Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Ogre DE as I'm sure made clear in my review.

However, the box is... well, it's huge. And that's kinda cool. But it's also unwieldy.

I've been looking for an alternative that doesn't involve butchering the DE box.

Plano boxes are awesome, but their availablility locally varies and they're somewhat pricey. I found out that Lee Valley had more of their great divider boxes, and picked some up.

I also bought an 11 litre Really Useful Box from my local DeSerres - they're 18" x 14" x 4-7⁄16" (Internal: 14-3⁄4" x 12-1⁄4" x 3-1⁄2")

I used the classic counter set for my portable game version. The counter containers could also easily accommodate the new DE style counters. The box currently has two of the counter trays, the two halves of the Ogre map, and one GEV map. You could easily stack 4 GEV maps inside without the Ogre map. and the 2 Ogre map halves actually fit in the gap above the counter boxes.

As you can see, the Really Useful Box is a much more manageable size.

The tradeoff is no 3D units, or a very limited selection of them. I'll take it.

Rules on the bottom, the classic map on top, one of the GEV maps on top of that, then two counter boxes, and a Mk III 3D figure for relative scale

Closed on top of the Ogre DE box

The box is made of thick hard plastic, so it has the additional benefit of being able to handle anything being stacked on top of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like a nice solution. I was thinking of creating a "traveling" DE Ogre much the same way using the "Classic" counter set and getting some extra maps. I'd like to also have the classic Ogre Map, too. Is there room in the box for the classic map as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If by classic map you mean the Ogre map, that's what's in the box. You can fit 4 GEV maps PLUS the Ogre map in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Mousseaux

St Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great. The counters appear to be in a livinbox? If that's correct, could you share which size? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are about 10-3/4" by 5-1/2" by 1-3/8" high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hatherley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've taken a similar route, but with a spare game box.

Inside I can fit the Ogre boards, one of the GEV boards (both halves), and enough counters to play Ogre and the GEV scenarios. That's enough for most of my Ogre/GEV needs, and I could easily fit in more counters if I needed to.

I've created an Ogre garage out of spare insert - it's not elegant, but it protects the 3D counters from being crushed by the boards.

I now need to decide what to do with everything else. I'll probably dismantle a good number of the 3D counters - there's only so many Ogres, CPs and laser cannons that I actually need. I then need to find a convenient storage for the other GEV boards - I do have other spare game boxes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think about doing this from time to time, but I think the original DE box is pretty cool and part of the "big" theme of Ogre.

I'm not wild about lugging a 25 pound game downstairs every time we play, but it's good exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.