Chris Dame
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“Why should we look to the past in order to prepare for the future? Because there is nowhere else to look.” ― James Burke
mbmbmbmbmb

BGG Link : Sentinels of the Multiverse

Miniature Market - $18
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/27529...

Coolstuff - $25.99
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165459

Amazon - $27.96
http://www.amazon.com/Sentinels-Multiverse-Enhanced-Card-Edi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great deal on a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, that's a damned good deal. There is a LOT of gameplay and variety in that box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ultraconsumer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to single out this thread, but this is ONLY a good deal if you're getting free shipping, otherwise it's (for me) $12.xx, making the Amazon price $3-4 cheaper still.

I don't like the daily deal setup at CSI and MM. The deals are only good for encouraging you to buy more -- a LOT more -- to get free shipping. Or if you had $82 of stuff in your cart already then this deal looks really nice. Because of the format you can only get 1 "deal" per $100 order as well. I'd love to add 5-10 of these deals and buy them all at once with free shipping.

The daily deals should include free shipping, in my opinion, in order to attract new customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
gamerluke wrote:
Sorry to single out this thread, but this is ONLY a good deal if you're getting free shipping, otherwise it's (for me) $12.xx, making the Amazon price $3-4 cheaper still.

I don't like the daily deal setup at CSI and MM. The deals are only good for encouraging you to buy more -- a LOT more -- to get free shipping. Or if you had $82 of stuff in your cart already then this deal looks really nice. Because of the format you can only get 1 "deal" per $100 order as well. I'd love to add 5-10 of these deals and buy them all at once with free shipping.

The daily deals should include free shipping, in my opinion, in order to attract new customers.

That is not how sales work.

You sell a product for less money than you bought it in the hope that the customer buys OTHER products to supplement the loss of profit. CSI and MM probably don't make any money off their daily sales since they are selling it for so cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh, I don't need a deal on the base game, I need deals on those juicy expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerluke wrote:

I was really excited to see this price, as well. After adding shipping, though, it was still the same price as Amazon (I'm a Prime member). So, for the same price, I could just order from Amazon and the game will get here in 2 days, whereas the cheapest CSI shipping method arrives via Snail. Adding any faster shipping on CSI tilts the price clearly in Amazon's favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
weezknight wrote:
gamerluke wrote:

I was really excited to see this price, as well. After adding shipping, though, it was still the same price as Amazon (I'm a Prime member). So, for the same price, I could just order from Amazon and the game will get here in 2 days, whereas the cheapest CSI shipping method arrives via Snail. Adding any faster shipping on CSI tilts the price clearly in Amazon's favor.

Yes, it's cheaper for you. I have to pay 70 dollars extra with the base price of the game to get free shipping? Not a very good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Man people are so unappreciative.

Thanks OP for the heads up!

Fantastic game and a fantastic deal. Sure you may have to purchase a bunch more stuff to get to $100 but I have done it in the past when I had my eye on a few things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerluke wrote:

For CSI, preorder the 6-player map for Small World. It won't come in until November. Drop it when you like. You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ultraconsumer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
gamerluke wrote:

You sell a product for less money than you bought it in the hope that the customer buys OTHER products to supplement the loss of profit. CSI and MM probably don't make any money off their daily sales since they are selling it for so cheap.

This is not a complaint about the sale itself so much as a shipping complaint. I could go to my local B+M and buy 3 sale items at once. At MM or CSI, if I buy 3 at once and it doesn't total $100 or more, I have to buy more, otherwise the "sale" price is negated by high shipping costs.

I'm not blaming the OP for this and am still grateful for the post. However, for a vast majority of people who would pick this game up at the "sale" price (myself included), it ends up being a bad deal overall.

In fact, the only reason for me to shop at CSI or MM at all is if they carry a game that Amazon doesn't. I'd rather buy 1 game at a time with free shipping than be forced into spending $100+ per transaction. I understand why they need to charge shipping (they're smaller than Amazon and shipping board games is expensive), but I wish there was a better way so I could support the little guys without straight up feeling like a got a worse deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wheeler
United States
North Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
gamerluke wrote:
broken clock wrote:
gamerluke wrote:

This is not a complaint about the sale itself so much as a shipping complaint. I could go to my local B+M and buy 3 sale items at once. At MM or CSI, if I buy 3 at once and it doesn't total $100 or more, I have to buy more, otherwise the "sale" price is negated by high shipping costs.

I'm not blaming the OP for this and am still grateful for the post. However, for a vast majority of people who would pick this game up at the "sale" price (myself included), it ends up being a bad deal overall.

I picked mine up when Amazon had it marked down to 19.49 for this same reason. With Amazon's free shipping at 35, I only had to add 15 dollars more to get free shipping, something I could afford to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
gamerluke wrote:
broken clock wrote:
gamerluke wrote:

In fact, the only reason for me to shop at CSI or MM at all is if they carry a game that Amazon doesn't. I'd rather buy 1 game at a time with free shipping than be forced into spending $100+ per transaction. I understand why they need to charge shipping (they're smaller than Amazon and shipping board games is expensive), but I wish there was a better way so I could support the little guys without straight up feeling like a

got a worse deal.

