Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like some ideas on an Admiral's Orders for a swarm type build. It seems that there are orders for other types of play, but I don't think a swarm player is really going to go for the 10 points of United Force. We need something for 4+ ships. At the store I TO at, I'm going to make future (Rest of this month and February) OP and other events be limited to only 1 AO. I'd like to have this be one of the choices! I'm thinking something like this:

Admiral's Orders: Swarm Force (2SP)
You may only deploy this order to your fleet if you have 4 or more ships during setup.

1. During setup, you may designate one of your captains as up to 2 captain skills higher than their normal skill (Example: A 6 captain skill would now be an 8). The captain you designate can't become higher than 9 captain skill. You cannot change this to another captain between Battle Rounds of a tournament.

2. Once during your combat phase, one of your ships may roll 1 extra defense die. You must add the extra die before rolling your other dice during that defense.

The 2SP isn't going to break anything, but I couldn't see doing this for 0. 2 jumps in captain skill is around 2 points difference, so I don't think it will break anything to have a higher skill captain and an extra defense die once a turn.

I think there needs to be something to help prevent one of the ships from blowing up before its even attacked. There's 9 Fed and 9 Klingon captains, but the Romulans and Dominion have 7's. Ferengei and Bajoran captains are just not going to be of use here, but I can't see adding up to 6 to include them.

I figure the swarm ships probably won't have all that much in the way of defense, so an extra defense is what they should get. I thought about 2, but that seems a little much - especially if you have a cloaking swarm.

So what are your thoughts on a swarm admiral order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral's Order - Swarm Force (3 SP)
You may only deploy this order if you have 4 or more ships during setup.

1. Well Coordinated - During Setup, you may choose one of your Captains with a skill of 6 or less. That Captain's printed skill is now a number of your choice that is identical to at least two other Captains in your fleet.

2. Draw Fire - once per turn, before attack dice are rolled, you may redirect an enemy attack to one of your uncloaked ships of your choice which that enemy can legally attack.

IMO, Every order needs compensation for giving up cloak similar to the one with "Strike Force". Being an avid swarm player myself, I often end up running many generic captains for the mobility options. I think the skill-copy ability will further enhance this, while also opening up other options for some swarms with slightly better captain skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for the United Force for a Federation 4 ship swarm as follows:

USS Defiant (24)
Picard (6)
Data (3 United Force)

USS Equinox (20)
Maxwell Burke (1)

Defiant Class (22)
Styles (2)
Sulu (3 United Force)
Positron Beam (2 United Force)
Positron Beam (2 United Force)

Defiant Class (22)
Rudolph Ransom (2)

99 Points

Ransom, Sulu and Data boost defence on the three Defiant class while the Equinox relies on it's shield re-building and has Maxwell for a 1 use boost in Attack.

Styles gets into range one and discards both Positron Beams on the same Target to prevent it from getting actions (as it can only discard one of them with a green maneuver).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.