Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arwen the Cat Reviews RoboRally

Hi. It’s me. Arwen the cat. Cold temperatures do not affect me because my cold heart prevents me from feeling them.

The human male picked this game up at a thrift store for $2. It was unpunched, which he liked, because that meant he didn’t have to inventory the pieces like he usually has to do for his thrifted games.

(Richard Garfield named himself after a cat. Did you know that?)

Concept – I’m not sure if this game is about battling robots or racing robots. Maybe it’s about both. Robots are definitely involved, though. I was thinking about robots myself just the other day. Do you know why there are so many more robot dog toys than robot cat toys on the market? It’s because dogs have no personality and can easily be replaced by a robot. Cats, on the other hand, have so much personality that a robot cat toy just fails completely to capture even a fraction of it. True fact from me to you. Ponder that.

(The robots are cute, but I'm cuter.)

Components – The game comes with a bunch of factory floor boards so that players can set up different tracks each time they play. That’s so nice for you. The eye-catching part of the components, though, are the cute little robot miniatures. My human’s are plastic, but the older editions are metal. The human male decided he would paint his miniatures. They’re so adorable it makes me sick. Actually, I can get behind you board gamers painting your miniatures. It gives them more personality and makes it more satisfying for when we cats destroy them.

(Crusher, hammer, pit, acid...please. Nothing is more destructive than cat.)

Gameplay – Players must use cards from their hand to program a path for their robots to travel. They do this five cards at a time, always keeping in mind the way the terrain on the factory floor boards impact their movement. The humans say this can be very challenging. One miscalculation can send a robot on an errant path hurtling towards destruction. When the humans aren’t looking, I like to move their robot just one space, then watch with glee as their program route fails to take their robot where they thought it would.

(Your robot will suffer much damage during the course of the game and it will be all your fault. Don't you feel terrible?)

Fun Factor – The humans say that the stress of programming and the frustration of a robot not going where it’s supposed to is balanced out by the satisfaction of seeing a robot arrive at a destination as planned. If you’re a board gamer who likes a hefty serving of controlled chaos in their game, then you’ll probably enjoy this game. But if you’re a board gamer who doesn’t like to see their hard work go up in a puff of smoke at a moment’s notice, then this game might not be very fun at all.

(The stupid human male thought it would be funny to put these miniatures on me. We'll see if he still thinks it's funny when I eat his soul.)

Replay Value – There’s supposedly some combat in this game but my humans have only ever played it with two players, so it’s hardly ever come up. They’d like to try this game sometime with multiple players. My humans haven’t actually played this very much since acquiring it. It seems like the sort of game that should have a high replay value, but they just haven’t felt like exploring it all that much.

(What? Is there something on my chin?)

Human Rating – The humans say the balance of stress and satisfaction that come from playing the game makes this only an average game. But they increase their score some because of the robot figures, which they love. 6/10 from them.

Cat Rating – Nice box to lay in. Not a whole lot of components to scatter, though. A few opportunities for a cat to have fun with overall. All things considered, it’s an average cat game and deserves a 5/10 from me.

So there’s the lowdown on RoboRally. If you liked this review, you can check out my other reviews here: Arwen the Cat's Board Game Reviews Subscription GeekList. Arwen out.

(Watch out! There's something behind you! It's your doom!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent review. I will support your humans' theory that the game is more fun with more people. In fact, I find the fun of this game to be roughly quadratic in the number of players, because it's dependent on the interactions between players. So 2-4 players is like , and then 5 goes up to , 6 players is , and 7-8 gets all the way to robotgulpwhistlecrydevil. So bring it out when ALL your friends are there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jp
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How have I missed these?

New favourite reviewer, subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radagast14 wrote:

Spectacular. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many ways to play Robo rally. 3 main ways:

1. Capture the Flag (normal Robo Rally)
2. a race track: mostly used with the Grand Prix expansion, but any boards will work! Make a race track, first one around the loop (we usually play 3 laps) wins
3. Cage match: 1 board, last one surving wins. No flags, no racing, just combat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome review, and awesome find $2 that's a great deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
radagast14 wrote:

Spectacular. laugh

SpeCATular. All the review. Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.