10 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Abandoning region rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Taylor
msg tools
Hi everybody,
First time player here had a bad experience with my first game. Was hoping to clear up a rule that we argued about for WAY too long!

According to the how we read the rules in the Ready your troops phase it says you can abandon all your regions, but lose the Victory coins associated with them (how do you associate coins?), why wouldn't a player want to swoop up all his troops every time and then just come in from the corners of the board and reconquer the map crushing everybody? We were playing Smallworld Underground and I had Immortal Wisps, so I could just pick up all my dudes, conquer 10 territories and ruin my friends troops with no real penalty to me.
It feels counter intuitive to conquer territories just to pick everybody up and come in from the corner of the map next turn. There was no point to sitting and defending...
It wasn't fun at all, and didn't feel in the spirit of the game.
Please tell me we were playing wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Conquering a Region
To conquer a Region, a player must have available to deploy:
2 Race tokens + 1 additional Race token for each Black Mountain,
each Mushroom Armor and the Keep on the Motherland marker;
+ 1 additional Race token for each Monster token or other player's
Race token already present in the Region.

Immortal Will-o’-Wisps have 10 units so either you are a supreme god at rolling dice with the Will-o’-Wisp's ability or you are using too few units when conquering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
msg tools
[q="allstar64"]
Quote:

Immortal Will-o’-Wisps have 10 units so either you are a supreme god at rolling dice with the Will-o’-Wisp's ability or you are using too few units when conquering.

A)I ready my troops before I conquer, yes?
B)If I can abandon all of my territories CAN start at the edge of the map?
C)I can then start wrecking any of my friends territories that are low on troops?
D)Because I'm immortal when I regroup I get to do it all over again?

Why WOULDN'T I start with 10 guys and spiral outward to kill as many opposing units as I can? Again, I feel like I have a fundamental misunderstanding of this game, but between all of our friends playing we couldn't figure out what the rules were trying to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
You have 10 units. Conquering a enemy unit will cost you at least 3 units unless you get luck with your rolls. Above where you said:

Quote:
so I could just pick up all my dudes, conquer 10 territories

Implies that you are somehow using 10 units to conquer 10 territories some of which are occupied by at least 1 unit despite the fact you need 3 units minimum to conquer an occupied territory and 2 units minimum to conquer an unoccupied territory (ignoring powers). When you factor in your Will-o’-Wisps ability you would probably need in the ballpark of 20 units to realistically reliably conquer 10 regions every turn.

Hence what you described is only possible by the real rules if your rolling with the Will-o’-Wisps was ungodly good (back to back 2s and 3s basically).

Abandoning an reconquering a region takes 2 units. Holding onto a region takes 1 unit. Hence abandoning all your regions will in likelihood score you fewer points that picking up and attacking which makes it a rather poor move to abuse it in 3+ player games. If you are playing 2 player where every point you take away from your opponent indirectly gets you a point this is much more viable but still not necessarily your best move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finigan wrote:
A)I ready my troops before I conquer, yes?

Yes.
Quote:
B)If I can abandon all of my territories CAN start at the edge of the map?

Yes.
Quote:
C)I can then start wrecking any of my friends territories that are low on troops?

Yes, but remember they only lose one token from each territory you conquer and get to redistribute the rest to their remaining regions.
Quote:
D)Because I'm immortal when I regroup I get to do it all over again?

You can do it all again your next turn. Not sure what you mean by "regroup".
Quote:
Why WOULDN'T I start with 10 guys and spiral outward to kill as many opposing units as I can?

Because in order to score victory points you need to control as many regions as possible (for most race/power combos). If you're attacking other players you're using at least 3 tokens to take a region. If you leave some of your tokens on the board it only takes one to hold a region.

Quote:
Again, I feel like I have a fundamental misunderstanding of this game, but between all of our friends playing we couldn't figure out what the rules were trying to say.

Quite possibly. Are you scoring and conquering correctly I wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say you start your turn with 10 tokens and we will ignore any special powers for now. You conquer an empty region on the edge of the board by placing 2 tokens in the region. You conquer an adjacent region that has another player's token and a mountain by placing 4 of your tokens in that region. You have now spent 6 tokens leaving you with 4. Next you conquer another region with a lost tribe token by placing 3 of you tokens. You now have 1 token left. With your last tiken you attempt to conquer an empty region by rolling the reenforcement die. You roll a 0 so you don't conquer the region.You now control 3 regions giving you 3 coins. You can redeploy you troups by moving them between the 3 regions you control and purting the extra token you had left over into one of those 3 regions. Your turn is done.

On your next turn you take all your race tokens but leave 1 in each ofthe 3 regions you control. You conquer more regions using the other 7 tokens. At the end of your turn, you score 3 coins for the regions you stillcontrol from the first round plus 1 coin for each new region you conquered this turn.

