R S
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EDITED (1-15-2014) - The original idea for the X-wing Hall of Fame was to bring the community together to celebrate and thank members of our community. It was probably very naive of us think that the majority of the community would look at this as a good thing. Yes, there were flaws in the first post, and more information could have definitely been given. This is why we closed nominations to work on a more thorough description of the process, and to fix some errors.

However it quickly became apparent that no matter what we posted next, it could potentially ruin an otherwise wonderful community. Our desire to create something nice, ended up putting people at arms, and that was definitely NOT what we intended.

That being said, the HoF Committee has decided, in the best interest of the community, to end our plans for an X-wing Hall of Fame. If we have hurt or offended anyone along the way, please accept our humblest apologies. I only hope that this apology has not come too late.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please do not post nominations on this thread. Nominations are only being accepted on Facebook at the link below.

Attention all pilots around the globe, it’s time to fire up your targeting computers for the inaugural class of the X-Wing Hall of Fame!

First and foremost, World Champions and U.S. National Champions will be automatically inducted into the Hall of Fame. This means that the first three inductees this year will be Doug Kinney (WC 2012), Jacob Pichelmeyer (NC 2013), and Paul Heaver (WC 2013). So there is no reason to nominate them unless it is for a reason other than their championship wins.

So here is how the process is going to work. Head to the following link on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2014XwingMiniaturesHallOfFam...) and nominate precisely three (3) individuals you feel are deserving of this prestigious honor. Please give us their real name (if you know it) and/or screen name (with the website they typically post to). Also, provide one sentence after each nominee describing the reason you are nominating them. If you nominate more than 3 people, all of your nominations will be void.

When making your respective nominations, ask yourself, does the individual display or exemplify the following characteristics?

Innovation of the game
• Squad Builder
• Creative designer (mission, artistic/repainter, etc.)
• Prolific and relevant forum contributor
• Supporting product design (star maps, tokens etc…)

Support of the game
• Tournament organizer
• Teacher of game mechanics & rules
• Competitive play record
• Etc.

These represent only a few reasons that people could be nominated. Please take time to carefully consider who you will nominate.

The X-Wing HoF committee, comprised of seven active and experienced X-wing players, will act as the keepers of the nominations and shall oversee the process of finalizing the HoF class of 2014. The nomination period will begin on January 14, 2014 and will be open for three weeks. The nomination period will close at 11:59pm on February 4, 2014, so be sure to get your votes in for your candidates by then.

We’re very excited about getting this rolling and are looking forward to see who you feel is worthy of being in the HoF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2014 X-wing Miniatures Hall of Fame Nominations are now open!
Any particular reason the US champion is automatically inducted, but no other champions? Or is just open to US nominations anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drkjedi35 wrote:
Please do not post nominations on this thread. Nominations are only being accepted on Facebook at the link below.

I tried but because I'm not a member of the group it won't let me post! An Open group means that everyone can see the messages that members read, not that anyone who looks at it may post.

drkjedi35 wrote:
First and foremost, World Champions and U.S. National Champions will be automatically inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Then you should call this the US X-Wing Hall of Fame. Geez. Way to crap on the rest of the world straight away!!

drkjedi35 wrote:

So here is how the process is going to work. Head to the following link on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2014XwingMiniaturesHallOfFam...) and nominate precisely three (3) individuals you feel are deserving of this prestigious honor.

Surely up to three?!? If you can't think of three is your nomination invalidated?? Of course not!

drkjedi35 wrote:
When making your respective nominations, ask yourself, does the individual display or exemplify the following characteristics?
Innovation of the game
• Squad Builder
• Creative designer (mission, artistic/repainter, etc.)
• Prolific and relevant forum contributor
• Supporting product design (star maps, tokens etc…)
Support of the game
• Tournament organizer
• Teacher of game mechanics & rules
• Competitive play record
• Etc.

And we're meant to summarise all of that in one sentence? I don't think this has been thought through properly. How can you possibly determine who is appropriate from only one sentence? Surely a few sentences or a paragraph? Unless you want us to write ridiculously long sentences with many clauses in them!

Don't get be wrong. I think this is a lovely idea. Really lovely. I think it typifies the kind of community that we have in this game. I just think the way you're going about it is mistaken.

