Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek McCabe
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a 3-player game of Caverna last night, all of us having played a few times before. One of the players got the Guest Room and wanted to take the Ruby Mine Construction action space, which was great, but we ran into an issue. He had two deep tunnels and wanted to plop a ruby mine on both. I have the first print, but how I was interpreting the rules, tunnels and deep tunnels are two separate things, and the ruby mine construction space specifically shows putting a ruby mine in a regular tunnel OR putting a ruby mine on a deep tunnel and getting a ruby for it. We debated over it for a bit, and two of us decided he couldn't do that. I checked the files today for the game and it appears the appendix got a facelift and clarifies that there's a difference between the tunnels and deep tunnels. Is that correct? Or did I accidentally screw my buddy out of a super sweet move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand your question right, but I'll give it a try.
On the ruby mine construction space you are allowed to take ONE mine.
However, you are correct, you need to decide to do the first or the second action on that card, not both.

Edit: Ah, I see now he had the guest room. He could still only do one on a deep tunnel and one on a normal tunnel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
He could have taken the first action - placing a ruby mine on a deep tunnel and take a ruby - and then used the ruby to place a normal tunnel and then execute the second action - place a ruby mine on a normal tunnel! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question was addressed in this thread.

The consensus seemed to be that you could not build in two Deep Tunnels, but don't think that there was anything authoritative.

What was the facelift in the appendix? I know that the online version deals with relations between Spare Part Storage and Trader, but I don't remember anything new about Guest Room or Ruby-Mine Construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
This question was addressed in this thread.

The consensus seemed to be that you could not build in two Deep Tunnels, but don't think that there was anything authoritative.

What was the facelift in the appendix? I know that the online version deals with relations between Spare Part Storage and Trader, but I don't remember anything new about Guest Room or Ruby-Mine Construction.
The only "official confirmation" was that you and I answered similarly (i.e. you cannot build two deep mines), and that you got a thumb from Ponton and I got one from Hanno. A close look at the iconography on the action space would strongly support our position as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to confirm it explicitly: Deep tunnel != Tunnel

Guest Room + Ruby mine construction = Ruby mine on Tunnel and Ruby mine on Deep tunnel

Illegal with a single action: 2 Ruby mines on a Tunnel / 2 Ruby mines on a Deep tunnel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pensyl
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Serene and stately, the Aurochs are natural diplomats.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a similar question come up concerning the guest room and the ruby mine action.

In this situation, the player had the guest room and a deep tunnel on his player board. He wanted to first build the deep tunnel with a ruby mine, take the ruby and use it to buy a tunnel, then to place the second ruby mine.

Does the regular tunnel need to be built first and then the deep tunnel?
Or can they be built in any order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tompen wrote:
In this situation, the player had the guest room and a deep tunnel on his player board. He wanted to first build the deep tunnel with a ruby mine, take the ruby and use it to buy a tunnel, then to place the second ruby mine.

Does the regular tunnel need to be built first and then the deep tunnel?
Or can they be built in any order?

Ruby-mine construction gives EITHER you a ruby mine on an ordinary tunnel OR a ruby mine on a deep tunnel (getting a ruby).

The Guest Room lets you change "EITHER ... OR" to "AND/OR".

The Appendix says that you can do "and/or" actions in either order.

Page 18 of the rules says "When taking the “Ruby mine construction” action, you can spend 1 Ruby to get a single “Tunnel” tile before you place the Ruby mine on top of it."

So it seems pretty clear that you can do what you ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McCabe
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Did you work on the game or is that "game designer" badge mean you just designed a game?

Also, I want to thank everyone else for their replies as well! This is a great community!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLegoPirate wrote:
Thank you! Did you work on the game or is that "game designer" badge mean you just designed a game?

Grzegorz is the game editor on this game as well as the translator for the english edition.
No-one is more qualified to give official answers - not even Uwe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McCabe
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
TheLegoPirate wrote:

Grzegorz is the game editor on this game as well as the translator for the english edition.
No-one is more qualified to give official answers - not even Uwe.
Hah! That's awesome! Board gaming HAS to be the only hobby where you get attention from the actual designers and editors. I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.