Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for something really different to try, this is a pretty fun deck with only 1 ally Master of Forge x3 and the rest is attachments and events. This started off as a deck trying to make Keeping Count attachment work, and it will in this deck if you want to try it out, but I have currently been using it as a Proxy for the VoI event Deep Knowledge which raises your threat to draw 2 cards. If you never used Keeping Count or thought it was useless try this deck out and you will see it has some value but not really necessary, since the deck has plenty of attack power as you will see in the strategy section below.

Test runs on Into Ithilien, Seventh level and a few other scenarios went smooth.
If you are interested in reading the deck's evolution you can check out this thread, especially if the deck isn't not working out for you. I had Gandalf OHaUH instead of Resouresful so you might want to try that out too.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/968...

Hero (3)
Boromir (TDM) x1
Aragorn (TWitW) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1

Ally (3)
Master of the Forge (SaF) x3

Attachment (29)
Gondorian Fire (AoO) x2
Gondorian Shield (TSF) x3
Keeping Count (TRG) x3 i am playing this as Deep Knowledge event from VoI, can play as is too.
Expert Treasure Hunter (OtD) x3
Blood of Numenor (HON) x2
Light of Valinor (FoS) x3
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Asfaloth (FoS) x1
Protector of Lorien (Core) x1
Song of Wisdom (CatC) x2
Healing Herbs (FoS) x2
Resourceful (TWitW) x3
Song of Travel (THoEM) x2

Event (18)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Gondorian Discipline (EaAD) x3
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Lay of Nimrodel (TMV) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x3

Strategy:
All copies of Resourceful, Blood of Numenor, and Gondorian fire get attached to Boromir. In addition he will get Song of Wisdom and Burning Brand, and Song of Travel. He will also get Gondorian Shield, Might Prowess, and PoL. That's 15 attachments! I just finished II and this is what he had in the end, so it is possible. Song of Travel is for using Boromir and his mountain of resources with Lay of Nimrodel for will power based quests which is quite impressive.

Enough said, if it gets all set up it can get out of hand, and is probably broken having multiple copies of BoN and GoF in this situation, because the boost from BoN gave Boromir an extra 61 Def on a Siege quest to win II on the last round! From now on I am going to play it as limit one per character, because in one game he had 19 resources in his pool, and I triggered each copy of BoN. So, I remove one resource and he has 18, another resource for 17, and another resource for 16. total it up and that's 61.
And if he needed to attack in the same round he would be at 58 with 3 copies of GoF in the same round.

By no means is this combo going to crush everything, because it takes a lot of set up time.

The 3 Dwarven Tomb are to recycle Elrond's Counsel.

If you only have one core set and every thing else, replace 2 Dwarven Tomb with 2 Galadhrim's Greeting. The 1 test of will can be replaced with your choice of any card that has only 2 or 1 copies in the deck.

Of course any questions, comments, suggestions, and general feedback is always welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tracker1 wrote:
If you are looking for something really different to try, this is a pretty fun deck with only 1 ally Master of Forge x3 and the rest is attachments and events. This started off as a deck trying to make Keeping Count attachment work, and it will in this deck if you want to try it out, but I have currently been using it as a Proxy for the VoI event Deep Knowledge which raises your threat to draw 2 cards. If you never used Keeping Count or thought it was useless try this deck out and you will see it has some value but not really necessary, since the deck has plenty of attack power as you will see in the strategy section below.

Test runs on Into Ithilien, Seventh level and a few other scenarios went smooth.
If you are interested in reading the deck's evolution you can check out this thread, especially if the deck isn't not working out for you. I had Gandalf OHaUH instead of Resouresful so you might want to try that out too.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/968...

Hero (3)
Boromir (TDM) x1
Aragorn (TWitW) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1

Ally (3)
Master of the Forge (SaF) x3

Attachment (29)
Gondorian Fire (AoO) x3
Gondorian Shield (TSF) x3
Keeping Count (TRG) x3 i am playing this as Deep Knowledge event from VoI, can play as is too.
Mighty Prowess (TDF) x1
Blood of Numenor (HON) x3
Light of Valinor (FoS) x3
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Asfaloth (FoS) x1
Protector of Lorien (Core) x1
Song of Wisdom (CatC) x2
Healing Herbs (FoS) x2
Resourceful (TWitW) x3
Song of Travel (THoEM) x2

Event (18)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Gondorian Discipline (EaAD) x3
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Lay of Nimrodel (TMV) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x3

Strategy:
All copies of Resourceful, Blood of Numenor, and Gondorian fire get attached to Boromir. In addition he will get Song of Wisdom and Burning Brand, and Song of Travel. He will also get Gondorian Shield, Might Prowess, and PoL. That's 15 attachments! I just finished II and this is what he had in the end, so it is possible. Song of Travel is for using Boromir and his mountain of resources with Lay of Nimrodel for will power based quests which is quite impressive.