Here are the changes I would suggest:

1) World Champions should be automatically included but the US National Champion should not.
2) If National Champions are to be included, then ALL National Champions should be included (UK, Slovakia, Nordic (I appreciate that Nordic is not a nation but since there were Nordic Championships...), etc).
3) There should be a set limit of entrants to the Hall of Fame per country per year. This way the Jedi Nominations Council or the votes aren't influenced by Nationality, as we've already seen has happened. What I mean is, there should be, for example, two entrants from the US, two from the UK etc. Every nation should get the same number of entrants. Living in one country shouldn't make it less likely for you to get into the Hall of Fame. But if there is no set number then obviously American players are more likely to receive more votes and then the entire Hall of Fame exercise will be a bit of a joke.
4) Give people a chance to really make a case. Some people are known worldwide but some are extremely influential locally but may not be well-known globally. It would be very difficult for you to make a fair decision based on one sentence alone.
5) Include me for making all these brilliant suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is a facebook group that was just created "prestigious"?

Also, FFG already beat you too this. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=169&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ya ya
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
drkjedi35 wrote:

I don't have (and don't want) a facebook account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In an attempt to clarify the Hall of Fame process and address a few issues, the Hall of Fame Committee has decided to close down the nominations for a few hours. We will open it back up soon with a more clearly defined process.

The goal of the Hall of Fame Committee is to recognize the people in our worldwide community who have had a strong impact on this game that we love so much. The response so far has proved that this is something that the community is passionate about and should be done right. Please bear with us while we regroup.

Stay Tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
drkjedi35 wrote:
Hall of Fame Committee

No time to discuss this as a committee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to be a damp squib but after having spent a number of hours considering this project, I want to ask a rather searching question about this entire endeavour. I'm posting this on Facebook, on FFG and on the BGG forum. The question is this... Is this good for our community?

At first glance, it obviously seems that it is. It's a way of rewarding people for their positive contributions to our lives. But...

Doug Kinney has pushed for Fly Casual to be the underlying way that we play our beloved game. When we Fly Casual, we play the game for fun and for community, not for prestige. We are a global real and online community and as a community there are some people with particular skill sets who come to the fore. You probably know the names I'm thinking of and I don't need to say them. And that's the point...

At most UK tourmanents now we have a Best Sport prize. Because of it, I find myself now being sporting not because I want to fly casual, but because I want the prize. I'm no longer flying casual, I'm flying selfish. We're a community who share what we have in terms of talents, skills and opinions. We do it because we love the game and love the community. As soon as you reward the sharing, though, you cheapen it. Future sharing will, for some at least, be a means to an end and not an end in itself. And that's where community starts to die.

So, as much as I originally liked this idea and as much as I certainly see the positive place where it came from, I think it may be misguided and potentially socially damaging. As a gaming community that has high-profile tournaments, clearly there will be winners and, for lack of a better word, losers. But when you go further and reward people for their contributions to the community by voting, you create people who are in and, by default, people who are out. That sets up a social tiering which also does not need to exist.

The long and short of it, then, is that I think that if we want to honour the people who have made a positive impact on our lives then we should do so by thanking them personally. That means no competition, no honours for people being who they are, no convoluted voting process, no unnamed panel of judges, no gradation of "most influential" or anything like that, just pure appreciation. That can be achieved in a simple BGG thread, and that's exactly what I'm going to set up now.

If you wish to continue with your Hall of Fame, feel free to take names from the list of people I appreciate and thank in my BGG thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Tusken on this. I'm not convinced that adding politics and popularity contests to the X-Wing community will add much to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The original idea for the X-wing Hall of Fame was to bring the community together to celebrate and thank members of our community. It was probably very naive of us think that the majority of the community would look at this as a good thing. Yes, there were flaws in the first post, and more information could have definitely been given. This is why we closed nominations to work on a more thorough description of the process, and to fix some errors.

However it quickly became apparent that no matter what we posted next, it could potentially ruin an otherwise wonderful community. Our desire to create something nice, ended up putting people at arms, and that was definitely NOT what we intended.

That being said, the HoF Committee has decided, in the best interest of the community, to end our plans for an X-wing Hall of Fame. If we have hurt or offended anyone along the way, please accept our humblest apologies. I only hope that this apology has not come too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you guys have shown real humility here. I'm pleased to see on the Facebook group some very interesting alternate discussions, such as AFM running a feature on a differing member of the X-Wing community every month. From acorns...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.