Subject: I'm happy I tried it before buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valdir Jorge
flag msg tools
Date: May 14th, 2006

Game: Tamsk

Players: Ray and Valdir (myself)

I have been thinking about buying Tamsk since its reprint was announced. However, the price tag scared me a little bit, so I wanted to try before I buy. Today, at the Concordia Games Club Convention I had the chance to play it for the first time.

But before I go into that, let me just say that having a gaming convention fall on Mother's Day is not a great idea. It's even worse if the weather is lousy with grey skies and light rain falling almost all the time.

I was supposed to run a game of La Strada at 10 am, I came early to set it up (I also set up Torres on another table in case someone wanted to play that instead) but there were absolutely no players. Some other GM's without players came in and started a game of Mall of Horrors. They even invited me but I declined saying that I would prefer to be free to entertain players who might arrive. In reality, horror and zombies are not exactly my favourite subject.

I sat there reading the card for Munchkin. I have played this game once in the past few months (see my report here: ) and although I didn't exactly like it, I have been wanting to read the text on the cards, just for the laughs.

I had gone through the entire deck and was putting the game aside when Ray arrived. He brought a few games that he wanted to play. Tamsk was one of them, so when he mentioned, I was happy to choose that one.

In this game each player has three sand timers and a bunch of plastic rings. During play you have to move any of your sand timers on a board. When you move a sand timer you have to flip it and put a ring on its destination. The outer ring of the board can only receive one ring, the next level can contain two rings, the inner level can receive three and there is one hole in the middle that can receive four rings.

After a destination space received its maximum number of rings, you can't go there anymore. This way the board gets smaller and smaller, ensuring that the game ends quite fast.

I didn't know what I was doing and Ray easily defeated me. In my second game I put some more thought into my moves and was more in control, but I can't say that my victory in this one was due to superior play. Ray painted himself into a corner and ran out of valid plays when I still had three moves to make.

Final Score
Ray and Valdir: one victory each

I'm glad I tried it out. I'm not going to buy the game. It's not a bad game at all, I liked it quite a bit, I just don't see myself playing it frequently enough to justify the price.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.