BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Counter/token/marker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a standard accepted definition of what best describes a token?

For example, a game has monster tokens - they represent the monster on the board

There are also tokens on the board that show environmental hazards -

And as players get damaged, they take wound and other effect tokens...

Are all these things tokens? or markers?

How would you describe them in your rules for consistnecies sake?

Im thinking the monsters are tokens
The environment are markers?
the wounds are maybe counters (as you get more than one of them?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster tokens
Hazard markers
Wound counters
Damage chits...

I don't think it matters which you use as long as it is consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not use more than a single word to describe the pieces on the game board. If you're going to call a piece on the board a "token" then call them all tokens, regardless of use. There is no reason to use a different synonym for each of them, the reader will understand you when you add the adjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't give you a comprehensive list, but I believe a number of games follow the same distinction as Magic: the Gathering, which is that things that go on cards to track quantity (power, resources, etc.) are counters (since they're counting something), while pieces that stand alone on the board, representing something like a monster, are tokens.

This surely isn't universal, but it's my default expectation. I don't hear marker get used a lot, except maybe for scoring markers or turn markers, or other highly abstract concepts that aren't very involved in the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to give items with different sizes/purposes different names, especially if I need to refer to all of one group but not the other.
Connotations of words are important too, because it helps players remember what they are and how they work. I personally think of tokens as avatars for things that move around the board. Chits are very small but don't get used much. Counters are small and move a lot, but usually count something. Markers stay in place and give information.
Tiles (which you didn't use) are larger, and get filled in to fill an area

The important thing is to be consistent in what you call them in your rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames are somewhat consistent in saying counters for what represents personnel or vehicle units and the like, markers for turns and various indicators, and chits for a cup of randomness. To me, anyway.

Tokens are used in Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to me, tokens are primarily 3D, something primarily 2D is a card, tile, maybe a disk, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Counters are counted to keep track of numbers (e.g., I have 7 heart counters in front of me meaning I have 7 HP left).

Tokens represent something (e.g., there is a monster token on that space).

Markers don't represent anything nor are they counted, they are usually used to show status (e.g., the blue player marker is on the score track shows that he has 53 points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Counters are counted to keep track of numbers (e.g., I have 7 heart counters in front of me meaning I have 7 HP left).

Markers don't represent anything nor are they counted, they are usually used to show status (e.g., the blue player marker is on the score track shows that he has 53 points).

I agree 100% with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
chadgar24 wrote:
Black Canyon wrote:

I agree 100% with this.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget "items" and "units".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.