United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what the (long) title says:

I'm looking for a train game that isn't so much about just pick-up and deliver or route building, but one that focuses on the micro-level control of changing individual signals, switches, etc.

Is there anything like this available as a board game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Think you gonne have more luck finding that in a videogame then on a boardgame.

But try and go tru this list maybe someting is there you like.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1034/trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to dive into my other hobby: model railroading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the very, very small chance that you don't already know, go download OpenTTD. It is exactly the (computer) game you are describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

You pretty much confirmed what I thought. I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find a game like what I described, which I find hard to believe.

Regardless, the reason I asked is because I'm working on a co-op design that is based on this level of micro-level control. Is there any interest in this type of board game, or are your interests in this type of thing addressed by video games and model railroading?

Thanks again (and thanks especially for the OpenTTD suggestion - I'll check it out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Huusko
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
All,

Regardless, the reason I asked is because I'm working on a co-op design that is based on this level of micro-level control. Is there any interest in this type of board game, or are your interests in this type of thing addressed by video games and model railroading?

What is the objective of the game and how do these mechanics tie to it?
I could see something like ricochet robots with this kind of theming (eg. a puzzle game). Or it could be tasks that compete routes to get your goods from a to b in order to get points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edustaja wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
All,

I could see something like ricochet robots with this kind of theming (eg. a puzzle game). Or it could be tasks that compete routes to get your goods from a to b in order to get points.

The objective of the game will be to route trains from their starting location to cities where they pick up freight and then to a port city where they offload the freight. This will be accomplished through management of train movement, signal switching, railway switching, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
edustaja wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
All,

The objective of the game will be to route trains from their starting location to cities where they pick up freight and then to a port city where they offload the freight. This will be accomplished through management of train movement, signal switching, railway switching, etc.

Sounds sort of similar to the popular iOS game Flight Control in which you coordinate planes landing at an airport. I think you have a potentially clever idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Technomagos .
msg tools
Sounds like you would be interested in attending an op session.

(operating a model railroad in a prototypical manner)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I think you have a potentially clever idea.

Thanks, Michael. This will be a very new design concept for me. Hopefully I can pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technomagos wrote:

I have no idea what that is (time to Google!) but it sounds fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of early Avalon Hill games had micro-level train operation:

Dispatcher

C&O/B&O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
A couple of early Avalon Hill games had micro-level train operation:

Dispatcher

C&O/B&O

Thanks, Rich. I'll definitely check those out. Of course, my goal will be to make the micro-level management much more accessible. My target is a cooperative family game (approx. Ages 8+).

By the way, is the term I'm using - "micro-level" management - the proper phrase when describing this sort of operation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
By the way, is the term I'm using - "micro-level" management - the proper phrase when describing this sort of operation?

I could tell what you meant. You could also say that it is about operating trains rather than managing a railroad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tubach
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this game is that closely realted to what you want to create, but reading your question somehow reminded me of Hell Rail.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2339/hellrail-third-perdi...

Unlike most train games that are moving your train along a predetermined track, you are also laying track in this game. It does not have the micro management aspect, but it might be worth looking at as an example of how building track in game affects gameplay if that's something you are thinking about.

Good luck!
Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
Technomagos wrote:

https://www.google.com/#q=waybills+and+car+cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

I'm looking for a train game that isn't so much about just pick-up and deliver or route building, but one that focuses on the micro-level control of changing individual signals, switches, etc.

Thanks!

Some questions:
Are we talking about a fixed scenario where in some way trains move freely (or timed) and players try to route them, some thing like RoboRally
Are we talking about some cooperative family game or competitive.
How do you plan to make the actions, each player as a number of actions, or do they have a number of cards they can play and actions are fairly random.

One of the things that pops my head are a few race games card driven that could be quite look alike the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
All,

You pretty much confirmed what I thought. I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find a game like what I described, which I find hard to believe.

Thanks again (and thanks especially for the OpenTTD suggestion - I'll check it out).

I'd definitely be interested in such a game - I subscribed to this thread in the hopes that someone would post an example of one.

I look forward to seeing the idea developed. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellfish wrote:
I don't think this game is that closely realted to what you want to create, but reading your question somehow reminded me of Hell Rail.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2339/hellrail-third-perdi...

Unlike most train games that are moving your train along a predetermined track, you are also laying track in this game. It does not have the micro management aspect, but it might be worth looking at as an example of how building track in game affects gameplay if that's something you are thinking about.

