Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my group enjoys games like Lords of Waterdeep, Dominion, AOE, ROTW, Antike, Pillars of the Earth, Francis Drake, American Rails, etc...and we really don't have a "go to" space themed game...

so, which of these two would you suggest? thanks...

edit: has Hegemonic replaced Eclipse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ok, Hegemonic or Empires of the Void?
You might want to check out this Geeklist: Space Empire Builders of the Modern Era - A Critical Comparison

Hegemonic, in terms of scoring and what players are working towards, is an area control game fundamentally, like El Grande (for example), although it weaves in many of the 4X elements of expansion, empire building, etc. It is also very conflict heavy with a lot of player-to-player interaction. It's also quite low luck and can feel a bit like an abstract strategy game (think Tigris & Euphrates).

I haven't played Empires of the Void, but my impression is that its quite a different type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Empires of the Void is shorter and easier than Hegemonic. It is more like the games on your list. I own both, have played Hegemonic many times. Sadly, I cannot convince anyone in my group to try Empires of the Void, but then I'm not really trying to persuade them either. I have read the rules of Empires of the Void many times.

Hegemonic is tactically and strategically more complex and a much longer game. It is rewarding and interesting. It exists at a much larger scale than Empires. It is less random as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius van der Merwe
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both, and though quite different, you cannot go wrong with either choice. Hegemonic is more abstract, more strategic, less luck dependent, but also quite a bit drier and more "mathy". Empires of the Void is easier to learn, plays faster, but has a more Ameritrash feel to it (mainly due to dice rolling mechanic that is used for combat). Both games look great on the table, with the art work of Empires probably having the edge. Both games are heavy on player interaction via attacking and defending against others (I mention this because not all players enjoy this type of interaction in a game). Personally I probably like Empires a little bit more. It has a fun tech tree and different race abilities to explore, which is mostly absent from Hegemonic.

But again, both are excellent choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Empires of the Void is shorter and easier than Hegemonic. It is more like the games on your list. I own both, have played Hegemonic many times. Sadly, I cannot convince anyone in my group to try Empires of the Void, but then I'm not really trying to persuade them either. I have read the rules of Empires of the Void many times.

Hegemonic is tactically and strategically more complex and a much longer game. It is rewarding and interesting. It exists at a much larger scale than Empires. It is less random as well.
how steep is the Hegemonic learning curve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
cosine wrote:

how steep is the Hegemonic learning curve?

Hard so say. If you get the rules down well on your own, the explanation can be pretty concise (15 minutes). Check out the Teaching Script in the file section for a distillation of the rules we put together.

BUT - the biggest learning hurdle isn't the rules per se, but rather understanding the implications of them as they play out in terms of scoring and decision making. If you are all new to the game, playing a casual learning game for 2 or 3 rounds to see how it works can be helpful, then reset and dive into a full game. The teaching script has a few gameplay tips / suggestions at the end to help get people through that stage as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll look for the script...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
of the 3 games, is Hegemonic the easier? or Empires of the Void?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

Definitely not.

I'm quite excited about Hegemonic but you can see from reviews that most people feel it's scratching an entirely different itch than Eclipse despite them both being labeled space 4x games.

In fact, some that can't stand Eclipse have been won over by Hegemonic, while some Eclipse fans were left flat. This underscores how little overlap they have experientially beyond the shared theme.

Already owning Eclipse this is actually a selling point for me with Hegemonic, though it certainly doesn't help when you're making an either/or purchasing decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
of the 3 games, is Hegemonic the easier? or Empires of the Void?

Define "easier"? If you mean lighter weight, then yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
John_VW wrote:

Definitely not.

I'm quite excited about Hegemonic but you can see from reviews that most people feel it's scratching an entirely different itch than Eclipse despite them both being labeled space 4x games.

In fact, some that can't stand Eclipse have been won over by Hegemonic, while some Eclipse fans were left flat. This underscores how little overlap they have experientially beyond the shared theme.

Already owning Eclipse this is actually a selling point for me with Hegemonic, though it certainly doesn't help when you're making an either/or purchasing decision. :D

As someone who does own both, I don't see them competing for the same kind of play space. That just means choose which one interests you most, buy it, then buy the other later if you want it. While I like Hegemonics streamlined action phase and appreciate a lot about the game, I love Eclipse. If I had to choose one, it'd be Eclipse, but luckily I don't have to. However, something I've realized recently is that in boardgames, opinions are extremely subjective. Just because many people think a game is good, doesn't mean you'll like it, and that's actually okay. That's why I say read both rulebooks, watch a session of each and decide which interests you more. Either way you'll make a good choice. (Never played empires of the void)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaden sze
Canada
flag msg tools
These games feel very different in sense of game mechanics.

I suggest you buy all 3 games, as they are both very good games and cannot go wrong with your money. If you are short in money, decide with your intuition.

Eclipse is fun because you are spending the entire game upgrading and building your airships, then send out to battle. Hegemonic is beautiful abstract gaming of LINKED colonies, where placement of your units basically determines your power in the galaxy. Empires of the VOID is more a racing to get the BEST airships, and fun when you are in control of airships different than your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.