Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping most players that see this are familiar with Dominion. I read in Ambassadors that you are to pick 15 Basic Locations (pg 4) to make the deck with. I take this to mean that you're using 3/4 copies of 15 cards. I compare this to you choosing 10 Kingdoms to use in your Dominion games. We played our first games last Wednesday after my Kickstarter stuff finally showed up by shuffling ALL the Basic cards together and the associated Specials as well.
I don't think I care for this new rule. After every game you'll have to sort out the Locations back into their respective piles then pick a new set and create a new deck. I imagine you would use the single copy '4' cards as Randomizers. Requires a lot of shuffling for each game which are quite short compared to many I thought.
Perhaps I'm lazy but I'm just going to continue with a big Basic deck so I don't have to go through all of that sorting between games.
Besides, I like building Fast Food Drive-Ins next to my Minefields!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea I'm considering is that, since there are 30ish basic locations, I would keep half in one deck and half in another (with even distributions of colors of course). So, it won't make the game random and unplannable like an all-in set. Plus, I Would only have to add and remove special locations and can one set or the other just to vary up the basic location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are definitely promoting the possibility of different "kingdoms". They also mention you can use the original set or new set of 15 locations, if you don't want to change things up.

I'd simply recommend picking one of the recommended sets of 15, play with it for a while, then switch to another when you want something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the validity of at least having a more even distribution of colors. So 15 Basic Locations would be three "sets" of four cards (for a 2/4 player game) per color. With 12 cards total per color I will take my shuffled together piles of Locations and deal off the top until I get 12 of each. After that, mix in the still all random Specials and go from there.
While there will now be cards in differing multiples, maybe even 0, I think this is will be better than entirely "All-In".
We'll find out next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
I think they are definitely promoting the possibility of different "kingdoms". They also mention you can use the original set or new set of 15 locations, if you don't want to change things up.

I'd simply recommend picking one of the recommended sets of 15, play with it for a while, then switch to another when you want something different.

I cannot agree more with Contiguity. We designed the new basic cards, keeping in mind that more than two copies will be present. The same goes to the basic set also. Turret, Transportation Platform, Factory, Hydroponics, Minefield work better in multiples to name a few. If you know that there are 4 Experimental Weapons in the mix, you are going to built at least 2 power reactors.

Of course, you can do as you like. The "All in" variant is better suited for more tactical players, players that can take quick decisions and change their plan successfully on the spot.

Enjoy the game!

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.