Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Need Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike houghton
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Tomorrow is the first event where I actually want to try.
The event is 80 pts faction pure 2 Ship max build. Resources are allowed butno admiral orders. I have Fed, everything but defiant, Klingon, everything but Brel, and 1 of everything for Romulan.

Any Ideas would be great. I am thinking anything with the Sutherland or Neghvar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this?

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Total (37)

Negh'var Class (28)
Martok 8 (5)
Advanced Weapon System (5)
Total (38)

Command Tokens (5)

Fleet total: 80

Both cloak so you can avoid the Fed torpedo onslaught for a bit. They will each throw a decent amount of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all should depend on what you like to play (faction, character, etc). Even with a "God" build, you will still be subject to lucky rolls and wins/losses based on that. Almost anything can be competitive if you build and play it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is it pure faction with both ships, or can you have two "faction pure" ships of different factions? Regardless it seems both United Force and Strike Force are required for you since every fleet will automatically qualify for it. Can you use Independents? Do you have Flagships available to you?

Also, you really should pick up a Defiant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike houghton
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Im ordering a Defiant this week. The entire force must be faction pure. I dont think independent pieces/cards are allowed. I do have access to the allresources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can't use Admiral's Orders and you seem to want to use the Sutherland how about this Faction Pure fleet.

I've included ideas on how I would try to use it for the first few turns to try plan the first engagements. After that I'd just be winging it.

USS Sutherland (26)
Picard (6)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Secondary Torpedo Launcher (4)
Sulu (3)

Ship Total 42

Generic Miranda (18)
Data (2)
Corbomite Maneuver (5)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Janice Rand (2)
O'Brien (2)

Ship Total 32

Command Tokens (5)
-Lock On and any other 4 you prefer.

Total Build 79

If you want to risk a lower defence on the Sutherland you could drop Sulu and upgrade the Photon Torpedos on the Sutherland to the 5 point version.

This would also allow you to do the same on the Miranda or alternatively switch the Miranda for the Reliant.

If you make these changes the build is 80 points exactly.

You want to fly with the Reliant in a first wave and the Sutherland following behind in a second wave.

Maneuver so that the Miranda is inside Range 3 on one turn (call this Turn A) and the Sutherland is in range 2 or 3 the next turn (call this turn B). If possible try for range 3 so you can benefit from the Sutherland's re-roll.

Option 1 - Facing a cloaked fleet

Turn A:

Miranda Actions

After moving discard Janice Rand to allow Corbomite Maneuver as a Free Action. This will protect the Miranda from being attacked by both enemies this turn.

Disable the Anti-Matter Mines and O'Brien to use Data's action to force opponent's to de-cloak at end of turn.

Sutherland Actions - Choose best 2 options as needed.

Turn B

Miranda should try Maneuver so they fly through the opponents formation leaving them in the rear arc.

Miranda Actions

Use the Lock On Command Token free Action
Use normal action to re-enable photon Torpedos

Miranda makes a Four Dice Torpedo Attack that can convert 1 Battlestation result to a critical.

Sutherland Actions

Use the Ship Action and Picards Action to Lock On and get a Battle Stations

Sutherland makes 2 Attacks the first with 4 dice and the second with 3.

Hopefully you are at range 3 in which case you can re-roll the dice for both attacks

Each attack can convert 1 Battlestation to a Critical and if either the first or second attack (after the re-roll) ends up with more than 1 Battlestation you can spend the token to convert them all.

If you don't use the token it's still there for any defence.

Option 2 - Facing a non-Cloaked fleet

Turn A

Miranda Actions

After moving discard Janice Rand to allow Corbomite Maneuver as a Free Action. This will protect the Miranda from being attacked by both enemies this turn.

Discard O'Brien to disable your enemies most important upgrade. This will force them to waste an action next turn if they want to use it (this will probably make any attack less effective).

Sutherland Actions - Choose best 2 options as needed.

Turn B:

Miranda should try Maneuver so they fly through the opponents formation leaving them in the rear arc.

Miranda Actions

Either

Use the Normal action to Lock-On
Use a Free Command Token Action to Enhance Attack.

