you say they're allowed.

Good catch! Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for hosting this Noel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As well as DVD/Blurays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
dasfungames wrote:
As well as DVD/Blurays!

I hadn't specifically listed those, but they're not that different from video games, so I added them in the allowed items for the trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you see about having this trade added to the OLWLG? It's a lot easier to add items previously entered in other math trades once it's in there already.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
didn't see in either of the math trade instructional links how to enter 2 copies if i want to enter them together in 1 listing. Or should i add second as sweetener?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
didn't see in either of the math trade instructional links how to enter 2 copies if i want to enter them together in 1 listing. Or should i add second as sweetener?

You would add the second copy as a sweetener, if you intend to include both in the same listing. If you intend to list two copies of the same game separately, you can use:

%Options%
Copies: 2
%End%

This indicates that you have two copies, listed separately.

Otherwise, just insert the geeklink for the second item in the description for the first, and it will appear as a sweetener.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:

If you wish to send both copies together as a single deal, list the second copy as a sweetener.

If you wish to trade them separately, use the copies option. (Note that, prevents someone from getting both copies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah ok, thanks to you both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Can you see about having this trade added to the OLWLG? It's a lot easier to add items previously entered in other math trades once it's in there already.

Thanks!

While true, I believe jeffyjeff has to add this to the olwlg initially, then Noel can sync the lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
SirWashington wrote:

If you wish to send both copies together as a single deal, list the second copy as a sweetener.

If you wish to trade them separately, use the copies option. (Note that, prevents someone from getting both copies).

This is important to remember for anybody wanting to trade multiple copies of something when somebody might want both copies, such as gc or collectible items. Whereas multiple copies of a typical board game such add eclipse it is easier for everyone if you use the % copies% option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
hestiansun wrote:

Thanks!

All done. It had to be entered manually by jeffyjeff, so that took a couple of hours, but it's all ready to go now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Theriault
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
This is going to be my first math trade and I'm pretty stoked. One question: How does the algorithm determine the value of each game? Thanks in advance!

-Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
usaairforceeod wrote:
One question: How does the algorithm determine the value of each game?

-Bill

It doesn't. It simply matches up who wants what and optimizes the trade for all users. Someone else can give a more detailed explanation but you determine the value based on what you checkmark

#1 rule - do not checkmark anything you are not okay trading off (or receiving)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
usaairforceeod wrote:
This is going to be my first math trade and I'm pretty stoked. One question: How does the algorithm determine the value of each game? Thanks in advance!

-Bill

It doesn't. You put in what games you have for trade. Then when the math trade gets to the the offers segment you pick the games you want in trade for each game you put up for trade individually. Thus you could say you yourself determine the value of each game because you're deciding what you will and will not trade it for.

Best if you haven't to go in and look at the math trade tutorial videos to get a good solid idea of how it all works. It's not complicated and most of the time when people have questions it's often because they think it's more complex than it really is.

Oh and one last thing. Welcome and good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Theriault
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks guys. I understand now. I was thinking I listed what I had then checked what I wanted and then magic happened and I got trades haha. I didn't realize that I pick what I would trade for each of my games. Appreciate your friendly and fast responses! Can't wait to see this baby in action!

-Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
usaairforceeod wrote:
Thanks guys. I understand now. I was thinking I listed what I had then checked what I wanted and then magic happened and I got trades haha. I didn't realize that I pick what I would trade for each of my games. Appreciate your friendly and fast responses! Can't wait to see this baby in action!

-Bill

A few suggestions for you Bill as this is your first time. Don't put up more than two games for your first time. Easier to keep it all even in your head when you only have two.

Also pick two middle of the road games. Don't pick your most expensive piece of trade bait but at the same time don't pick something at the low end. Best for your first time to have something that will get you some action but you don't risk to much if you make an error in setting up your wants. Unlikely as that may be but still best safe first time.

Lastly don't feel you need to make a trade and put in game on your wants that you might not be happy with in the end. Math trades are like a bus. There will always be another one along in a bit so no need to feel you have to make a trade. I only make trades in about 1/3 of the math trades I enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry P
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been lurking this site for a while but only recently joined.

I watched Rahdo's math trades videos to get an understanding but there are things I still don't understand.

1. How do trades get picked? Like in this I want dracula, but he doesn't want the house on haunted I list.. Does the trade die? Or is it a multiple person trade? My game goes to a I get b and person a sends to c? Guess I should read. It's a a to b to c.. Trade. So if I don't pick anything, I get skipped in the trade.

2. I'm nervous over the trustworthiness of people. Being my first time and all....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bbadboy5151 wrote:
I've been lurking this site for a while but only recently joined.

I watched Rahdo's math trades videos to get an understanding but there are things I still don't understand.

1. How do trades get picked? Like in this I want dracula, but he doesn't want the house on haunted I list.. Does the trade die? Or is it a multiple person trade? My game goes to a I get b and person a sends to c? Guess I should read. It's a a to b to c.. Trade. So if I don't pick anything, I get skipped in the trade.

2. I'm nervous over the trustworthiness of people. Being my first time and all....

1. these chains get really long--the last US math trade featured just three trade chains and almost a thousand individual trades in those chains. They loop around and back again. It is pretty neat.

2. This is a pretty solid community. Anyone who doesn't fulfill their end if the bargain gets labelled a bad trader and isn't allowed to participate again--I've never seen this happen in many years of doing math trades.

If you are concerned about it, I would suggest starting out with only one or two mid-value games so you limit your exposure, and get to see how it works. A new trade will roll around within a couple of months if you want to dive in with more vigor after getting your toes wet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Bbadboy5151 wrote:

2. This is a pretty solid community. Anyone who doesn't fulfill their end if the bargain gets labelled a bad trader and isn't allowed to participate again--I've never seen this happen in many years of doing math trades.

If you are concerned about it, I would suggest starting out with only one or two mid-value games so you limit your exposure, and get to see how it works. A new trade will roll around within a couple of months if you want to dive in with more vigor after getting your toes wet.

Good advice, also, you can decide to only want things from people with enough trade feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
Bbadboy5151 wrote:

Good advice, also, you can decide to only want things from people with enough trade feedback.

You can check a user's trade rating by clicking their user name then looking on the right hand side of their profile under "trades". It is the number in the parenthesis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Thompson
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is there a way to easily add items to the Geeklist? I'm at the point now where I'm not adding a couple of games and adding one by one will be quite the task. I know I've seen it mentioned somewhere but there certainly is an easier way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Outinthedark wrote:
Is there a way to easily add items to the Geeklist? I'm at the point now where I'm not adding a couple of games and adding one by one will be quite the task. I know I've seen it mentioned somewhere but there certainly is an easier way?

You can use the OLWLG to add games. In that case, you can pick games from your collection that you have marked For Trade, or you can add games that you put up for trade in earlier MT. Super handy!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you add games from your collection, the OLWLG will automatically use your "Trade Condition" as the default description. If you add from a previous MT, it will default to using the same description you used last time. Those defaults are the reason it is such a time-saver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [32] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.