Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillermo Fernandez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I own a copy, but sometimes it is better to use the PC.

Do people have a preference for Sun-tzu or vassal for this specific module? I would be grateful to have some feedback from people that have tried the one or the other (or better, both ).

Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried both and they are both very usable.

Normally, (if I have a choice) I am a Vassal person, but for The Hunters, I prefer the ZunTzu game box. It's got all the charts laid out on the table with the UBoat mat and the combat layered on the background. This means that you can rearrange the charts as you want.

A couple things I prefer on the Vassal module is the instant dice (the ZunTzu dice animation takes too long) and the automatic logging of Vassal.

For both, I break out a spreadsheet to record my patrol logs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always the physical copy, always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:

Here, Here! I too have the board game set up! I like the feel and sound of the dice over a mouse click any-day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
maedhros wrote:

Here, Here! I too have the board game set up! I like the feel and sound of the dice over a mouse click any-day!

I'm with you guys. I know Vassal and Sun-Tzu have their fans. Understandable. Some folks don't always have a convenient space to spread out a game.
I've tried and just can't get into it. Part of the reason I dove back into physical gaming is that I spend enough of my life staring at one screen or another. Plus, nothing beats that tactile sensation of rolling dice, pushing counters and game pieces around, an actual rulebook AND...that "new" smell when opening that box for the first time
Makes me feel like a kid againlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
I like the feel and sound of the dice over a mouse click any-day!

Understandable, although, when playing solo and using my VASSAL copy, I sometimes use my real dice to solve dicerolls for exactly that reason... or rather mostly, because I am not as bad frustrated when I roll bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Fernandez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers.

Physical copy is better when available, but sometimes it is not practical - e.g. when you have kids and you want to profit from 15 minutes of free time but do not have the space to keep the game on the table, when on a boring hotel room in the middle of a work trip, etc.

It seems both are just as good, which makes the decision more difficult (and shows the good work done on the game!).

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
wasabi wrote:
Thanks for all the answers.

Physical copy is better when available, but sometimes it is not practical - e.g. when you have kids and you want to profit from 15 minutes of free time but do not have the space to keep the game on the table, when on a boring hotel room in the middle of a work trip, etc.

It seems both are just as good, which makes the decision more difficult (and shows the good work done on the game!).

Cheers.

Guillermo,

All very valid points and great reasons... as it takes 15 minutes to set up most games too.

...and YES that new game smell is GREAT!!!

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.