Or

Use the Lock On Command Token free Action
Use the normal Battlestations action

Miranda makes a Four Dice Torpedo Attack that can convert 1 Battlestation result to a critical and is enhanced either with Battlestations or one of the Attack Command Tokens.

Sutherland Actions

Same as against Cloaked Fleet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike houghton
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Wow. I genuinely appreciate that. I have been stuck judging for the last formonths and have had very little actual hands on attempts and learning thenuances. Your indepth dedescription was fantastic. Thank you. Im currently going over and over and over my cards checking out my options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
STOP PRESS:

I just realised the build has too many crew on the Miranda. I forgot to take one off when I downgraded the points.

You'd have to drop Sulu and change the Miranda to the USS Reliant.

This leaves you at 78 points so I'd add Lojur to the Sutherland.

He would then allow you to fire one set of Torpedos without Disabling the weapon by Disabling him instead.

ALSO

If this is OP5 and the OWP's are going to be firing at you I'd add some Defensive Command Tokens to the required Lock On as this is an aggressive build which is light on defence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike houghton
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Its not an OP. It is an event I came up with for my venue called Wings Sunday. X Wing tournament with attack wing events on the side, followed by attack wing tournament with x wing scenarios while it its going on. Free Wings (including pb and j wings), free tickets to see Shatner next week, and wind beneath my wings playing all day long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited my previous entry after spotting an error. You need to read it as the build was slightly wrong (read illegal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike houghton
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
So when using secondary torpedoes as the second action, do I still have to discard them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes, Unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say with the unique limiting of everyone to two ship builds, you have an exceptional opportunity to try out the one-ship build (which I would almost never recommend anywhere else ever).

26 U.S.S. Excelsior
10 Independent Flagship (Target Lock)
6 Jean-Luc Picard
3 Engage
5 Cheat Death
9 Cloaking Device
6 Quantum Torpedoes
5 Antimatter Mines
2 Lojur
3 Dmitri Valtane
3 Hikaru Sulu

It only comes out to 78 Points but you are practically invincible with 8 defense dice and battlestations if you're in firing arc, assuming you're in firing arc at all after Engage or Sensor Echo. You have plenty of extra points for Cloaking device, and the ability to sensor echo helps to make up for some of the Excelsior's terrible turn radius. Engage is there for tight turns because you can get Flagship's Free Target Lock, Excelsior's Free Scan, and Picard's Free Action (usually battlestations) before taking your Engage action, allowing you to hard turn and still keep your actions for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Enterprise-D and Excelsior is probably the strongest faction-pure 2-ship combo in the game. Expect a lot of people to be running that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khazarha
Toreth
Plasma torpedos
polarized hull

Valdore
donatra
plasma torpedoes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
mike_houghton98 wrote:
Tomorrow is the first event where I actually want to try.
The event is 80 pts faction pure 2 Ship max build. Resources are allowed butno admiral orders. I have Fed, everything but defiant, Klingon, everything but Brel, and 1 of everything for Romulan.

Any Ideas would be great. I am thinking anything with the Sutherland or Neghvar

I personally love having 80 point fleets. It makes players have harder choices on what to take. 2 Beefy or 3 totally stripped down ships.

A trick is to go through and try building 40 point ships. Another trick is to nail down cards that seem to excel together. Aj'rmr/Polarized Hull Plating, Toreth/Massacre, Dukat/Boheeka.

ROMULAN
30 Khazara
4 Toreth
3 Massacre
37 points

30 Valdore
4 Donatra
4 Counter Attack
38 points

5 Command Tokens

KLINGON:
28 Negh'var
5 Martok
5 AWS
38 points

26 Vor'cha
4 Koloth
5 AWS
37 Points

5 Command Tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike houghton
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Hi Guys! I went with the one shop excelsior build. I finished two and 1, almost 2-0-1. But due to my inability to remember everything accurately I lost my middle game. I kept disabling Sulu for one. Dumb. I also didnt realize if your ship crosses the mine field, but not the flight path, that I
Still took the attack.That knocked my shields down to far and I was slim pickings. Lol i had two people quickly point that out.

I did the Koybashu Scenario there as well. Where everyone else failed.. I failed the best...not with destruction, but with literally touching my tableedge, but not crossing it. So close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.