Enough said, if it gets all set up it can get out of hand, and is probably broken having multiple copies of BoN and GoF in this situation, because the boost from BoN gave Boromir an extra 61 Def on a Siege quest to win II on the last round! From now on I am going to play it as limit one per character, because in one game he had 19 resources in his pool, and I triggered each copy of BoN. So, I remove one resource and he has 18, another resource for 17, and another resource for 16. total it up and that's 61.
And if he needed to attack in the same round he would be at 58 with 3 copies of GoF in the same round.

By no means is this combo going to crush everything, because it takes a lot of set up time.

The 3 Dwarven Tomb are to recycle Elrond's Counsel.

If you only have one core set and every thing else, replace 2 Dwarven Tomb with 2 Galadhrim's Greeting. The 1 test of will can be replaced with your choice of any card that has only 2 or 1 copies in the deck.

Of course any questions, comments, suggestions, and general feedback is always welcome.

Will be trying this now, I love the idea, havent used GF to great use yet. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see an artifact deck, especially one that is trying to make use of Keeping Count. I used it before with a house rule that drawing one allowed you to tutor another copy from the deck for free, which is how it should have been in the first place IMO since it's more of a thematic card anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just played twice against Into Ithilien. First time game over on round 1 with Morgul Spider when I wasnt nearly ready for him. Second time won after coming within 1 threat of game over(all 3x of Elrond's counsel were buried). Fun deck, its a bit hard remembering everything Boromir can do haha. Great work as always!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your decks, Tracker, and this one is no exception!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurries wrote:
Just played twice against Into Ithilien. First time game over on round 1 with Morgul Spider when I wasnt nearly ready for him. Second time won after coming within 1 threat of game over(all 3x of Elrond's counsel were buried). Fun deck, its a bit hard remembering everything Boromir can do haha. Great work as always!

Cool thanks for trying it. Into Ithilien can always be deadly within the first few round for just about any deck. Good to see you did get a victory all of mine have been down to the wire like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Happy to hear you like checking them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know how you continue to do this. I am very jealous. Keep up the great work.

And thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a small session report.

I just tried this deck on The Siege of Cair Andros. This is a really tough one for this deck and I lost the first two times. But won the third game. I never got the Master of the forge in the game so the deck was just moving really slow, but I got the cards I needed. The Banks and the Approach got destroyed, but I managed to stall out on the citadel and actually managed to save it, in the meantime Boromir was defending Mumak and any other enemies. He never got Burning Brand the whole game, so when there was a chain of shadow cards Mumak's attack went up to like 12. Luckily Blood of Numenor had about with 12 resources on it and he had a Gondorian shield. Once I got past the first stage each other stage took one single quest phase. Boromir had song of Travel and Lay of Nimrodel. His 18 resources easily cleared the Wp based second stage. Gondorian fire took care of the Battle quest 3 stage. Woops, i just remembered I saved the citadel, oh well, i did stage 4 too with Blood of Numenor on the Siege quest, and the last siege quest stage 5 was the same. Boromir pretty much saved Cair andros by himself, well Glorfindel did have LoV to help a smidge. It was still close 11 rounds and 48 threat. Amazingly Boromir never took any damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very cool deck concept! Seems like a perfect fit for Expert Treasure-Hunter too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tracker1 wrote:

I just tried this deck on The Siege of Cair Andros. This is a really tough one for this deck and I lost the first two times. But won the third game. I never got the Master of the forge in the game so the deck was just moving really slow, but I got the cards I needed. The Banks and the Approach got destroyed, but I managed to stall out on the citadel and actually managed to save it, in the meantime Boromir was defending Mumak and any other enemies. He never got Burning Brand the whole game, so when there was a chain of shadow cards Mumak's attack went up to like 12. Luckily Blood of Numenor had about with 12 resources on it and he had a Gondorian shield. Once I got past the first stage each other stage took one single quest phase. Boromir had song of Travel and Lay of Nimrodel. His 18 resources easily cleared the Wp based second stage. Gondorian fire took care of the Battle quest 3 stage. Woops, i just remembered I saved the citadel, oh well, i did stage 4 too with Blood of Numenor on the Siege quest, and the last siege quest stage 5 was the same. Boromir pretty much saved Cair andros by himself, well Glorfindel did have LoV to help a smidge. It was still close 11 rounds and 48 threat. Amazingly Boromir never took any damage.

