Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reposted from http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1qyuzx/discussio..., with some changes and additional info.

It was our first full Campaign game, I was playing the Finns, my opponent was the Soviets.

The Soviets brought all their tanks in early (at a very steep VP cost) and was bashing through my defensive positions, making slow but steady and unstoppable progress. It was now late in the game, the 2nd to last day, and it wasnt looking good for me. I had to act and act now. I sent a lone infantry company, 7/3/JR16, from off Kotisaari Island down to the Southern edge of the map, where they proceeded to avoid contact with the few Soviet Infantry companies protecting the backside of their offensive. My company had successfully made his way behind enemy lines with a clear path to the Soviet supply hex (if a Finnish unit moves onto the Supply hex and off the map, they are removed from the game but so are the good Soviet Artillery units. The weak artillery units are delayed and most of the Soviet's ammo is destroyed. Artillery is very, very important in Red Winter. In short, triggering this event is a huge game changer). The Soviets noticed this lone company, but did so too late to stop their advance. The Soviets quickly moved 2 Infantry companies onto the Supply hex in order to protect it.

This is where things got interesting. My Full Strength Finnish company was now adjacent to two Soviet companies at Full Strength. This was no even match. The Soviets could easily defend that hex for the rest of the game unless I made a desperation move. I decided to go for it. I assaulted the Soviet companies in the hex. I needed to roll a 12 otherwise it would end up badly (the CRT in Red Winter is brutal), and BAM! Rolled a 12. The Soviet artillery was destroyed. Not only this but pulling those 2 Soviet Infantry companies off the back end opened up a gap in the Soviet lines which I took advantage of, sending two infantry companies with an MG unit to retake the Kivisalmi Bridge, resulting in Soviet troops being taken off the front lines to fight the now Dug-In Finnish forces.

With the Soviet front lines weakened, I was able to put together some successful counterattacks and hold off the Soviet advance just long enough to cause the Soviet Morale Collapse. Once that happened, it was game over for the Soviets. There is no coming back from the Soviet Morale Collapse.

The destruction of the Soviet's artillery capabilities in combination with the retaking of the Bridge by the Finns resulted in a victory for me. That single die roll was the most important roll in the game, and it was a big gamble on my part that paid off huge. And none of that would have been possible without the heroics of the Finnish company 7/3/JR16.

I'll never forget that company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading your (very well written and evocative) post has made me DESPERATE to play this wonderful game again...

Huge kudos to you for risking that assault - from such bold moves are everlasting gaming memories made arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Its moments like these that make wargames so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaxFool
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome stuff!!! Must have been a very tense and exhilarating session. Need to get this out again.
Plus now I have the possibility of a FtF opponent.
I am getting excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR. Makes me want the west front game in the series, Operation Dauntless, completed even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Price of Knowledge is Despair
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly Simo Häyhä was in that company...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.