This is not the feeling of the majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
gamerluke wrote:
broken clock wrote:
gamerluke wrote:

In fact, the only reason for me to shop at CSI or MM at all is if they carry a game that Amazon doesn't. I'd rather buy 1 game at a time with free shipping than be forced into spending $100+ per transaction. I understand why they need to charge shipping (they're smaller than Amazon and shipping board games is expensive), but I wish there was a better way so I could support the little guys without straight up feeling like a

got a worse deal.

It seems that every other week someone has to complain about the CSI and MM deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerluke wrote:
I'd rather buy 1 game at a time with free shipping than be forced into spending $100+ per transaction.
And you call yourself an "ultra consumer?"

ps - I'm just playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ultraconsumer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:

I bet they would sell at least 2-3x as many copies of a sale game if it included free shipping. If this is the case, then the "vast majority" agree that shipping kills this deal. This is, however, just a guess on my part.

tacoSEVEN wrote:
And you call yourself an "ultra consumer?"
ps - I'm just playing.

Yup. If there's no advantage to buying this at MM, why would I?

Of course if you were already planning on buying $100+ worth of games, and the total comes out lower at MM, then suddenly there's an advantage to buying it there!

Anyways, sorry for hijacking your thread. This is an awesome deal (minus the shipping costs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often find that CSI + SmartPost shipping is still cheaper than a lot of other places. Now, having the patience to wait for SmartPost is another issue entirely. whistle

Point is, I don't find the $100 free shipping threshold all that important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
I often find that CSI + SmartPost shipping is still cheaper than a lot of other places. Now, having the patience to wait for SmartPost is another issue entirely. whistle

Point is, I don't find the $100 free shipping threshold all that important.

That was my point. I have no problem waiting for SmartPost (it's the reason I've bought so much through CSI to begin with). However, when looking at Amazon vs. CSI on this deal, the difference is less than $1 for me, but CSI would come SmartPost, and Amazon will have it on more doorstep in 2 days.

I don't like to slag on deals, but sometimes the shipping does come into play on whether or not the deal is truly "hot."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ultraconsumer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect shipping costs are lower for people who live close to CSI (FL) or MM (MO), making the differences negligible. For us Northwesterners, even SmartPost prices put the total price well over Amazon 9 times out of 10.

For this game, cheapest shipping from MM is $12.xx and from CSI it's $8.xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gamerluke wrote:
I suspect shipping costs are lower for people who live close to CSI (FL) or MM (MO), making the differences negligible. For us Northwesterners, even SmartPost prices put the total price well over Amazon 9 times out of 10.

For this game, cheapest shipping from MM is $12.xx and from CSI it's $8.xx.

I'm in the exact same boat (and apparently geographic region) as you. I've always wanted to order from CSI and MM because of their positive reputations here, but I'm a one game-at-a-time kinda guy as well and nothing beats Amazon for that. Especially when you factor in the shipping speed, even for non-Prime orders. Obviously people are very passionate about their favorite suppliers, but despite my best efforts to buy from them the CSI and MM "sales" are never low enough to beat out a cheap seller on Amazon with the Prime designation. Sure, those cheap games go quickly on Amazon, but they seem to from the other suppliers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
gamerluke wrote:
broken clock wrote:

I bet they would sell at least 2-3x as many copies of a sale game if it included free shipping. If this is the case, then the "vast majority" agree that shipping kills this deal. This is, however, just a guess on my part.

I've already addressed this statement. CSI and MM do not make any money off these sale items.

No, I'm willing to bet MOST people do not agree that shipping kills the deal. Have you seen the collection of the average user on this site? Ordering a couple of games to fill a 100 dollar order means nothing to them. CSI and MM daily deals, when they are for a great game, routinely have the highest thumb counts.

The average price of games on Amazon is bloody dreadful in comparison to the major board game retailers. It's only the odd sale where they can even match MM or CSI. Even then, it's not beating it, it's simply the same price. I see countless threads talking about how there is a hot deal on Amazon for Prime members, even if it's the same price (or more sometimes) than CSI or MM). But I don't go into those threads and vent about how I have to spend 70 a year to save 5 bucks on a game.

I guess I don't understand your purpose in this thread. What is it you're looking to discuss. It seems to me you're not looking to talk about anything in particular, you're simply looking to tell other people that shipping kills the deal for you. That's a fine statement, I guess; however, I would prefer you keep it to yourself if it in anyway makes someone think twice before posting a deal they think is hot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
I guess I don't understand your purpose in this thread. What is it you're looking to discuss. It seems to me you're not looking to talk about anything in particular, you're simply looking to tell other people that shipping kills the deal for you. That's a fine statement, I guess; however, I would prefer you keep it to yourself if it in anyway makes someone think twice before posting a deal they think is hot.

There is no grand "purpose" to those types of posts. They're simply a form of frustrated venting that, if anything, serve as a disincentive for people to post in the hot deals forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.