Was just able to beat Peril in Pelargir 2/3 times. ime I lost was due to threat and not enough willpower(no Lay of Nimrodel around at the time). Other times were close victories, threat was around 44-45. Cool concept because certainly no auto-wins, and even when Boromir is stacked up Threat can become a big issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurries wrote:
Tracker1 wrote:

Was just able to beat Peril in Pelargir 2/3 times. ime I lost was due to threat and not enough willpower(no Lay of Nimrodel around at the time). Other times were close victories, threat was around 44-45. Cool concept because certainly no auto-wins, and even when Boromir is stacked up Threat can become a big issue.

Yes, every victory seems like a real battle to the end. All you really have is your three heroes, since the only thing the ally does is look for Attachments. It's a good challenge. Hope your enjoying it.

If you go for Siege of Cair Andros, just realize you are probably going to wind up losing the first 2 locations at the very least. It is very, very tough to make it over the hump towards the chance of a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you pay full price for Resourceful? I've run a very similar deck that instead uses Steward of Gondor, which I get into play with A Good Harvest or a Song of Kings. Do you find the extra cost for Resourceful is easier to overcome than having to have a two card combo to play Steward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Do you pay full price for Resourceful? I've run a very similar deck that instead uses Steward of Gondor, which I get into play with A Good Harvest or a Song of Kings. Do you find the extra cost for Resourceful is easier to overcome than having to have a two card combo to play Steward?

Yes, I have to pay 4 for resouresful, threat never gets low enough to play it for 1 which would be awesome. Your 2 card combo might work well too, SoG is way more effiecent. How many copies of SoF do you run? 2 at least. Nice thing about Resoureceful is once it's in hand i can usualy play, it but id does leave me a bit resource starced for the round for the first copy. Although not many resources are being spent on heroes, so they tend to pile up, for paying the 4 cost. What's cards are you using and how many of each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xanalor wrote:
Very cool deck concept! Seems like a perfect fit for Expert Treasure-Hunter too...

You are absolutely right, I completely over looked that card. I think I am going to go without allies at all and drop Master of the Forge for this.
I am really looking forward to trying it. Probably going to call attachment each time. Until I have the attachments I need in place, and then I'll try and fetch some key events. If I wind up tearing through the deck to fast it might be worthwhile including Will of the West to shuffle back the events that were lost and then start calling event.

Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracker1 wrote:
Yes, I have to pay 4 for resouresful, threat never gets low enough to play it for 1 which would be awesome. Your 2 card combo might work well too, SoG is way more effiecent. How many copies of SoF do you run? 2 at least. Nice thing about Resoureceful is once it's in hand i can usualy play, it but id does leave me a bit resource starced for the round for the first copy. Although not many resources are being spent on heroes, so they tend to pile up, for paying the 4 cost. What's cards are you using and how many of each

I run 3 Stewards, 3 A Good Harvest, and 1 Song of Kings (plus a Sword that was Broken, but since it's Leadership itself, it doesn't really help you get Steward out). The extra Stewards can be ditched to Daeron's Runes or Protector of Lorien. I'm usually able to get the Steward into hand with some way to play it in most games, and even if I'm not, there's lots of other stat boosters in the deck that can be played cheaply to buy time until I get the pieces I need.

I can see advantages and drawbacks to running either resource engine. Getting a Steward and one of four other cards might be a little bit easier than getting two copies of Resourceful, but Steward by itself is a dead card while a single Resourceful can be played on its own. The Steward setup takes up a few more card slots in the deck, but is cheaper to play resource-wise than Resourceful. You can have three Resourcefuls in play vs. only one Steward, but they cost a lot more and generally two additional resources per turn is plenty.

In the end, it probably just comes down to personal preference which direction to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracker1 wrote:
xanalor wrote:

You are absolutely right, I completely over looked that card. I think I am going to go without allies at all and drop Master of the Forge for this.
I am really looking forward to trying it. Probably going to call attachment each time. Until I have the attachments I need in place, and then I'll try and fetch some key events. If I wind up tearing through the deck to fast it might be worthwhile including Will of the West to shuffle back the events that were lost and then start calling event.

Thanks for the tip!

Okay, I tried this out, removing Master of the Forge for Expert treasure hunter. So, no allies in the deck, against 7th level, and won in 19 rounds. Painfully slow, since it took awhile to get Expert treasure hunter, and then it did not do anything when i failed to quest sucessfully. Might be good in conjunction with MotF. Especially when all attachments have been liquidated from the deck. But by itself it is meh, but it is still pretty cool to win a quest with no allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Tracker1 wrote:

I run 3 Stewards, 3 A Good Harvest, and 1 Song of Kings (plus a Sword that was Broken, but since it's Leadership itself, it doesn't really help you get Steward out). The extra Stewards can be ditched to Daeron's Runes or Protector of Lorien. I'm usually able to get the Steward into hand with some way to play it in most games, and even if I'm not, there's lots of other stat boosters in the deck that can be played cheaply to buy time until I get the pieces I need.

