Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Got the game, got the Scoundrels expansion. Both great. Play it weekly. Is Scoundrels the end of the line, or might there be new expansions?
Not quite sure what direction any future expansions should take the game, but as long as the basic agent-placing and resource (well, adventurers then)accumulation and expenditure doesn't change...

2. Can someone let me know if there are any similar games in terms of the mechanics (choosing where to place your "influence", gaining resources and spending them?

3. Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heaps of games around that use Worker Placement mechanics.

Some in my collection that are roughly on the same complexity as Lords of Waterdeep:
Belfort - with area control for scoring
The Manhattan Project
Dominant Species - with area control for scoring
Alien Frontiers - using dice to limit how 'workers' can be placed
Kingsburg - using dice again to limit 'worker' placement

EDIT: Also to make the game look more interesting you could try getting some Lords of Waterdeep: Character Meeples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo is a more complex Lords of Waterdeep but is also a little different. There's a lot more "take that" and randomness. The "take that" comes from action cards you can play except you can play them almost whenever you want (some indicate a specific phase of the turn, but none require a special placement like Waterdeep Harbor). This can lead to some cutthroat games. The randomness is heightened by an event deck that can be pretty brutal including losing a worker for a full turn. This happened to me and it crushed my game with four turns left. I was on pace to complete two of the hardest level missions and one of the second hardest levels and losing a worker lost me the game completely.

Its definitely deeper with some different mechanics (auctions for example) but can be very fun if you don't mind getting screwed pretty hard from the randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Village for Christmas. Great worker placement with many different strategy options for victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T B
Denmark
Jyllinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would recommend Euphoria or maybe Fresko....both are great worker placement games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blimey! They were all quick responses! Thanks! Will investigate all the games mentioned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with what I thought was a cool idea for a class expansion...

Probably sucks, lol, but I thought I'd share.

A small expansion would include cubes (unfortunately...but, I suppose most people don't have those awesome DnDeeples...)of a couple of colors:

Green = Ranger

Pink = Bard

Brown = Monk

Red = Barbarian

There could be more, obviously, but these are what I've come up with.

None of these 'Prestige Classes' are available for the white "?" option. They are only earned, "leveled up", as below.

The expansion would also include cards applicable to whichever classes were included.
Also, a couple of buildings that utilized the new class.

A permanent building, available in every game, would allow a player's agent to "train up" classes from his tavern.

Example:

The Bard's College would allow you to trade in an orange Fighter + a purple Wizard + a black Rogue for a Pink Bard.

The Bard would be worth 5XP at games end, if he didn't quest.

Quests, if they show up in your game, will have nice rewards when the Bard is part of it (the card will dictate VP, bonuses, etc, just like original quest cards)

A Green Ranger is gained by sending in an Orange Fighter and a White Cleric maybe...

A Brown Monk is gained by a Black Rogue and an Orange Fighter

Barbarian by 3 Fighters or something...

Just some ideas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Blimey! They were all quick responses! Thanks! Will investigate all the games mentioned!

Fresco Big Box is currently on Kickstarter, if that interests you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want an expansion based on the city of Sigil from Planescape : Torment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it was already mentioned, but I would also recommend Kingsburg. It's about the same level of complexity as Lords of Waterdeep. But you place dice instead of workers, and you place them based on the pips on the dice. One of my favorites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngwilliam wrote:
I know it was already mentioned, but I would also recommend Kingsburg. It's about the same level of complexity as Lords of Waterdeep. But you place dice instead of workers, and you place them based on the pips on the dice. One of my favorites!

I also really enjoy Kingsburg but it has one glaring fault - lack of an ending "flourish". LoW reveals your Lord and scores change significantly. Far too often Kingsburg ends and the person who was in the lead just wins. I'm okay with this when it happens on occasion (or if it was still a surprise) but not when its obvious and there's little you can do to change it. Its happens in 90% of our Kingsburg games. I'd love to see even a mini expansion that adds some element of surprise to the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

I also really enjoy Kingsburg but it has one glaring fault - lack of an ending "flourish". LoW reveals your Lord and scores change significantly. Far too often Kingsburg ends and the person who was in the lead just wins. I'm okay with this when it happens on occasion (or if it was still a surprise) but not when its obvious and there's little you can do to change it. Its happens in 90% of our Kingsburg games. I'd love to see even a mini expansion that adds some element of surprise to the end of the game.