If you had taken all your tokens back at the start of your turn, you wouldn't score the 3 coins for those regions you still controlled from your first turn.

Your special powers will usually allow you to conquer regions easier or score you extra coins. If you get to the point where your active race is controlling most of your regions with only 1 token, then it's time to put them in decline by flipping them over and leaving 1 token in each of their regions and scoring 1 coin for each of those regions. On your next turn you will chose a new race and start conquering with those. Yoy will score coins for each region your active race and in decline race controls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ka Mi
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finigan wrote:
Hi everybody,
First time player here had a bad experience with my first game. Was hoping to clear up a rule that we argued about for WAY too long!

According to the how we read the rules in the Ready your troops phase it says you can abandon all your regions, but lose the Victory coins associated with them (how do you associate coins?), why wouldn't a player want to swoop up all his troops every time and then just come in from the corners of the board and reconquer the map crushing everybody? We were playing Smallworld Underground and I had Immortal Wisps, so I could just pick up all my dudes, conquer 10 territories and ruin my friends troops with no real penalty to me.
It feels counter intuitive to conquer territories just to pick everybody up and come in from the corner of the map next turn. There was no point to sitting and defending...
It wasn't fun at all, and didn't feel in the spirit of the game.
Please tell me we were playing wrong!

Quote:
Will-o’-Wisps
You may use the Reinforcement die
before any conquest of a Mystic Crystal
Region or any Region adjacent to a
Mystic Crystal Region your Will-o'-Wisps
occupy. Designate the Region you wish
to conquer before you roll the die.
Regardless of your die roll result, if you have enough Will-o'-
Wisp tokens left to conquer this Region, you must conquer it
once your roll was made.

You role the die with that race only when conquering Mystic Crytsal region or adjacent region if you already occupy Mystic Region. What you probably doing wrong is keeping rolling the die all the time.

Abandon region vs occupy it in next turn. To conq new region you need at least 2 tokens (regular regions not Mystic Crystal) and that will get you 1 coin per region. Keeping region only needs ONE token and that also get's you one coin per region.

remember that immortal only gives you bonus when others do conquer your region, simply you don't lose those tokens. What you probably doin wrong in this case you spred tin, other players do not coq you and you don't go into decline because of immrotal (wrong worng worng) so you just sit there and do nothing with one race.

One more thing. Turns go like this:

first turn:
pick a race, conq regions, count coins, regroup (it means put token in your regions in number of your desire, but not less than 1) next turn

next turn:
2 choices:
- go into decline, score points
or
- take your tokens back in your hand (you can take all of them, but that just not worth it), conq regions, score coins, regroup, next turn.

Tell me what step you don't understand. In regroup phase you can't conq one more time. Immortal can get you tokens in your hand when other beat you, but you must place them in your regions after enemy turn that did attack you (whole turn, not one region conq).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
msg tools
Okay, I think that makes more sense. What we were doing was I would start with ten tokens. I would place them all on one tile, conquering it. Then I would pick up the remaining nine and move them forward, conquering the next tile, leaving one only behind, essentially doing the ol' fashion Risk tile jump maneuver.
What you guys are saying is once you conquer something for the first time, the dudes you used to conquer have to stay there for the turn the territory was conquered, right?
With 10 guys, the MAX I could ever conquer in 1st turn would be 5, assuming all the time I conquered were empty, right?
Then on redeploy I could pick up and move my troops wherever I wanted within my newly conquered lands?
That would make more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Finigan wrote:
Okay, I think that makes more sense. What we were doing was I would start with ten tokens. I would place them all on one tile, conquering it. Then I would pick up the remaining nine and move them forward, conquering the next tile, leaving one only behind, essentially doing the ol' fashion Risk tile jump maneuver.
What you guys are saying is once you conquer something for the first time, the dudes you used to conquer have to stay there for the turn the territory was conquered, right?
With 10 guys, the MAX I could ever conquer in 1st turn would be 5, assuming all the time I conquered were empty, right?
Then on redeploy I could pick up and move my troops wherever I wanted within my newly conquered lands?

Pretty much. Assuming you did NOT have a special ability that assists you in obtaining regions the most regions that 10 units could take and hold is 5. The thing is it almost always costs you more to reconquer a territory than it does to simply hold it, especially if you have a mountain region.

The 2 most common mistakes in conquering in this game are either to use only 1 unit when conquering or to treat conquering like Risk (like you were).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finigan wrote:

Sounds like you got it now. On your next turn, you leave one token in each zone you control and gather up the rest and push onward. So you get to keep your old areas as well as the new ones you conquer for that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.