mike frankum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have never played and RPG and I am new to games in general, I tried my first game last night and there was something I was unsure of.

I was a warrior type And my gf was a sorcerer. When she encountered an enemy and had to do a combat check, could I use a weapon card to add to her check? Or are weapons not included in cards that aid a check?

If I CAN would it still be allowed if she had played her power that she can discard a card and roll an arcane die in place of a strength die in combat?

Forgive me if i've made any stat mistakes, i'm sat on a bus trying to remember. Cheers in advanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can hand her a weapon and she could use that if she didn't have anything else available that could help her with the fight that turn. It is one of the early parts of your turn phase as long as you are both in the same location. You would have had to give her the weapon prior to that point though where it was needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike frankum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cheers for that. In that case, is there somewhere in the rules that shows which card types CAN be played in another persons check? I can only assume that thematically you cant use armour or weapons but anything else that is relevant to the check can be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mike,
You would be unable to play a weapon card to add to her check unless the card specifically states that you can. If you are playing the character Valeros, he does have a special power which can add 1D4 to a combat check at his location. So if you were in the same location as Seoni you could help her out that way. You also have the option of playing a Blessing card to add her check. If playing a Blessing, you could add a die (whichever type Seoni is using) to her check. So in the instance you mentioned Seoni could use her power to roll her Arcane die, and then you play a blessing to add an additional die, which would be D12.

Hope this helps. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike frankum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Lol you must be psychic....they were the exact 2 characters played. So basically its only blessings unless the card specifically states it can be played on anothers turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madprof666 wrote:
Lol you must be psychic....they were the exact 2 characters played. So basically its only blessings unless the card specifically states it can be played on anothers turn?

It's more the other way round: cards can help anyone unless they specifically restrict how they can be played. Really it's just a case of reading the card as an instruction to you, the person playing it.

If a card says "For your combat check, ..." you can only use it on YOUR combat check.

If a card says "Add a die to your check ..." you can only use it on YOUR check.

If a card says "Add a die to a check ..." you can use it on any check, at any location, on any turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike frankum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Perfect. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madprof666 wrote:
Cheers for that. In that case, is there somewhere in the rules that shows which card types CAN be played in another persons check? I can only assume that thematically you cant use armour or weapons but anything else that is relevant to the check can be?

You need to be aware of the extensive FAQ/Errata, Mike. You can find it here: http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
If a card says "For your combat check, ..." you can only use it on YOUR combat check.

If a card says "Add a die to your check ..." you can only use it on YOUR check.

If a card says "Add a die to a check ..." you can use it on any check, at any location, on any turn.

No offense to the OP, because I made this exact same mistake, but this should be in a sidebar in a revised rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike frankum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
And again, thank you. Wonderful community here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike frankum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I just noticed...you said any location...you dont have to be at the same location to give someone blessing of the gods??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madprof666 wrote:
I just noticed...you said any location...you dont have to be at the same location to give someone blessing of the gods??

Yup, no need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Heishiro1976 wrote:
madprof666 wrote:

Yup, no need.

Clarification here. You don't need to be in the same location to play Blessing of the Gods on their check. You would need to be in the same location to GIVE someone a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And to point out. You can only give a card to someone on YOUR turn BEFORE you move or explore. So, you can't give Seoni anything on her turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coopasonic wrote:
Heishiro1976 wrote:
madprof666 wrote:

Yup, no need.

Clarification here. You don't need to be in the same location to play Blessing of the Gods on their check. You would need to be in the same location to GIVE someone a card.

Pathfinder is not a game it is an advanced English lesson in disguise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.