Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want players to know what to expect in this game. You will have squadron rosters to track pilot and crew as well as maintenance logs for your assigned aircraft. On the enemy side, once a raid or enemy formation has been determined you will have tracking sheets for their damage and losses but those are not tracked beyond VPs scored for that current day (Japanese reinforcements and replacements are handled by the game system).

I want people to know this so they can make an informed decision if this game will be ok for them. You will feel like you are managing real squadrons and pilots in this game so it should matter if they are killed/wounded/sick etc.

This (bookkeeping) is fundamental to the game - I don't feel it adds heavily to the complexity as the game itself is area movement and your decisions while sometimes dropping down to a tactical level are not down to the level of where you are flying each plane in detail but in a clash of formations and positioning of assets in search/strike/air combat roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for being so upfront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds just great to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really useful information. Thanks Terry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems exactly what I'm looking for.
Can't wait for the game to go to the printers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any chance you could post an example of what the logs look like, and what one needs to notate? Maybe for Grogs this is normal run of the mill stuff, but for newbies it might be much more informative.

thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGRAYDAY wrote:
any chance you could post an example of what the logs look like, and what one needs to notate? Maybe for Grogs this is normal run of the mill stuff, but for newbies it might be much more informative.

thank you!

1st squadron log is where you will track your pilots and crew status. # of sorties flown, kills and pilotage/ gunnery skill level.

2nd log is your plane log. Tracks sorties flown and damage/status of plane.

Those are your main logs for tracking status day to day and carryover to next day.

3rd log is daily flying log which tracks assignments for the day. These are temporary one game day usage.

4th log is tracking enemy flight status. # of aircraft and damage. Ship logs follow this format as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Oddo
United States
New Windsor
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor not an Accountant!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bosk wrote:
Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor not an Accountant!!!

Good then you can help the pilots with malaria and dysentery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will real life names be featured on the rosters and logs?

I expect the well knowns like Foss and Smith will be there, but how about lessor known ones like Harold Buell (of VS-5)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeZerp wrote:
Will real life names be featured on the rosters and logs?

I expect the well knowns like Foss and Smith will be there, but how about lessor known ones like Harold Buell (of VS-5)?

Yes as many real names as I am able to find. Think I have about 80% of full rosters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the current ETA for this game? Sorry for ninja the thread. I just discovered this and it seems awesome. Sort of air leader series done on a real map (and ww2)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late this year or early next year. My day job has been piling more work on me that keeps from hobby work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
AGRAYDAY wrote:

thank you!

1st squadron log is where you will track your pilots and crew status. # of sorties flown, kills and pilotage/ gunnery skill level.

2nd log is your plane log. Tracks sorties flown and damage/status of plane.

Those are your main logs for tracking status day to day and carryover to next day.

3rd log is daily flying log which tracks assignments for the day. These are temporary one game day usage.

4th log is tracking enemy flight status. # of aircraft and damage. Ship logs follow this format as well.

I hadn't thought of this question until now. Are these paper and pencil logs, or are they tracked with markers on the map/or a separate display?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper and pencil logs. There is a playaid for dispersal of fuel and aircraft around Henderson Field but that is required for determining results of Air Raids, Artillery, Naval Bombardment on the airfield.

Tracking pilot status and aircraft will be on paper logs. Too hard to track on map as the squadrons swap out on a fairly regular basis over the 3+ months (Aug-Nov) that are modeled in the game.

T-Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
Late this year or early next year. My day job has been piling more work on me that keeps from hobby work.

Is this still valid?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aro246 wrote:
T-Mo wrote:

Is this still valid?

Thanks!

Unfortunately no. My day job has kept the pile on going over the summer. I just finished a stretch of 11 straight days working 10+ hrs a day as a near term example. So we've made zero progress, although we have almost finished up Eagle of Lille which is the expansion to Bloody April so in that regard I can clear my limited free time to Cactus once EOL is finished. It is going to be a very slow process for me to get this game to publication. We had been making progress on getting the map where we wanted it but my team has shifted to EOL in the near term as that was the easy kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
aro246 wrote:
T-Mo wrote:

Is this still valid?

Thanks!

Unfortunately no. My day job has kept the pile on going over the summer. I just finished a stretch of 11 straight days working 10+ hrs a day as a near term example. So we've made zero progress, although we have almost finished up Eagle of Lille which is the expansion to Bloody April so in that regard I can clear my limited free time to Cactus once EOL is finished. It is going to be a very slow process for me to get this game to publication. We had been making progress on getting the map where we wanted it but my team has shifted to EOL in the near term as that was the easy kill.

Got it, Terry.

Thanks for posting, good luck on your full time job and thank you very much for spending your free time trying to put these projects together so we can have fun with them.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least on a bright note I know my next 4 months won't be as busy as previous four!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.