Subject: Takenoko - great gateway game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Murdoch
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had mentioned to my friend that I had recently gotten into a new hobby (playing board games) and she seemed keen, so I invited her over for a night of introductory gaming.

First on the table was Takenoko. After briefly explaining the rules to both my friend (Jemma) and my fiance, Chris, (both their first time playing) we were ready to start. Normally I hate teaching people games but Takenoko is so simple and straightforward that it was a breeze to explain.

We got off to a flying start with only the occasional question about gameplay and Jemma very quickly had completed her first two goal cards. Myself and Chris soon caught up and had tied the score board with two completed goals each.

Jemma was undeterred and stormed off into the lead again, playing her eighth goal card and signalling the end of the round. I was not too far behind with seven completed goals, picking up a new goal card on my last turn which happened to be all completed - I was in luck but still felt like Jemma had clinched the game.

After an initial count of the scores it seemed like I was in the lead, however a missed completed goal in Jemma's hand pushing it to a tie break. A quick count of the completed panda objectives and I was beaten. Chalk one win up for Jemma the newcomer.

All in all Takenoko was a great gateway game and Jemma seemed hooked and eager to play more. Chris loved it too but had to retire to bed due to work commitments in the morning. It's easy to explain and easy for everyone to pick up on strategy.

The night of gaming was to continue with a game of Ticket to Ride: Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.