Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all combat attacks of encounter enemies and units of THE SAME INITIATIVE deemed to be simultaneous?

I don't understand why the units and encounter token of the same initiative value need to be placed alternatively if so.

If not, what order are they rolled in?

If the encounter token rolls last is it eliminated prior to it's attack roll if it takes damage equal to it's threat or is it given the opportunity to roll a resurrect action with the elite die first as a part of it's attack roll?

The manual is very vague in certain areas. It definitely should have included a combat example including this sort of occurrence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, attacks take place according to their placement on the initiative track, see under "initiative in battle" on p13. Encounter tokens are placed before player units if they have the same initiative, meaning they will also get to attack before them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
No, attacks take place according to their placement on the initiative track, see under "initiative in battle" on p13. Encounter tokens are placed before player units if they have the same initiative, meaning they will also get to attack before them.

So, encounter token gets to attack before units of the same initiative?

What about when some tokens are on the basic space and some are on the elite space (different units of course)?

I think the wording (or lack of it) is really unclear.

Also, if encounter token takes damage equal to it's threat prior to attacking, is it removed immediately like a unit token or does it always get its attack roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

Yes

philmcd wrote:

What about when some tokens are on the basic space and some are on the elite space (different units of course)?

They still count as 1 Stack, the presence of at least 1 elite unit just enables the stack to use the elite die. They only use the different spaces to make it clearer to keep track of whether and how many elite units you still have remaining in the stack.

philmcd wrote:

Also, if encounter token takes damage equal to it's threat prior to attacking, is it removed immediately like a unit token or does it always get its attack roll?

Yes, it's dead and doesn't get to attack anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Yes

philmcd wrote:

They still count as 1 Stack, the presence of at least 1 elite unit just enables the stack to use the elite die. They only use the different spaces to make it clearer to keep track of whether and how many elite units you still have remaining in the stack.

philmcd wrote:

Yes, it's dead and doesn't get to attack anymore

No, I meant different unit stacks (different units but with the same initiative) where one stack is basic and the other includes elite units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

No, I meant different unit stacks (different units but with the same initiative) where one stack is basic and the other includes elite units.

Being elite or not doesn't influence placement on the track. If they are both controlled by you, you can choose which one is placed first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Being elite or not doesn't influence placement on the track. If they are both controlled by you, you can choose which one is placed first.

No, I get the intiative placement, does it affect order of attack activation? In other words if you placed one stack before another, does it HAVE to attack before the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

No, I get the intiative placement, does it affect order of attack activation? In other words if you placed one stack before another, does it HAVE to attack before the other?

Yes, but that's why you get to choose which one to place first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Yes, but that's why you get to choose which one to place first

I just wondered if you could change your mind on attack order, I wondered if there might be as yet unknown (to me) skills, scrolls or abilities which might make me want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

I just wondered if you could change your mind on attack order, I wondered if there might be as yet unknown (to me) skills, scrolls or abilities which might make me want to.

I can imagine one scenario where that might be the case: If you have an elite and a non-elite stack you might want the elite stack to attack first when an encounter token is close to dying, as you could still roll the laurel symbol, netting you a free unit or upgrade before it is killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

I can imagine one scenario where that might be the case: If you have an elite and a non-elite stack you might want the elite stack to attack first when an encounter token is close to dying, as you could still roll the laurel symbol, netting you a free unit or upgrade before it is killed.

Actually, I know why I was confused now. In my mind I was placing all counters and stacks on top of each other if they were the same initiative, whereas you place them laterally on the track as if they were different initiative values.

Doh !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.