Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arwen the Cat Reviews Tanto Cuore: Romantic Vacation

Hi. It’s me. Arwen the cat. I am the original polar vortex.

The humans say they first played Tanto Cuore at GenCon 2011 where they received a demo from a very pleasant girl dressed up in a maid costume. They purchased the game after the convention online and dutifully picked up the first expansion, Expanding the House, when it came out. But when Romantic Vacation came out, it was scarce and hard to locate. Finally, they acquired a copy from Miniature Market and the human male presented the game to his wife as one of her Christmas presents. Seems like an odd choice of game for a Christmas present. But, oh well. They are odd humans, after all, so I shouldn’t be surprised.

(This is Tanto Cuore. It's a game for degenerates)

Concept – In Tanto Cuore, players take on the role head of a household and through the efforts of employing (through the currency of Love) and chambering “private” maids, strive to become the best Master. Sounds to me like a game perverts would play. Anyway, the Romantic Vacation expansion is a stand-alone expansion and introduces Reminiscing Cards, in which players must discard cards from their hands that meet a certain qualification in exchange for rewards of some sort.

(This is a Reminiscing card. In this particular one, the maids are gathering for an innocent campfire. Isn't that nice?)

Components – The humans say the cards in Romantic Vacation feature the same stellar artwork featured in the base game and previous expansion. When I look at these cards, all I see are a bunch of girls in risqué costumes. If I weren’t a cat, I would blush. You board gamers that still live in your mom’s basement will want to hide this game in the back of your sock drawer with that deck of XXXenophile cards you bought from your friend and the black Magic cards you told your mom you traded away.

(Okay, some of these cards are just ridiculous. Here's the Job-Skipping Maid. What good is a Job-Skipping Maid?)
(And what the heck is a Watermelon-Smashing Maid?!)
(And then the Dolphin-Caretaker Maid! How often would you need her services? Okay, you perverts, don't answer that.)

Gameplay – The humans say this is one of those deck-builders that borrows liberally from the mechanics of Dominion. But, like Trains, Tanto Cuore changes and adds just enough so that it feels like a completely different game. Plus, there are no scantily clad maids in Dominion. The Reminiscence cards mentioned earlier continue this trend of differentiating Tanto Cuore from other deck-builders.

(How are you going to play now, huh?)

Fun Factor – The human male says the game is good innocent fun. The human female doesn’t like to admit it, but she likes the game too. I can tell. I suppose if you’re into buying chicks off with love and collecting a harem of maids, you’ll like this game as well.

(I'm rescuing this poor girl from this game.)

Replay Value – The human male says that, like all deck-builders, the replay value of Tanto Cuore lies in the available number of combination of cards that can be fielded for diverse gameplay. Romantic Vacation is billed as a stand-alone expansion, but I suppose you’ll want the rest of the sets as well to enjoy the full experience possible from the game. If you’re this far gone into the game, you might as well get this set too.

(Whoops, I missed. Here, let me try that again...)
(There, that's better.)

Human Rating – The human male says the continual thematic excellence of this expansion combined with an exciting new deck-building goal make this a 9/10. The human female says she gives this a 9/10 as well because of the high replay value. Personally, I think she likes to imagine herself as one of the maids. Hmmm, I probably shouldn’t go down that road or think too much about that.

Cat Rating – Eh, not much for a cat to get excited about here. I’m not much of a fan of card games in general. But at least with a game like Dominion I get a nice, spacious box to lay in. But these Tanto Cuore boxes are just card boxes with pictures of girls printed on them. Romantic Vacation gets a 2/10 from me.

(Okay, that was a little fun.)

That’s all I want to say about Tanto Cuore: Romantic Vacation. If you like this review, you can check out my other reviews here: Arwen the Cat's Board Game Reviews Subscription GeekList.

(And here's the Mer-Maid. Ha ha. Pardon me while I go hunt down whoever thought up this particular card and punish them severely for it.)

Arwen out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review, cousin!

I've got the game and I love it! And the "Mer-Maid" joke is so bad that I laugh at it just because it's ridiculous!

Please keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
radagast14 wrote:
(And here's the Mer-Maid. Ha ha. Pardon me while I go hunt down whoever thought up this particular card and punish them severely for it.)

*rises slowly with raised hand*

Yes, it was me. *takes on defying stance* What would you want me to write? Mermaid maid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
What would you want me to write? Mermaid maid?

It would be hilarious. I'd then say who made this card was a stutterer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.