Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I've been thinking about recently was how diluted the decks get as the game progresses. I haven't reached AP3 yet but I understand the process of removing cards. However, I agree with this conversation from another thread:

IKerensky wrote:
jrd23 wrote:
A good reason to only add the new cards when you reach the later adventures is that this makes the adventure more distinct - you will meet more goblins in the goblin scenarios, more undead in the undead scenarios, etc. Without this, all the adventures are going to feel quite similar.

That is not entirely true...

You will meet more goblins during AP1
You will meet some undead during AP2 but about as often as you meet goblins.
You will meet a few giant and ogres during AP3 if you are lucky but more often than not (75% of the time) you will keep encoutering previous cards.

That is the main weakness of the game too random, far too random, no amount of seeding in the scenario or location set up wich is really a shame.

I've been thinking of taking the new scenarios, and taking the same number of random monster cards from the box and using those cards to build locations. For example take the X monster cards from AP1 and take X random monsters from the base set and shuffle them all together. For AP2, same idea, but you will have the base monsters and AP1 monsters when taking the random cards from the box, and so on.

I think this would accomplish two main things:

Theme: You would be more likely to encounter the types of monsters the AP has introduced. This keeps scenarios fresh and have a different feel (at least for the first play through).

Difficulty: A lot of people have been commenting that they find the game too easy. Ensuring you have a 50% chance of encountering the current APs monsters, but not for other things such as Boons, will increase the difficulty. By how much, I have no idea as I haven't tried it yet. But I don't think it would be too extreme, just more challenging.

The down side would be that once you reach AP3 you are less likely to encounter and remove basic monsters, but if you are manipulating the monster deck in such a way anyway, would that matter? All other types of cards would still be being used in location decks in the standard way so they would be removed at the usual rate.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of doing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, thematically.

It wont do a lot to fix the combat difficulty because Monster and Heroes both grow in Strength at the same rate (currently heroes are a bit faster). It will perhaps improve the average but no sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea to me. Do you think you would go 50/50 for new/old monsters?

It is similar to my "slow mix" variant, but less overhead. Seems like you hit on the major pros already. The only con I can think of is you might get tired of meeting the same "new" monsters every scenario. A lot of the APs don't add many new monsters in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logan8 wrote:

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of doing this?

Well, it won't work as written, as there are only 10 monsters in AP 3, which won't be enough for some scenarios. And some of these are pretty nasty, so I don't think I'd want to meet them in every scenario! But it's a decent idea, just may need a bit of tweaking. Note also that the base set contains some quite tough monsters (hill giant, werewolf, siren) so leaving out random base set cards won't necessarily increase the difficulty (and might even make the game easier).

One thing I've done which works well is to remove all the AP 1 monsters (except the undead) when playing AP 2. This certainly makes AP 2 a lot more thematic, but I haven't tried anything like this for AP 3 yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is I think my only gripe about this game. As you mix in new cards it get lost in the previous decks that are already loaded. Monster deck is already packed that in some scenarios I don't see anything from the current Adventure...

Same thing goes with boons. Imagine how sad Valeros was when after AP1 he only had one cool weapon among the tremendous amount of basic he got?

I'm starting to develop my own variant to aleviate this and make each path as unique as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I basically just separate my monsters after each play according to theme: Human, Undead, Goblin and other (Usually various beasts and abberations).

Depending on how I feel about the scenario, I'll quickly sift through the monster deck that best matches the type that would be in the scenario and just drop an excess of the necessary number. If it's mostly an urban scenario or it fits the lore of the villain/henchman, for example, I'll put mostly human monsters if not all of them. Then I'll quickly sift through the beasts and drop an excess of ones that I think will best fit the various locations.
Then I just shuffle and deal from the newly composed stack.

This method reinforces the themes and doesn't discriminate between APs. If you want more variety add a few random monsters from the other groups or for more difficulty just increase or decrease the odds of dealing weak/stronger monsters. This way you have some control, but it still feels random and surprising, plus it makes the adventures and locations feel more consistent.

EDIT:
I also play with several other variants that have a good impact on difficulty.
Some of which are (but not always played in combination):
- The blessing deck is 22 cards plus 2 for each player
- A linear/pathed board with additional locations (would adjust blessings to 30+ for this setup)
- "Blessing of the Frauds" All blessing powers add Xd6 instead of an additional die of the original skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.