Popular Tags: [View All]
J Kight
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off - my family is really enjoying the game! However they have asked about the wording on a few action spell cards which I would like to pass on.

Explosive Quake allows one to special guess 2 consecutive letters - pretty clear.

Blizzard says one can guess the next 2 letters after an incorrect special guess - pretty clear.

Dimensional Rip, however, says to special guess 4 adjacent letters. My wife would like to believe this means adjacent letters based on the letter bank on the left side of the card. For example, K is adjacent to E, J, L, Q (discounting diagonals). I can understand, but even the terminology section at the back of the rule book says adjacent means letters which are consecutive in the alphabet.

I think it means that one could guess H and then perhaps G or I depending on how well the H guess goes, and not be tied to guessing the next consecutive letter. In essence, one can guess either "up" or "down" the alphabet.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Webb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Got to play this for the first time today, just the free PnP edition I believe. We had the same discussion.

Seems to me the person who is playing the Dimensional Rip card also tends to be the person in favor of the adjacent-on-the-card rule, am I right? I hadn't considered your suggestion of allowing you to choose your next letter based on the success of previous letters, that make adjacent-in-the-alphabet more distinct from 'consecutive', and is probably the right way to play it.

My opponent interpreted it as adjacent-on-the-card, including diagonals, but requiring him to choose all 4 at once. Sounds overpowered, but in our case he managed to guess no correct letters, so perhaps the verdict is still out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kight
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until I hear otherwise, we've been playing the Dimensional Rip where an adjacent letter is one prior to or next in the alphabet (skipping over letters which have been guessed this turn - example: E, then D, then maybe F where one could go next to either C or G). It seems to work well enough that way as long as it is explained as such beforehand. This card is more useful at the beginning of a word when there is open space in the letter block than later.

We interpret Dual Strikers to mean that both letter guesses must be given before revealing them as present or not in the word, but not for something like Spirit Strike. For most cards one gets only one initial special guess anyway then maybe a second guess if the first is correct or not. And for those cards in which one must guess consecutive letters, it doesn't make much difference if all guesses are given first or not.

However Dimensional Rip is different. Since that card does not state otherwise, we play where guesses are given and revealed one by one (like Witchdoctor's Brew) so that one may choose the letter previous or next.

It's fun, regardless. Nothing quite like that quizzical look on your opponent's face as they try to figure out such words as ONYX and OXYGEN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.