Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am probably in the minority here but I really do love the plastic coins.

Poll
What do you think of the plastic coins?
I really love them.
I really hate them.
      106 answers
Poll created by diceman56
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Yes, we are a minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
#WYGAME
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Love them !
Use the coins in all my prototypes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentieiro wrote:
Love them !
Use the coins in all my prototypes...

That makes perfect sense... they do look exactly like prototype coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I love them. If I had enough of them, I'd sub them for the money in every game I owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are nuts. They're plain, ugly, misshapen, and you can't even stack them because they slip and slide everywhere.

Other than "they remind me that I bought a great Wallace game", what possible reason can you have for liking them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Other than "they remind me that I bought a great Wallace game", what possible reason can you have for liking them?

You named the primary one: They're plain. They don't get in the way of anything, and are easier to count up than often poorly differentiated / overly illustrated cardboard coins. By the same token, they're also flexible in that you can assign any convenient denominations you like to them, if the publisher happened to choose an awkward distribution for the game.

I also happen to like the feel / sound of the chips, certainly more than cardboard. I've never had any misshapen ones either. Also, they will never show wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find them difficult to pick up. Just too thin.

Nate do you ever use poker chips. All the benefits with the only possible detractor being they are larger. Which I personally prefer anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have short nails and can pick them up easily, just add slight pressure to the edge and they lift up slightly enough to hold them. I love them for the sound, the aesthetics and theme of old coinage. Poker chips, though brilliant as they are, just don't fit well with me for an industrial themed game like this.
None of mine are mis shapen, perhaps you had a faulty batch.
I cannot understand anyone preffering cardboard over these...........Poker chips I do understand, again for the solidity and aesthetics, but pennies fit well with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the ones in Brass are bigger than the ones in London! The silver ones in London are too small.
I generally cardboard coins printed with values and with different sizes for different values.

Most annoying is odd denominations like in The Scepter of Zavandor where there is no 1, just 2, 5, and 10, so you waste a lot of time doing the maths to avoid wasting the odd 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate them... Go Poker chips!!!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poker chips or metal coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've grown fond of them.

They are easy to handle and stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhere in between, but voted "love them", because I kind of like them. But I don't really mind using whatever money comes with whatever game - even paper money if it's thick enough and doesn't stick together. But I like the Wallace Coins better than most. It does tend to be an issue explaining that the "gold" isn't gold and is worth less than the silver, every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, It is easy for me being in the U.K. as the coins are similar in that we have a silver 5 new pence and the brown being 1 new pence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play too many fantasy silver-and-gold games - perhaps if the gold discs were copper or other color and physically smaller then my brain would wrap around the concept better, or perhaps if they came numbered or were molded coins.

However, I have enough games that I just substitute other money. With Brass, I like to use the money tokens from Arkham Horror (1s, 5s, and 10s with clear numbers on them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
I play too many fantasy silver-and-gold games - perhaps if the gold discs were copper or other color and physically smaller then my brain would wrap around the concept better, or perhaps if they came numbered or were molded coins.

I think you will find that they are brass!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.