Good luck!
Pat

I'll check this out. As of right now, the design uses a variable board setup (the initial starting configuration of signals and switches), but the track layout is static.

bltzlfsk wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
Technomagos wrote:

https://www.google.com/#q=waybills+and+car+cards

Must resist...must resist...don't have enough time or money for a new hobby! My dad was really into model railroading when I was young. He didn't keep up with the hobby, though. I really wish he had. Once my kids are older (they are 4, 2, and -2 months) I could see myself really getting into this. In the meantime, do model railroaders typically mind people who don't even have a simple track layout setup joining in for stuff like this?

old_gamer wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
All,

I'd definitely be interested in such a game - I subscribed to this thread in the hopes that someone would post an example of one.

I look forward to seeing the idea developed. Good luck!

I have an initial physical prototype complete, and I'm working on the written rules now. I've conducted quite a few playtests with the initial rules, but haven't turned to the larger gaming community and blind playtesters until today. Hopefully what I have in mind will interest you. I'll have some fairly detailed stuff posted within the next couple days.

baalrukh wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

Thanks!

Some questions:
Are we talking about a fixed scenario where in some way trains move freely (or timed) and players try to route them, some thing like RoboRally
Are we talking about some cooperative family game or competitive.
How do you plan to make the actions, each player as a number of actions, or do they have a number of cards they can play and actions are fairly random.

One of the things that pops my head are a few race games card driven that could be quite look alike the topic.

And here comes my best BGG friend! I wondered how long it would take you to show up!

I've never played RoboRally, but I think there will be some shared characteristics. Certainly the most important aspect of the game is setting trains on the optimal path to take them to the loading and unloading cities, while avoiding trouble with other trains.

This is definitely going to fall into the family cooperative camp. My only concern right now is that there is no mechanic that dissuades the Alpha Player problem that plagues most co-ops.

Here's the general flow of the game:

At the beginning of a round, new train(s) are placed at cities on the periphery of the board. As the game progresses, more trains are placed each round (up to a maximum of 3), which increase the difficulty of dealing with the trains.

Then a player's turn begins.

As it stands now, each player draws up to their hand of seven cards. Each card has an action (load, unload, move train, change signal, switch track). Each card can be spent to take the corresponding action, or two of the same cards can be used to take any action.

However, there is an efficiency issue with regard to using the cards. If the decks is exhausted, the players lose. So contrary to most games, players actually don't want to use the cards and take actions unless they have to.

After a player completes their actions, every train on the board moves. Movement is random, but with a mitigation mechanic to limit randomness. As the game progresses, the average movement shifts upward. In other words, players spend their turns trying to optimize routes with as few actions as possible so that on this train movement phase of the round, the trains head where the players want them to go.

That's pretty much it. The end result is a game that starts off deceptively easy and then suddenly gets very difficult as tracks become blocked with trains.

I'll post the full playtest rules soon, and I'll start a new thread in the design forums for those of you who are interested in the game. In the meantime, here are a couple pics.

The game board (numbered cities are starting locations for trains, yellow cities are where trains are loaded, the blue port city is where the trains unload):

Here is what the board looks like (in a digital format) when I'm working with my main online playtest group using virtual tabletop software. Note the rail intersections have been blocked off, effectively forming switches, and each city has a signal that is used to allow for entry. Yellow trains are unloaded, red are loaded.

And here are some pics I took yesterday when I tested the game out with my local playtest group for the first time. I'm using Pandemic blocks to show blocked switches (black blocks) and open signals (blue blocks) and TtR trains to show uloaded (yellow) and loaded (red) trains. The board is scaled down about 20% in order to print it off on just four sheets of paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my attention
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Looks really cool. Does it solo well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholle wrote:
Looks really cool. Does it solo well?

From my experience it works well as a solo game. I've played it about 20 times over the last week by myself, and the only real difference in the game is the lack of the social experience. I'm toying around with the idea of Role cards (ala Pandemic, etc, etc), but I haven't included them yet, and I likely won't until I finalize the core mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

< snip, to get to just this question >

In the meantime, do model railroaders typically mind people who don't even have a simple track layout setup joining in for stuff like this?

< snip, no need to repeat the interesting images >

Not many! Whenever you are ready you can find your local club and enthusiasts with layouts in the same way you use the internet to find other gamers. Operating sessions always need plenty of warm bodies. And you can get your feet wet with building a model or two to run on their trackage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks and sounds like something I might enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.