8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Where to post question? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyndi Simpson
msg tools
Hi,

I'm looking for the hex edit information to unlock the demo version of Iron Dragon into the full version....in what forum would I post that question?

Thank you!

Cyndi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyndisaras wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for the hex edit information to unlock the demo version of Iron Dragon into the full version....in what forum would I post that question?

Thank you!

Cyndi

Wrong group of folks to ask!!

BGG isn't a hacker group to circumvent vendor restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyndi Simpson
msg tools
Well - you made a boatload of assumptions there.

The game is defunct and no longer available from the vendor, though the demo version is still floating around out there. Before they went under, I sent them money for the game ($35.00) after calling and speaking with someone directly. Game to be emailed. Never got it. They're now out of business.

So, from an ethical viewpoint, I think I'm fine. Just getting what I paid for.

This is the e-version of a board game that I love dearly. Would rather play it live with lovely humans, but they are not available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
No assumptions made.

Wrong group of folks to ask.

BGG isn't a hacker group who circumvent vendor restrictions.

Further, providing such information to be used in the way you describe would likely be in violation of the terms of use of this site.

(This isn't to say I don't have any sympathy for your predicament. I've found myself locked out of a couple of applications that I've paid for. Really annoying.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
I did a quick search for you, Eden Studios, the publisher has been bought by Infrogrames which is now using the name Atari.

You might try your luck with Atari.

You could also try to contact either Tom Wham or John Szinger. Both are connected to the boardgame and the latter also did the graphics for the computer game.

Maybe they still know someone from the old Eden Studios who can help you out.

Their websites:
http://www.tomwham.com/irondrag.html
http://zingman.com/art/ironart.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyndisaras wrote:
Well - you made a boatload of assumptions there.

The game is defunct and no longer available from the vendor, though the demo version is still floating around out there. Before they went under, I sent them money for the game ($35.00) after calling and speaking with someone directly. Game to be emailed. Never got it. They're now out of business.

So, from an ethical viewpoint, I think I'm fine. Just getting what I paid for.

This is the e-version of a board game that I love dearly. Would rather play it live with lovely humans, but they are not available.

I do apologize for the answer's curt tone. I did notice the new user badge and should have welcomed you to BGG first. We really are a friendly group and like to have new members. I could have then explained my answer a bit more.

With a little more information from you, Aenea did some digging and gave a great answer. I do fully sympathize with your problem.

Again, welcome to BGG.
Herb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
On January 21, 2013, Atari Inc., Atari Interactive Inc., Humongous, Inc. and California US Holdings, Inc. (collectively, the "Companies") filed petitions for relief under chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. With this move, the U.S.-based Atari operations sought to separate from the structural financial encumbrances of their French parent holding company, Atari S.A. (formerly Infogrames S.A.) and secure independent capital for future growth, primarily in the areas of digital and mobile games.

Here's the latest news I could find:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-23/atari-files-turnaro...

None of this is good news. But if you're anywhere near me, my group has played Iron Dragon a few times recently, if we're talking about the railroad game. Where ever you are, you may be able to find some players through BoardGameGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some additional info: A computer game for the rest of the Empire Builder Rail Games (not Iron Dragon) is here: Empire Builder Pronto. Of the other Empire Builder games, Lunar Rails and Martian Rails are much like Iron Dragon, but without foremen or ships. The rest of the Empire Builder games are similar, but with two $20 million train upgrades instead of four $10 million upgrades (and they sometimes have some features not found in ID).

Empire Builder Pronto is pretty expensive for what it is, and but it's also a very, very strong player. One of my regular players is a many-time national champion, and Empire Builder Pronto beats him sometimes. (So do I, rarely.)

Another free option is Pluto Scarab Rails. This game works with user-developed maps, and generates random maps. You can adjust options to get it closer to the Empire Builder games, but it's really just a similar game. Development seems to have stopped, the AI players are weak, and it doesn't work with modern versions of Windows--though it runs under Win7 in a restricted account, but not in an Admin account; I haven't tried this fix in Win8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.