I can see advantages and drawbacks to running either resource engine. Getting a Steward and one of four other cards might be a little bit easier than getting two copies of Resourceful, but Steward by itself is a dead card while a single Resourceful can be played on its own. The Steward setup takes up a few more card slots in the deck, but is cheaper to play resource-wise than Resourceful. You can have three Resourcefuls in play vs. only one Steward, but they cost a lot more and generally two additional resources per turn is plenty.

In the end, it probably just comes down to personal preference which direction to take.

I tried adding Steward and TStwB and song of kings in the deck and removed resourceful and a few other cards. To fit it. I did get SoG on Boromir after a few rounds. For some reason it did not seem like his resources pilled up as much, as with the Resourceful. Paying for The sword ans U also put in a copy of Celebrian's stone set him back. He ended the tame with about 6 resources. I just finished a game with 3 resourceful and he has 16. But the extra willpower was really nice with the leadership cards, but Boromir's resources seemed a little thin throughout the game especially at key times. Of course that could have just been that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three ally cards? This looks awesome, and I'll give it a go! Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last major tweak I made was to include Expert Treasure Hunter x3.
It was suggested by user Xanlaor, and it is a good addition.

It really helps with some card draw. I like to use it mid-late game after I have got a copy of Master of the Forge in play and a number of my key attachments. Then I will start to call event to thin the deck and get the key events needed for threat reduction and Lay of Nimrodel for questing.

I removed 1 of Blood of Numenor, Gondorian Fire, and Might Prowess, which half the time I completely forget is attached to take advantage of the ability. It has only been useful for a scenario where I can not engage an enemy in the staging Area like Goblin Sniper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really admire your deck building ideas, Tracker1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tracker1 wrote:
AdmiralACF wrote:

I got a super lucky draw with 2 Elrond's counsels, a dwarven tomb, and resourceful. First turn -9 threat(19), Secrecy, Resourceful for 1 first turn! Now clearly I suffered a bit since my hand didnt start with any great attachments, but managed to squeak out a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Resourceful is outright terrible in this deck, and more so if you base your strategy upon it. Sorry to sound harsh but I feel like someone should say that. You pay 4 resources for the card, and you can only afford it on round 2. So, than the card begins paying off on round 7. Well, that is surely not worth it to include three copies of a card which makes 1 resource in seven rounds (the second and third copy would pay off even later).

Such a deck can be fun still but it is certainly better with Steward of Gondor or Théodred instead of Glorfindel.

ps: Even Love of Tales would be much better than Resourceful in this deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Resourceful is outright terrible in this deck, and more so if you base your strategy upon it. Sorry to sound harsh but I feel like someone should say that. You pay 4 resources for the card, and you can only afford it on round 2. So, than the card begins paying off on round 7. Well, that is surely not worth it to include three copies of a card which makes 1 resource in seven rounds (the second and third copy would pay off even later).

Such a deck can be fun still but it is certainly better with Steward of Gondor or Théodred instead of Glorfindel.

Resourceful doesnt work in the early game, but in mid/late I've had 3 copies on Boromir and it makes it almost silly with the rest of the attachments on him. Theodred could work, but then you are losing Spirit for cancelling/lowering threat/boosting Willpower when not on Battle/Siege. Love of Tales is a good idea instead of Mighty Prowess, havent used that much in this deck. Glorfy a much better bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:

I appreciate your honesty. But i would not say it's an absolutely terrible choice, since the deck has defeated Into Ithilien and Siege of Cair Andros. If it was a terrible choice I doubt it would have had success on those very difficult scenarios. But it is the only choice unless I get access to leadership.

Look, this deck has 41 cards in it that cost 0-1 cost. So, paying 4 resources second round or third round is no big deal, since resources are not being used for much of anything else.

Sure, SoG can work and might be a better choice, but I found the set up in this deck with no leadership hero a bit clunky. Bringing in a leadership hero like Theodred would mean losing easy access to the many spirit cards that Spuries mentioned, and Boromir would have to quest each round to Get a resource from theodred, so that would mean more threat increase when he has to ready to defend.

Did you try the deck and found that the card did not work for you, or are you just looking at it purely intellectually without experiencing it?

What wound your deck build be to get a similar effect on Boromir, if you only had one ally? I'd also be happy to see the deck if you need more allies to make it work since if you go leadership route errand rider could be useful.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Love of Tales better then Resourecful? Only two song cards get played the whole game. So that's just two resources, I can play the other 2 copies for another 2 resources if I get them in hand, but I am not sure how that can compare to the 18 or so resources that are sitting in Boromir's pool at the end of the game? Am i missing something about how that card works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.