Popular Tags: [View All]
rafael fig
United States
coaldale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish that there were places that do for Board Gamers what bars do for drinkers. It's 10:00 PM and I feel like a game. I should have a place that I could just walk in, order up some King of Tokyo dice and bash a few heads for a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 484631. star2pilot
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:42 am
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We basically tried that at my store with my collection. 500 games to choose from and only $2.00 for an entire day. Its a bargain and nobody would do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say hello to Snakes and Lagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael fig
United States
coaldale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that it is an unmanageable prospect; heck you'd have to zone a major city just for there to be enough people in a given place to make it solvent, but my Wishes don't understand economics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like the Storm Crow Tavern?

Note the game collection in the back corner - this is an old photo, they've built a new shelf for it that's moved out more into the main area.

And they have a large long table you can reserve (like I did for my birthday last month).

(I am not in the above photo)

They also have the best menu in town (the food is pretty good too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael fig
United States
coaldale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
only half a continent away... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
star2pilot wrote:
I wish that there were places that do for Board Gamers what bars do for drinkers. It's 10:00 PM and I feel like a game. I should have a place that I could just walk in, order up some King of Tokyo dice and bash a few heads for a bit.

Plenty of places where you can do this, just don't forget to wear your running shoes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
star2pilot wrote:
only half a continent away... shake

Worth it for the shooter menu on the back page - 20 shots. If you choose your shot, it's $6. If you roll a d20, it's only $5, but you get what you roll. And the 20 is a Critical Hit, which means a double and you get to keep the shot glass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
star2pilot wrote:

When someone runs a boardgame bar, they have to offer the games the customers want to play. It's not an "instant opponent generator". Everyone in the place will already be playing something with their friends. Even if you find someone free, what if they're a eurosnob and hate the game you want to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Tan
Australia
Townsville
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about bars, bur I know there are decent number of board game cafes all around Malaysia and Singapore. There's one chain that that charges a few dollars per hour of gaming that surprising is popular enough to open multiple stores. Everytime I go it's oddly always packed. I guess Malaysians love their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When someone runs a boardgame bar, they have to offer the games the customers want to play. It's not an "instant opponent generator". Everyone in the place will already be playing something with their friends. Even if you find someone free, what if they're a eurosnob and hate the game you want to play?

We usually just pair people up at our store.

"Joe, you have room for an extra guy right? This is Jose. He likes Waterdeep too. Your all gonna play together. Jose, Joe is an awesome guy and he'll take care of you. Have fun."

After about 4 months everyone in the store knows and plays with everyone. when someone new shows up we do the whole thing again. Most people are extremely happy to have someone break the ice for them. I find most people are happy to make friends and let other people play, they are just shy. So I fix that by just playing "have you met ted?" with every new guy that comes in.

a kid remarked to me just the other day that outside of the store people may not talk to each other, but inside the store everyone is friends and plays together and he was really happy we provided that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Giddens
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niels Bahr in Houston is an all geek themed bar that is pretty awesome...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neils-Bahr/618534184880635
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A "gaming bar" opened up in my town. I haven't been personally, so it's probably not fair for me to talk about it, but all reports I've gotten have said it doesn't work well. There is a palpable tension between gamers who just want to sit for several hours and play vs. the servers who want tips, for which they need to turn tables and sell food and drinks. Apparently this has lead to a sort of unfriendly atmosphere. They also apparently hiked up the price of food and drinks to compensate for lengthy stays. Even if justified, nobody wants to pay $8 for a beer when they can get it for $5 next door. I'm actually not unsympathetic to the business; it just seems like a hard way to make money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.