You play it with the expansion right? Kingsburg gains a lot with the expansion modules.

In Lords of Waterdeep, the flourish does change the scores by a lot but usually we end up knowing what each other player has as a Lord after they've picked enough quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Cesspit wrote:
Heaps of games around that use Worker Placement mechanics.

Some in my collection that are roughly on the same complexity as Lords of Waterdeep:

Dominant Species - with area control for scoring

Seriously, you'd rate LoW and Dominant Species to be on the same complexity level??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

You play it with the expansion right? Kingsburg gains a lot with the expansion modules.

In Lords of Waterdeep, the flourish does change the scores by a lot but usually we end up knowing what each other player has as a Lord after they've picked enough quests.

Yup but it still doesn't do enough to make the end reveal fun. I don't so much mind the person in the lead winning as much as knowing its inevitable going into the fifth or, even worse, fourth year. At least with LoW you can hold onto hope that you've been completing the right quests and can just barely leapfrog someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Noreen. Yep I too have Kingsburg plus the expansions. It's a fave with my sons and "serious" gaming chums. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Y.
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. I really hope not. Too many cards will just water down the lords and require more setup time for 3 of the lords to be effective. (The corruption lord, skullport lord, undermountain lord). The only expansion I'm looking forward to is a few more undermountain and skullport buildings and cards, to reduce the setup time in the game, which requires you to remove 12 building, 20 quest and intrigue cards for balance.

2. If you are relatively new to board games and haven't played games with the other mechanics, I recommend you play those other mechanics first. What may end up happening is that you will never play waterdeep again because the other game is better, or you will feel like you wasted money on the new purchase if lords of waterdeep is the better experience. Good luck on your next purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been absolutely no news on another expansion for Lords of Waterdeep at this stage. From all accounts both the original and expansion sold exceptionally well, so hopefully we do see another one in the future.

I guess the concern with another expansion is it'll add too much to the base game, although I could see them releasing it in a format where you choose what expansions you use each game (Skullport is sort of setup that way already).

I liked Kalidor's suggestion above where you have some sort of level up system.

Fingers crossed...

PS> Other posters have already mentioned some other great area control games above, I don't have anything additional to add to those already mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desmi wrote:
The only expansion I'm looking forward to is a few more undermountain and skullport buildings and cards, to reduce the setup time in the game, which requires you to remove 12 building, 20 quest and intrigue cards for balance.

Just pre-select what you want to take out. It vastly improves the balance over taking out random buildings and cards (what if you took out five buildings that dish out warriors and priests - warfare and piety would get hosed; what if you took out five arcana quests - any lord requiring arcana for bonus points would get hosed). Making a pre-set stack of buildings, intrigues and quests has really improved both setup and time and play enjoyment. For mine, I took out everything that let you remove corruption from the game. I feel like being able to return it is okay but just outright getting rid of it is very, very powerful and makes it mean less. When it must be returned, people in my group are more inclined to use it knowing someone isn't going to "Release the Hounds" and suddenly bump the value significantly on whim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For mine, I took out everything that let you remove corruption from the game. I feel like being able to return it is okay but just outright getting rid of it is very, very powerful and makes it mean less. When it must be returned, people in my group are more inclined to use it knowing someone isn't going to "Release the Hounds" and suddenly bump the value significantly on whim.

With the exception of how it affects the Xanthar player, doesn't being able to remove corruption from the game make it mean MORE, in the sense that corruption is an inherently risky resource?

I believe the strongest "eliminate corruption" play is to eliminate 3 from the game in one move. That's a bump of -1/corruption, which hardly reminds me of fiendish canines.

Also, if all you can do is return it to the track, you're elevating the value of the "return corruption to the track" quests even higher than it already seems to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Y.
msg tools
mbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

Just pre-select what you want to take out. It vastly improves the balance over taking out random buildings and cards (what if you took out five buildings that dish out warriors and priests - warfare and piety would get hosed

How I currently play is that I remove the cards for the first game, and play the second and third with the same decks and buildings. There are too many cards to affect the balance if a couple cards are removed from the base set, in extremely low odds of removing everything the same type. Even if everything you removed was a warrior and priest, the new expansions have warriors and priest, you just have to adjust your strategy.

