United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm new to Photoshop and I understand the concept of bleed area and know how to adjust accordingly. However, I can't figure out how to actually apply "physical" bleed lines. I know how to add a separate layer and all, but is there a right or wrong method of doing this? More specifically, how do I apply circular bleed lines. Any advice would help. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chien
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bleed lines are just reference visual guidelines for expected cuts by the die machine.

For circular, I would recommend:

1. Create a vector circle in your PSD at the correct size
2. Duplicate that layer
3. Expand the new layer by the necessary size up (ie. 1/8" bleed all around)
4. Give that layer a stroke (layer effect) and no fill.

You would then just make sure that your design sits went in that original correct circle (#1) but have the necessary color bleed into the larger circle (#3).

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Can you point to an example of what you're trying to do? I know what "bleed" is and I know what "crop marks" are, but I am not sure I understand what "bleed lines" are. Is that the same thing as a crop mark? Maybe that will also help me to understand what being circular has to do with them. I just don't think I understand specifically what you're referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally create my dielines in InDesign. I'll create the dieline (1 pt line) around the token shape. Then I'll expand it to a 13 pt line (centered) and c/p that into Photoshop. That'll be my 1/8" bleed. Then I c/p the 1 pt line into the same PS file as a separate layer. I'll apply the bleed outline as a clipping mask of a folder for the token I'm working on. When the token is complete, simply save the file out as a flattened .PSD and place it on a layer below the dieline in ID.

–Peter Wocken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not sure if you'll be preparing the file for print ourself, but make sure that any die lines are easily separable by the printer. Usually this means either providing the die lines as a separate file that matches up exactly to the artwork file, or (if provided in the same file as the artwork) set to a spot colour and overprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
Can you point to an example of what you're trying to do? I know what "bleed" is and I know what "crop marks" are, but I am not sure I understand what "bleed lines" are. Is that the same thing as a crop mark? Maybe that will also help me to understand what being circular has to do with them. I just don't think I understand specifically what you're referring to.

I will be using Panda Games for manufacturing, and here is some info from their page regarding their requirements..

"All bleed areas are consistent. If there is a 3mm bleed on the left side, ensure there is also a 3mm bleed on the right side. Any files requiring Die-cutting have 2 layers: one for the graphics and one for the die-cutting lines."

I probably meant to say "die-cutting lines" instead of "bleed lines".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll try those techniques.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.