Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably being really slow or missing something obvious but can anyone help me out?

I really value the above in games like Pathfinder and Descent Road to Legend, does Myth have ongoing progression, upgrades and wotnot for the characters between sessions or dungeons?

I heard mention of XP etc on one of the many vids I've watched but that was it.

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
at the end of ( almost ) every story ( is about 3 game sessions ), you have 2 choices.

either exchange 1 card from your deck with a more advanced card.

Or gain a title, a title gives you the possibility to select an extra buff at the start of a story ( might be at and act too ). ( only 1 active at a time ). But for each title you have, you can keep an item as well. So example: you have 3 titles, which gives you the right to keep 3 items.

at later expansions, there will be specialized class selection. ( this was an idea they had but the more i read into the rulebook the more it looks like it will happen )
with novice, journeyman and master levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
at the end of ( almost ) every story ( is about 3 game sessions ), you have 2 choices.

either exchange 1 card from your deck with a more advanced card.

Or gain a title, a title gives you the possibility to select an extra buff at the start of a story ( might be at and act too ). ( only 1 active at a time ). But for each title you have, you can keep an item as well. So example: you have 3 titles, which gives you the right to keep 3 items.

at later expansions, there will be specialized class selection. ( this was an idea they had but the more i read into the rulebook the more it looks like it will happen )
with novice, journeyman and master levels.

Thanks Jef, I heard mention of achievements in the Slaughter videos too, are they separate to the titles? Sounds like a good way of doing it so far though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaughterfield achievements are different, they are a way of gaining points and Orange-level items.

They're only relevant during a Slaughterfield game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
Slaughterfield achievements are different, they are a way of gaining points and Orange-level items.

They're only relevant during a Slaughterfield game.

Many thanks Bill, I like how Slaughterfield is a different 'mode' to the game with separate videogame-like rewards and achievements.

I'm very curious about the freeform style of play where players get to take actions/play cards in no particular order as they bump up the threat. As a hater of all things 'easy co-op' and the often quoted alpha gamer syndrome in co-ops, it's nice to see this interplay with each player having their own hand of cards so as to encourage discussion and INDIVIDUAL play, not just one dude dictating what everyone does.

It also interests me very much that the game shows more than a passing resemblance to a certain type of videogame too, one of my favourite as it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I too, enjoy how they use concepts that are common in video games. Threat management was one of the things that got me quite excited about the game...reminds me a lot of group battles in MMOs.

I'm also excited about where this can go, with the Journeyman/Master class upgrades. I'm curious how extensive your deck will change, and whether it will be immediate once you've made the class upgrade, or if it's very gradual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They are really playing with the Threat management system, Rath are weak and cowards, they attack the less threatening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I wonder if we will get any official campaign tracker sheet eventually. I'll likely have more than 1 group of people playing the game while other campaigns are going. It would be convenient having a record sheet showing which players are participating in different campaigns, and be able to keep track of deck adjustments, titles, equipment, etc... For ease of swapping between play groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is mostly done (98%).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mastandrea
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
I wonder if we will get any official campaign tracker sheet eventually. I'll likely have more than 1 group of people playing the game while other campaigns are going. It would be convenient having a record sheet showing which players are participating in different campaigns, and be able to keep track of deck adjustments, titles, equipment, etc... For ease of swapping between play groups.

I didn't even think of this, but that will be great. I know a big thing to keep track of is which quest each group goes on. Try to have as little overlap as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
BShotton wrote:
It is mostly done (98%).

That's assuring

I assume it will keep track of all relevant information that rolls over between stories. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Brian could share thoughts concerning the changing of characters during a campaign.

To clarify, I'll use an example. A group of five friends start out first by learning the way the game works through some chapter quest chains and then decides to go for the story quests. After two stories, one of the players decides that he would like to try a different character. (We'll assume there is access to two of every hero). The group continues on with four of the players with upgraded decks/titles and the new hero starting fresh.

My question is, in that situation or any like it (like changing characters after several stories and into journeyman) is there a point where you cannot switch out characters due to the overpowering of tougher bosses and their decks? Is there a reasonable time to say, "you can't switch or you are a dead man."surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough question to answer without revealing a few things still in development (read as not guaranteed to be in the final version). I think the quick answer is this: when you can't easily kill the lowest creature spawning, you know you are in over your head a bit.

You'll know pretty quick. It begins to slide a bit then turns into an avalanche.

Each Novice Hero has two paths at this point. Many of the things shared during the KS still hold true. A Journeyman Hero will be able to take a Captain out in one card often. We add a new class of Monster called Commanders. Mini-bosses and Agents are more prevalent. We can keep older (weaker) bosses relevant by adding extra Stages that up the difficulty.

The progression is a careful one though. Players will have to alter their decks one card at a time, even with the Journeyman cards. We are working on a concept we internally call progression quests. Instead of providing a Title, they provide the Journeyman Hero token (with all the privileges) We'll see if it pans out. So far so good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:

Each Novice Hero has two paths at this point. Many of the things shared during the KS still hold true. A Journeyman Hero will be able to take a Captain out in one card often. We add a new class of Monster called Commanders. Mini-bosses and Agents are more prevalent. We can keep older (weaker) bosses relevant by adding extra Stages that up the difficulty.

The progression is a careful one though. Players will have to alter their decks one card at a time, even with the Journeyman cards. We are working on a concept we internally call progression quests. Instead of providing a Title, they provide the Journeyman Hero token (with all the privileges) We'll see if it pans out. So far so good.

Yay new info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! Thanks very much Brian. Certainly this was more than I intended to receive for my answer. I get the gist of your comment. It is a feeling as the gameplay happens to whether you feel strong enough. I suppose the same is true when novices try to take on a heavier/advanced boss before their time.

