20 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Travel Tickets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played the game yet (planning on playing tomorrow). I am a little confused by the travel tickets. Why would you use an action to buy a ticket when you can just use your action to travel instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kean Pedersen
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sometimes you might want to stay in a city because you would like to have another encounter there. Then you are faced with having to spend two actionswithout moving. One action goes towards obtaining more assets, and then you can spend the other to take a ticket. You can now travel further ina later round. Basically you save move actions in tickets to spend later. I like to have a least one ticket in order to more quickly react to rumours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Nowak
msg tools
Zeromage wrote:
I haven't played the game yet (planning on playing tomorrow). I am a little confused by the travel tickets. Why would you use an action to buy a ticket when you can just use your action to travel instead?

Judging by your wording, it sounds like you might be misinformed about part of the rules. You can only do any type of action once in your turn, so if you move without tickets, you can only move one space per turn. With tickets, you move much faster, potentially up to 3 spaces if you have the right combination of tickets to get to where you need to go.

It's wise to spend an action or two early on to save up tickets, especially if you're in a city that you're not intending on moving out of. This will make later movement much easier, letting you get to a specific spot at a critical moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raejin99 wrote:
Zeromage wrote:

Judging by your wording, it sounds like you might be misinformed about part of the rules. You can only do any type of action once in your turn, so if you move without tickets, you can only move one space per turn. With tickets, you move much faster, potentially up to 3 spaces if you have the right combination of tickets to get to where you need to go.

It's wise to spend an action or two early on to save up tickets, especially if you're in a city that you're not intending on moving out of. This will make later movement much easier, letting you get to a specific spot at a critical moment.

Am i missing something?!?

I thought that a character gets 1 free move to a destination via ANY path, and then an additional movement through the use of a travel ticket. But your statement is talking about up to 3 movement? by using the free move and 2 travel tickets… i don't want to be presumptuous but i think your incorrect.

The only way that i know of to get three moves in a turn is through the use of the character Silas Marsh who can move an additional space along a sea path if a sea path has already been taken...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raejin99 wrote:
Zeromage wrote:

This is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silas could feasibly move four times in his turn.

He would move once using his special action, then he could use the travel action and use two tickets to move another three times.

Not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Nowak
msg tools
Orange_Chef wrote:
Raejin99 wrote:
Zeromage wrote:

I thought that a character gets 1 free move to a destination via ANY path, and then an additional movement through the use of a travel ticket. But your statement is talking about up to 3 movement? by using the free move and 2 travel tickets… i don't want to be presumptuous but i think your incorrect.

The only way that i know of to get three moves in a turn is through the use of the character Silas Marsh who can move an additional space along a sea path if a sea path has already been taken...

You can use any number of tickets in a move action. If you have two tickets, for example, you could move one space along any path, spend one ticket to move along a path of the appropriate type, and then spend the second ticket to move across a path of the appropriate type.

To quote the reference guide:

Reference guide p. 12 wrote:
As an action, an investigator moves to any space adjacent to his current
space. Then he may spend any number of travel tickets, moving one
additional space along a Train path or Ship path for each Train Ticket
token or Ship Ticket token spent, respectively.

Tickets are a little more versatile than they appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and also, remember that you are limited to carrying only two tickets of any type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange_Chef wrote:

You can spent any number of tickets on a turn to get an additional movement added to your action move. Since two tickets is your max, you can potentially move three spaces in a single turn by burning both.

Edit: Beaten terribly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
Orange_Chef wrote:

You can spent any number of tickets on a turn to get an additional movement added to your action move. Since two tickets is your max, you can potentially move three spaces in a single turn by burning both.

If the rules say you can have up to two tickets of EACH type then that's two train tickets AND two ship tickets for a maximum movement of 5 spaces where the map and your goals allow it (6 if you are Silas)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the max is two tickets total, not of each type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:

Yup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Nowak
msg tools
RHPDaddy wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
Orange_Chef wrote:

If the rules say you can have up to two tickets of EACH type then that's two train tickets AND two ship tickets for a maximum movement of 5 spaces where the map and your goals allow it (6 if you are Silas)

Nope. Reference guide again:

Reference guide p. 9 wrote:
An investigator cannot have more than two travel tickets. If he already has two travel tickets when he performs this action, he may discard one travel ticket before gaining a new travel ticket.

Occam's Razor: The rule only says two tickets, not two tickets each, so simplest interpretation is two tickets total. Besides, if each type had its own separate maximum, they wouldn't have needed the bit about discarding when you're already at two tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
Beloch wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

Yup

More specifically, I believe the rule is that you may only have one of either type of ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tangmcgame wrote:
Beloch wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

Yup

More specifically, I believe the rule is that you may only have one of either type of ticket.

I believe this is not correct. We have Rulebook Page 7...

Quote:
If a player ever has more than two travel tickets, he must choose
two to keep and discard the rest.

And Page 9 of the Reference Guide...

Quote:
An investigator cannot have more than two travel tickets.

There is nothing restricting the two tickets an investigator may have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, there's no restriction on the Tickets you can hold other than their quantity (2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
Interesting. I wonder where I got it in my head that it was one of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's the simple situation that wasn't mentioned so far -

Buy a ticket as your 1st action and then use it to move two spaces as your second action.

I'm always finding myself wanting to move two spaces but since you can only do a normal move once on your turn, this works out great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
DougA wrote:
Here's the simple situation that wasn't mentioned so far -

Buy a ticket as your 1st action and then use it to move two spaces as your second action.

I'm always finding myself wanting to move two spaces but since you can only do a normal move once on your turn, this works out great.

This is what we have been doing. Or grabbing tickets with the intent of moving far on the next turn.

(currently we are 3/4 - a 4 player game, and a three 2 player games. The game we lost, the other player didn't read his card and wasn't using his ability (add 1 die to any skill check once per turn). That combined with horrible dice luck resulted in bad results. Only 1 of the victories was a nail biter, the others were pretty thorough beatings of the ancient wrongs. I'm missing why the win rates posted are so low.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Katuska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slight tangent, but my group got this wrong the first few times we played, so it bears mentioning:

You may only acquire a ticket that corresponds to a path leading out of the city you're in. Surrounded by nothing but rail paths? No boat ticket for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.