Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the title of this post doesn't translate across the pond. The Lord Mayor's show in London is an annual spectacular. The streets are filled with floats, bands, military parades and a great many horses. Consequently, after the show, there is only one thing that the streets are filled with.

Scenarios A to C were my 'show'. The failure of scenario D to inspire was however my own fault. First things first- the allies finally managed a win, holding 17VP at sudden death on turn 12. And it was pretty easy, hence my chagrin.

The US landed on the left hand side of the beach. The first Japanese fire order broke the battalion gun via an event and the Allies followed up next turn with an Asset Denied. This start rather typified the day. The first wave of marines took casualties on the right flank from a Japanese MG in the centre of the beach, commanded by the lieutenant. This was the main success of the day for the defenders. The US moved up the beach, laying smoke to cover their right, and wiped out a Japanese strongpoint. It was a long first session, but the second wave eventually arrived behind the first. They benefited from some residual smoke and moved up to join their colleagues.

The US force was now about 6 hexes up on the left, sitting in a patch of long grass and bush. With 2 HMGs, a few leaders and seemingly limitless squads. They did alot of shooting over the next 6 sessions, but not much else. Every so often a unit would rush off to a now empty bunker and blow it up. It was pretty dull, if you can use such a term for a simulation of death and mayhem. As I said at the top, it was dull because I cocked it up.

The Japanese were all over the board in penny packets. They couldn't compete in ranged combat, and they were too fractured to melee. Why? The scenario gave me a set number of bunkers and I just spread them about. It only occured to me afterwards that I could have built one or two uber-strongpoints and concentrated their force.

I have realised that there are three holdovers from other games which are affecting my play. I can't say which other games, there have been too many, but there are ideas lurking in my hindbrain which I've only just spotted consciously.

1) I expect fortifications to block LOS, which is why I havent built big ones.

2) I expect friendly units to block LOS, which explains why I did't respond adequately to a huge mob of marines milling about on the beach. What harm would the ones at the back be? Oh yes, they would be a massive fire group.

3) I expect stacking limits to be stacking limits. Limit 7, Japanese squads of 4. Thats one squad per hex. Clearly in cover they could take the risk of a bit of overstacking, but some alarm in my head kept going off. This would have made melee more of an option too.

So I think that would go some way to explaining the walkover which ensued. However I would welcome advice on Japenese tactics here. The marines just settled down with their enfilade cards and racked up FPs in the 30s. They never went nearer than 2 hexes from a Japanese unit and just kept firing. And all other points aside a hand size of 7 is a huge adwantage. So how are you supposed to beat them?

Not sure if Scenario E is next, or a blast of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game for a couple of weeks. A change is as good as a rest as they say.

Thanks for reading

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian,

Did you remember the SSR's, specifically #5 Tunnels, which allows a Japanese unit in a hex containing a bunker or pillbox to Advance (with an Advance Order) directly to any other hex containing a bunker/pillbox (not just an adjacent one.) and SSR #7 Heavy Winds, where all smoke markers are removed at the end of EACH players turn.

As for overstacking, it is fairly safe for the Japanese if they are in a bunker or pillbox, if they do not overstack to excess.

As far as Tactics for Japanese. I would set up Japanese kill stacks as close as the beach as possible in bunkers/pillboxes and focus on taking out Marine leaders and weapons while they are still in the water with -2 cover, remember the Scenario allows the Japanese to choose their first 4 starting cards. Japanese take first turn, so Fire away. Marines can use smoke if they have it but it goes away as soon as their turn ends.

Thanks for your Session Reports, I enjoy reading them, hope that you keep them coming.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian wrote " - - - I could have built one or two uber-strongpoints and concentrated their force. "

The above works much too well. The optimum setup, which somehow must never have been tried in playtesting, is EVERYTHING in adjacent bunkers and fortifications in the middle of the zone behind the sand, water side of any hindrances.

This setup gives, iirc, three or four 10FP attacks, plus the ordnance shots, for each Japanese fire order.

US leaders just do not survive this fire. Very difficult to win as the US player if the Japanese player has a functioning tactical sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

What did your opponent say about it? We usually have a chin wag after the game about what went well, what didn't go so well. If he has more experience than you with the game I think its fair that he could offer some tips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting back. To answer your points

1) I remembered and used the tunnels
2) I forgot the strong winds, so that would have balanced things a bit.
3) Uber-bunkers, as you say, sounds almost as broken the other way.
4) Forward defence, yes I used that in scenario A. Should have here. Comments about my power of memory can be found in earlier AARs.
5) As for a post match discussion with my opponent, he's just as clueless as me. And I try not to talk to myself out loud when the family are about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobble Hat wrote:
Thanks for getting back. To answer your points

1) I remembered and used the tunnels
2) I forgot the strong winds, so that would have balanced things a bit.
3) Uber-bunkers, as you say, sounds almost as broken the other way.
4) Forward defence, yes I used that in scenario A. Should have here. Comments about my power of memory can be found in earlier AARs.
5) As for a post match discussion with my opponent, he's just as clueless as me. And I try not to talk to myself out loud when the family are about.

I did wonder if you were playing solo I haven't played CC Pacific for a while but do play quite a lot of CC. If you find yourself in Brum and at a loose end drop us a line if you would like a ftf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.