Owen Wagoner
United States
Olive Hill
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I'm encountering the Satyr with Seoni, and she has the Mirror Image spell, can it reduce the damage from the Satyr? I'm thinking that thematically it would make sense that it can since the Satyr would be attacking an illusion instead of the character. However, the Satyr card does say "may not be reduced" so I wasn't sure.

I can understand why armor can't reduce the mental damage he causes but this one I was thinking might be a loophole of sorts.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the interaction between these two cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. "Cannot be reduced" means cannot be reduced ... by anything. So mirror image won't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obitus2000 wrote:
If I'm encountering the Satyr with Seoni, and she has the Mirror Image spell, can it reduce the damage from the Satyr? I'm thinking that thematically it would make sense that it can since the Satyr would be attacking an illusion instead of the character. However, the Satyr card does say "may not be reduced" so I wasn't sure.

I can understand why armor can't reduce the mental damage he causes but this one I was thinking might be a loophole of sorts.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the interaction between these two cards?

Be very careful when using the "thematic" line of reasoning; once you open that can, it lets you reason away everything, and why bother with a rulebook when you can just use the theme?

Thematically, the Satyr is not attacking you physically but with music that causes your mind to hurt and your ears to bleed (heavy metal, for example), and this is an area attack that doesn't need line of sight. There's no beeswax item, so you can't plug your ears, and you simply scream in agony as your head bangs the ground really hard.

(The point is that, no, Mirror Image doesn't work here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Wagoner
United States
Olive Hill
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I did encounter this interaction we went with the "may not be reduced". However, I believe the argument could be made that Mirror Image could. Here is my thoughts on it and then I'll let this drop.

The Satyr card attack, in my mind, is not an area affect attack. The reason I believe that is because the damage isn't taken by anyone else at the location. Unlike a monster like the Hill Giant who specifies that the damage "is dealt to each character at this location". I would call that an area affect attack.

Also, I can see where Mirror Image wouldn't help against those attacks as it would hit all your characters mirror images as well as the character. I feel this is kind of indicated on Mirror Image as it can only reduce damage on your turn. So if another character at your location encounter the Hill Giant, Mirror Image wouldn't help you if that character failed to defeat him.

Finally, I guess what I'm saying is that I can see where Mirror Image wouldn't help against any area affect attacks (even on your turn actually). I can also see where it should be able to reduce damage from what I would call single target attacks, even if the card says "may not be reduced" (like it does on the Satyr and the Siren).

Just my thoughts on it. And I probably am over thinking this because of my history of playing the Pathfinder RPG with my gaming group. Also, I'm not trying to complain about the game. It's tied for my favorite game right now. I just thought this one interaction was not as clear cut as I would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card game has no "area of effect" attacks. It just has cards. I think that was the point about not trying to apply rules thematically. I could argue that thematically for me, the Satyr doesn't need to know which one of you is the real one because he can sense your brain and only you and not your images has a brain. And your check to defeat is using the wisdom in the sense that its your mental attempt to fend of his attack. So the attack takes place entirely in your brain. If you overpower him, he's defeated, if not you suffer damage only a purely mental level. So thematic argument just doesn't work.

But stripping away all themes and image and everything from the game, they really just wanted a card that if you failed against you had to take the damage no matter what, and also that wouldn't be easy for a portion of the characters to defeat, so they would be taking that damage. That kind of card has a large impact on difficulty, so they want a certain percentage of the cards to be this difficult.

If you want the thematic feel, make the theme fit the rules and not the rules fit the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.