Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Fresco» Forums » General

Subject: Am I wrong in thinking the base game with modules 1,2, and 3 is good enough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco seems to me to be one of those games where the additional expansions (beyond modules 1,2, and 3) seem to turn what is a fine game into a convoluted mess. I have not played with any of the modules beyond those included in the base game but I have watched videos and walk-throughs of them. All of them seem to add complexity for the sake of complexity. To me, Fresco seems to be a perfect representative of the light/medium euro. It is not Caylus and the game appears to suffer when it tries to be something it is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have read here, the only really worthwhile addition is the glaziers mod 6, if you really love the theme but want more brainburn.

But I was coming to the same conclusion as you, so decided to go for the base set rather than the big box. Then I saw it on sale on amazon.de, and I didn't think twice.

It's exactly the family euro I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both of you. Glazers is fine. The rest either make the game too convoluted or water down the point mechanic to where the theme dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add another +1 to this. I think the base game (even without the first 3 expansions) are a great light to medium weight Euro. I'm not even interested in the other modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of with Mike on this one too. We like the base game as it is and have not even played the expansions yet. It seems to work just fine. This and Lancaster seem to fall into that category of games that are not Alhambra that Queen is trying to create extra modules for at a cost that is a bit too steep for what they offer. I find the ones for these newer game to be overpriced for what they offer, but have certainly stood in my FLGS many times holding them and just wondering...

For now, I can't imagine picking the expansions up for this myself...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Fresco seems to me to be one of those games where the additional expansions (beyond modules 1,2, and 3) seem to turn what is a fine game into a convoluted mess.

Can't disagree. I haven't felt any need for the expansions.

Well, I do use the Bishop's Favours promo, but that's just a random freebie that doesn't change complexity at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaziers are very clever and were obviously thought of when doing base game since the spaces for the windows are already printed on board.

The others are kind of superfluous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I've read, people seem to be recommending only adding 1 or 2 of the later modules per game depending on your needs. Playing them all together does sound terribly convoluted and messy. But reading about some of the extra modules, they do sound interesting and having the freedom to pick and choose between several very different modules is quite attractive to me, even if I'm only using one at a time. Just my 0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baker
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
Spaceball One... they've gone to PLAID!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
having the freedom to pick and choose between several very different modules is quite attractive to me, even if I'm only using one at a time.

Yes, and i think Big Box Fresco is similar to the plethora of expansions for Carcassonne. I wouldn't play all the expansions together, but it's nice to have a variety to choose from - especially after playing the game for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
From what I have read here, the only really worthwhile addition is the glaziers mod 6, if you really love the theme but want more brainburn.

But I was coming to the same conclusion as you, so decided to go for the base set rather than the big box. Then I saw it on sale on amazon.de, and I didn't think twice.

It's exactly the family euro I was looking for.

I agree with everyone else, I really enjoy the base game with my family.
If I added all/some of the new, seemingly more complex modules, my wife would hate it and my daughter (8) would probably be overwhelmed.

The longer I'm in this hobby the more selective I have become when adding expansions to games that we play.
I will say that I am interested to see what the new board looks like.

Cheers,
Will

PS - Mark, I love the Patapon avatar, brought back memories of obsessively playing that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1, IMHO (two plays only), game shines with just expansions 1 and 2. Yes, I've avoided the brown and pink at the moment. I suppose w/ a fixed game group and after a bunch of plays, I imagine we'll add it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think it is good enough. I haven't seen the need to get any expansion yet, since my copy of the base game has not been "played out" yet with just 3 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.