I also would not remove any of the skullport cards. It really impacts the skullport lord and the beholder lord, and devalues corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desmi wrote:
There are too many cards to affect the balance if a couple cards are removed, in extremely low odds of removing everything the same type.

desmi wrote:
I also would not remove any of the skullport cards. It really impacts the skullport lord.

How are these two not contrary statements? Would the second not also apply to the Undermountain Lord?

There may be a lot of cards but the way randmization works there's a chance that, at some point, someone is going to get screwed. It may not be every game or every third game but over enough plays, its going to happen. You can void that entirely by pre-selecting what you take out and then you never have to deal with carrying around the extra cards and buildings you're never going to use. After 10 or so plays, I change up the cards just to keep it interesting.

But a balance should be the goal, especially if play it as frequently as my group does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Y.
msg tools
mbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

How are these two not contrary statements?

My apologies, I was referring to removing it from the base game. I corrected it just a couple seconds ago.

As for the skullport lord, it's impact is that the only way to score points is to take massive amounts of corruption, which leaves that lord dead in its tracks if you cannot remove corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
With the exception of how it affects the Xanthar player, doesn't being able to remove corruption from the game make it mean MORE, in the sense that corruption is an inherently risky resource?

It makes it less risky. If you opt to take corruption early to complete big quests and then someone comes in and plays back to back cards that remove corruption, you've just been dumped on pretty heavily. A lot of our games lately have featured players winning who never take corruption because those who do get hosed by said intrigue card. I'd rather see corruption used and monitored like any negative resource. People aren't taking it in our games because they are scared of what will happen if they do.

Quote:
I believe the strongest "eliminate corruption" play is to eliminate 3 from the game in one move. That's a bump of -1/corruption, which hardly reminds me of fiendish canines.

Indeed, its called "Release the Hounds".

alexdrazen wrote:
Also, if all you can do is return it to the track, you're elevating the value of the "return corruption to the track" quests even higher than it already seems to be.

The value of this is already pretty strong, I don't see this being an issue. They are already the first buildings bought and the first quests grabbed every time they come out, so not much is going to change in that sense. My hope is that people will be more willing to make use of corruption more freely, knowing that its negative worth isn't going to skyrocket over the course of the game. It gives players more control over their game which, in a worker placement/euro style game, is a good thing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desmi wrote:

As for the skullport lord, it's impact is that the only way to score points is to take massive amounts of corruption, which leaves that lord dead in its tracks if you cannot remove corruption.

Oh you mean the corruption one. The Skullport Lord I was referring to is the one who earns points for Skullport buildings and completed quests. The corruption lord doesn't want massive amounts of corruption. Beyond a certain point, he's still losing VP. He gets Xvp for each point of corruption. Let's say its 3 because I can't remember and the exact number doesn't matter for this discussion. If corruption is worth -3, he's breaking even. But if corruption is worth -4 or more, he's STILL losing VP. Removing corruption from the game actually hurts him because it still takes points from him. If anything, this might make him more valuable (which is fine because I have yet to see him win a game).

As to his strategy, he can't just pursue vast amounts of corruption. His game is one that he can feel free to take corruption more readily and therefore complete bigger quests all the time. His VP for corruption is merely a way to mitigate what he takes. He should be completing the larger point quests in the same time frame that another lord completes the smaller quests because he can do it by taking corruption all the time and not suffer the same penalty as others. That's how he balances against the other lords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My hope is that people will be more willing to make use of corruption more freely, knowing that its negative worth isn't going to skyrocket over the course of the game

And you're making corruption much less risky by doing so, thus removing a large part of the strategy from one of the expansions.

I've played, we all take corruption, and other than a couple fools who left 7 of them in their tavern, we usually return all, or all but one or two, to the track. The penalty has never been an issue, but you do have to manage your corruption.

If corruption doesn't present a potential large penalty, it ceases to be interesting, and since corruption spaces give so much more than regular ones, I'd posit it throws off the balance as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.