BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: question to counter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems that "counter" is somewhat different to other C&C games. As far as I understand if an attacking unit, which got one flag and forced the defender to retreat 1 hex, advances after combat into the adjacent hex of the retreating defender and so becomes adjacent to it again, it can be counterattacked (countered) by the defender. If the attacker does not advance into the hex, it is not adjacent and so becomes not prone to a counter by the defender. Is this correct? Thanks for explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incorrect. Check the reference book for combat order. First a unit retreats then they can counter Nd, after counter, a unit can advance. Since the unit isn't adjacent during the counter step it cannot counter them the attacking unit may advance (or pursue).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion of how it works is that the opportunity to counter comes before the opportunity to advance. So, you can counter if you didn't retreat, but once you retreat and the enemy advances, the time for a counter has passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maad McCarthy
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the reference book on page 2 under COMBAT here is the combat order specific to your question:

Quote:
8. Resolve Retreats: The target unit must resolve retreat effects,
which includes suffering damage for each retreat effect it
cannot resolve.
9. Gain Lore: The player gains one lore token for each ¤ result
he did not commit in step 4.
10. Counter: If the target unit is adjacent to the attacking unit and
was not eliminated, the opponent may choose to counter by
resolving steps 2–9, targeting the attacking unit.
11. Advance: If the target unit was eliminated or forced to retreat,
the player may move the attacking unit into the hex that the
target unit originally occupied.

Counter occurs after resolving retreats and before advance. So in your example the defender would not be able to counter as they would not be adjacent during the counter phase of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
many thanks. now its clear. counter is before advance, so my assumption was incorrect and its the same like in other C&C games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that, but counter states that the defender must be in its original hex in order to counter. So even if counter came at the very end of the combat, you couldn't counter after a retreat and advance even though you'd be adjacent because the defender is no longer in the hex it started in. See the second bullet under "Counters" in the reference book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A rather obvious question, but we wanted clarification.

If two units are adjacent to each other, and the attacker totally whiffs on their attack, the defender still gets an opportunity to counter, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brendanb wrote:
A rather obvious question, but we wanted clarification.

If two units are adjacent to each other, and the attacker totally whiffs on their attack, the defender still gets an opportunity to counter, right?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Another rather obvious one: Counter still happens if a retreat was rolled, but ignored...right?

I had an epic turn with my Chaos Lord taking out three units that took a swing at him. All three rolled one or less retreats, so I was able to counter three times, killing all three units.

Just want to make sure I didn't play that wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long you are not vacating your original hex (and no special rules stopping you), you can counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.