Subject: Ready for some tug-of-war in the Highlands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valdir Jorge
flag msg tools
Date: May 14th, 2006

Game: Heave Ho!

Players: Ray and Valdir (myself)

With the Mall of Horrors still going on the other table, Ray and I wanted to play some other two-player game. I proposed Heave Ho!, a nice little game of tug-of-war in the Scottish Highlands. We put away the Tamsk board and pieces and I explained the rules to him.

We scoured the rules twice before finding where it was written who was supposed to being play. It's in bold, yes, but it's a whole paragraph in bold, a paragraph that you easily skip because it also talks about the "deck-building" phase of the game, that I always skip because I don't like the "need for speed". The game is heavily dependent on luck anyway, so I don't see the point of building the deck.

Anyway, we chose him to be the first player, we put the barrel on his side and I started pulling. It was almost a no-contest. I just got all the right cards and before he knew it, the barrel was on my home spot.

Rinse, repeat; rinse, repeat. He tried a few things (Nessie, Rope breaks, etc), but all the time I had the right cards to counter his moves and won the other two barrels without much effort.

Final Score
Valdir 3 x 0 Ray

This is such a luck based game that I don't even know why I like it so much. I guess it's so silly and so fast that it really doesn't make a difference who wins and who loses.

By the way, the Mall of Horrors finished at the other table while we were playing. They said they liked the game. For me, it seemed a bit like "Survivor" (the reality show) with people being voted to be eaten by the zombies and all that. Oh well, I guess there are all kinds of tastes...
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.