Subject: Facing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Davis
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
The rules for facing say "A figure's facing can be changed during its activation at the beginning or end of an action". This (imo) implies that it can't change facing before *and* after activation, but I have seen posts in this forum and videos that say it can change twice. Which is right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play both.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Armitage
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play "once". (imo) the key is using the word "OR".

This may be howeever matter of interpretation of "OR" . Old logical dillema .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ ! FAQ ! Please give us the FAQ !

I think the difference is pretty important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Schoonover
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent is that you can change facing as often as you want during your turn as long as it is not during an action. After all, "after" one action is "before" the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Will, thank you very much for the quick responses. I have a similar question to ask regarding facing.

What about effects like Team Leader's Reposition which moves other commandos during another player's turn? Can they change facing then? If we follow the rules as written, they cannot but I want to know what is the rules intent here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it as each action you perform gives you one face change either before or after the action, so during a move action you can only change facing once, but then you take a fire action so you can change facing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Light
United States
eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
the rules do cover movement/facing when its not your turn p:13

"If a commando is allowed to take a move action during another player's turn, he can change his facing before or after the move"

and just for my 2 cents, we play that you get to make one change to facing per action, as it does use "or" and not "and" or some other inclusive phrase. It also mentions that you can change facing "without increasing adrenaline at that time" which to me implies that if you want to just turn around normally it does take some effort, and the use of say a 1 cost move action at the least. and thematically it works for me, you're turning around because you heard something behind you. your adrenaline is pumping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrunkenSaint wrote:
the rules do cover movement/facing when its not your turn p:13

"If a commando is allowed to take a move action during another player's turn, he can change his facing before or after the move"

and just for my 2 cents, we play that you get to make one change to facing per action, as it does use "or" and not "and" or some other inclusive phrase.

Did you notice that the designer clarified things 3 posts above yours ?

"The intent is that you can change facing as often as you want during your turn as long as it is not during an action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
DeadlyEd wrote:
The intent is that you can change facing as often as you want during your turn as long as it is not during an action. After all, "after" one action is "before" the next.

Thanks Will.
This is kind of a follow-up question to the facing question, but do you have to move the direction you're facing?

If you do, then that would make a move action more restrictive, as it'd be harder to take a single move action around a corner.

If you don't, which is the way we've been playing, then that relaxes things quite a bit. You can pretty much move where you want to go, and simply face your commando the direction you want to face after you've moved.

Thanks in advance, and we've really ben enjoying the game.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement rules on pg 13 state that it costs one movement point to move into an adjacent space. There is nothing that talks about facing during movement, so we've been playing that facing doesn't matter while you're moving (i.e. moving backwards costs the same amount as moving forward).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Maim
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:

Did you notice that the designer clarified things 3 posts above yours ?

"The intent is that you can change facing as often as you want during your turn as long as it is not during an action."

He also said "After all, 'after' one action is 'before' the next." Which isn't always the case. Eventually there has to be a last action in a player's turn.

If the intent was to allow multiple facing changes during each action, the Changing Facing rules on p.13 should be changed to read "A figure’s facing can be changed during its activation at the beginning and end of an action", which it currently does not.

As I said in the other thread, if a commando turns around and shoots, he should have to use another action in order to turn around again and take the adrenaline to do so. It only makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please give another clarification to clarify your clarification!

Or? And/or? Does facing during movement matter? Confusing.

Please Will, give us a FAQ, an unambiguous sentence rephrasing p13 CHANGING FACING.

(Maybe I played too much Space Hulk!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you should be able to change facing before an action. Because then facing means nothing as you can change facing before performing a shoot action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question come up about facing in my game last night. A fear hunter moved adjacent to a commando and had another commando 2 spaces away to his right. Fear hunters can attack twice per activation so the idea was to attack them each once. The issue was that since one was off to his right, does he have to have field of vision to do a melee attack? If he does, is he allowed to attack the adjacent commando, then change his facing for his second attack against the guy on his right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read it long ago was that you can change facing before and after an attack.

I can't go grab my rule book at this time to confirm because it's in the basement with someone sleeping but I'm pretty sure I remember it saying that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.