I suppose a group could decide to allow a player to alter their deck as if they had adventured all along with that certain hero. However, I would not personally do this as I think the mastering of the hero gameplay/nuances is as important as the upgrades themselves. Watching the vids has shown that players who are unfamiliar with their characters will act less efficiently, but proficiency will come with actual play experience.

I am excited for the progression quest, which might alleviate the problem of throwing a player into a journeyman character without learning the ropes at least. Great thinking! (understanding of course with the caveat of nothing is final until it is final)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Brian!

This is something I've been very interested in, since before the campaign even ended!
I look forward to seeing what you've got in store for us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Brian, as always we're very grateful.

My concern (directed at everybody, not just MERCS) is whether progress is going to be too slow? Is anybody concerned about it turning into a grind? I don't want it to be like MMO's where you have to spend forever to upgrade a character. Obviously the higher a character gets, the tougher it should get to level up, but only changing one card sounds like it might be a slow process. What do others think? Difficult to know until we've seen the proper rules and played the game but I think it definitely needs to strike the balance between not being frustrating, and also actually feeling like a reward (i.e. not just given to you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's interesting new info! Sounds like progression will be possible but quite slow in line with monster scaling which is good, no one wants something impossibly difficult (Doom anyone?) or boringly easy after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
jonahmaul wrote:
but only changing one card sounds like it might be a slow process.

Without the full details of how the process will work, it's tough to gauge. Things to consider:

- how many new cards does a Journeyman class provide?
- how many Journeyman cards will you need in your deck for it to "feel" like you've upgraded to an advanced class (if it's only 1 at a time, and there's no initial swap of "X" cards once you change to Journeyman...that might feel slow)
- "Progression Quests"...what will they be? Single quest in length, or an entire story? They might be designed to be quicker than the standard story card swap mechanic (or they may not be)
- Will the full Journeyman upgrade be possible without having to repeat the same quest content over and over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

Without the full details of how the process will work, it's tough to gauge. Things to consider:

- how many Journeyman cards will you need in your deck for it to "feel" like you've upgraded to an advanced class (if it's only 1 at a time, and there's no initial swap of "X" cards once you change to Journeyman...that might feel slow)
- "Progression Quests"...what will they be? Single quest in length, or an entire story? They might be designed to be quicker than the standard story card swap mechanic (or they may not be)
- Will the full Journeyman upgrade be possible without having to repeat the same quest content over and over?

I think a character by character progression would be fun. Perhaps there's a requirement before upgrading to Journeyman. Let's say that your character cannot attempt his Journeyman quest until he has access to X advanced cards. Then you must complete a story quest that includes a tile in which only the upgrading hero can enter and complete but can do so with the advice of the team.

"Uh guys...I can't see anything its pitch black..."
"You can do it Bruce! We'll help you through this magically sealed giant oak door!"
"Oh crap..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit Off topic but I have to say this: This game and it's Kickstarter is the best i've ever seen. The devs are so much transparent and active here, can't be matched.

Thanks for keeping us posted with cool infos and progression status on the game. You guys are the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
thetang22 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

I think a character by character progression would be fun. Perhaps there's a requirement before upgrading to Journeyman. Let's say that your character cannot attempt his Journeyman quest until he has access to X advanced cards. Then you must complete a story quest that includes a tile in which only the upgrading hero can enter and complete but can do so with the advice of the team.

"You can do it Bruce! We'll help you through this magically sealed giant oak door!"
"Oh crap..."

These are exactly the type of things that I'm wondering about, and the related concerns that you've both covered. There's so much potential here but I think it's a difficult balancing act. My gaming group have been looking for something to fill the WHQ void and I really love the sound of progression in this as it reminds me of things like Champions of Norrath and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance. I am pretty confident that MERCS will get it right, but I still have my fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
thetang22 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

"Oh crap..."

These are exactly the type of things that I'm wondering about, and the related concerns that you've both covered. There's so much potential here but I think it's a difficult balancing act. My gaming group have been looking for something to fill the WHQ void and I really love the sound of progression in this as it reminds me of things like Champions of Norrath and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance. I am pretty confident that MERCS will get it right, but I still have my fingers crossed!

If they could "Myth-ify" the WHQ campaign process and bring it to this game, I might very well just divert my direct deposit paycheck straight into Brian's bank account because I don't see how he won't be getting all my money anyway. It would be far easier than getting it then having to see it go away again. This way I won't even see it, its like I never even got it. Then a few months later I'll get some Myth on my doorstep and it'll be all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rando Commando
msg tools
Wouldn't it be possible, if someone wants to switch classes, to simply swap out/replace all the cards/weapons/items of the starting class with the new one? I am assuming the hero decks are structured the same way so one could replace the soldier's umbrel blade (for example) with an apprentice's green level weapon? Same with other cards as well to basically have a different class at the same level. Might be hard with the trickster or spriggan/druid.But still possible...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
knightshade wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible, if someone wants to switch classes, to simply swap out/replace all the cards/weapons/items of the starting class with the new one? I am assuming the hero decks are structured the same way so one could replace the soldier's umbrel blade (for example) with an apprentice's green level weapon? Same with other cards as well to basically have a different class at the same level. Might be hard with the trickster or spriggan/druid.But still possible...?

I don't think there is any official way to do what you are saying, but it would be simple enough to gauge the amount of progress you've made with a character, and then swap that out to a new character...giving the new character a comparable amount of upgrades.

Depending on your personality though, you'd kinda be robbing yourself of the gameplay of leveling that other character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.