Ben Marks
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
Powered by hobbits
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am often dubious about bringing the WK into play early in a game as he activates all the FP nations. I often use an early tactic of weakening a few individual nations before others can assist.

I often see/hear people say that he is amazing and very strong but I am often concerned about giving the FP the ability to organize and build up a sizeable force.

Am I being over cautious or is there merit in my concern? If the WK really THAT strong that he is worth this or should I bring him in later when nations tend to be active anyway?

I am playing with LOME so should I delay him and make use of Gothmog early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the expansion, but for me it seems that if Rohan and Gondor are at war it doesn't really matter anymore. I find it quite useful to attack both at once as it spreads the muster dice thin. This pretty much means that when I'm ready to charge into Gondor and Rohan I might as well have the Witch-king for his ability and two points of leadership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations becoming active, I do not consider to be a big problem personally. It generally does not take much for that to happen in any case. The counters are not moved closer to war so the free still have to use musters to do that and if all nations are active they will not be able to move them all, the only thing it gives them is choice. Of course this is War of the Ring, so there are exceptions to this. Maybe he should not be brought out if the card to stop passive nations advancing is out or likely to be played. Perhaps if a nation is one step from war and the free have a lot of musters lined up.

Personally I think the huge advantages (extra dice and card drawing) he brings outways his downsides. The Balrog disadvantages bringing the Elves and Dwarves down is worse in my opinion.

In LOME it can be worth delaying the WK black captain if the fellowship have yet to be revealed and it is worth using the WK chief of the ringwraiths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to think this to be a big drawback too, but it might not be that big.
I usually don't play the WK before Gondor is at war anyway, and the Dwarves and the North may not be worth mustering to war even if they are active.

With the expansion, you can play the other WK first. He doesn't activate nations. Later in the game, you can replace him with the Black Captain.

Gondor and Rohan are most important. You don't want to activate them prematurely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually bring in the Witch King fairly early and have had good success hitting Gondor with a large force led by him. The extra dice and leadership are great and they won't have much time to prepare for him so I don't care if they get activated.

It's still a lot of musters to get nations to war and as long as you can keep pressure on it will be hard for the FP player to take those musters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itamar Parann
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In LoME you can bring in the ringwraith hunter aspect, then replace it with black captain. This does not resolve your issue, but it is worth mentioning, as this is a great way to get an action die without aiding the FP to save dice of his own - and later you can switch as needed.

Directly to the point, the black captain 'costs' you several action dice that are freed for the FP, but he gives you crushing access to cards - which translates to fewer casualties and quicker victories (which means you save on action dice yourself).

In my games, Rohan is often quickly at war, due to Isengard attacks. After that, if the witch king has not entered play already, I bring the Black Captain in, and it is well worth the cost, as he greatly boosts the war effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Marks
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools