Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Riley
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that Clue was one of my favorite games growing up. I loved the mystery, I loved the hunting down the clues, I loved the characters, I loved everything about it. In fact, we played it so much the two halves of the boards eventually separated and the clue envelope hade worn to a cottony feel.

Having this game mean so much to me, when I saw it on the stores shelf during Christmas shopping I knew I had to pick it up and introduce my kids to it.

My daughters (ages 9 and 10) and my son (5) were pretty skeptical when we opened it for the first time. The first game was a bit confusing to them as they figured out the game play, and there were some evil eyes when Dad got to open the envelope and won the round. I wasn't sure they were totally into it. But as soon as the game was complete and they knew it, they were ready for another round. We ended up playing two more games in the mansion and one on the boardwalk (the 2013 edition). They loved it and said they can't wait for the next game night.

With all the new games out I am loving that the kids are taking in the classics as well. We already love Monopoly, Sorry, and now Clue. I know there are other classics that I'm brain cramping on that I need to show them. Has anyone else had this much fun showing the little ones the old school games? Any games you'd recommend I toss their way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Every now and then one of the gaming group hosts will have a retro night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find an older version of Careers (say, pre-1970), I would highly recommend that. The game was way ahead of its time, with lots of very clever ideas. Kids usually love going through the different careers, although there may be some anachronisms in the earlier games that might require Dad to explain them! The newer versions are pretty dumb-downed, but still acceptable if that's all you can find. We played this a lot when I was growing up and it's the only one of the classic American games that I'd play today.

Other standard games of yesteryear include Risk, Stratego, and Scrabble. With Risk, you could play the original with them or substitute one of the many updated versions, which most people think have superior game play. If you don't mind destroying parts of your game, you might even want to check out Risk Legacy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check the Variants section on Clue's BGG listing, you'll find ideas on how to speed the game up, and avoid turns where all you do is walk down a hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Cluedo Jr as well, although your kiddies might be a little too old for it.

Edit:
And to answer your actual question - how about Hotel Tycoon and Risk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When my boys were little, they had trouble with the reasoning and deduction part of Clue. We haven't tried it since unfortunately.

They are 8 and 10 now currently play Castle Panic, Star Wars Labyrinth, The Amazing Spider-Man Labyrinth, Takenoko, Villa Paletti, Say Anything Family Edition, Wits & Wagers Party, Sorry! Sliders, Smash Up,My First Carcassonne, and Hive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limiting this to just the classics, there aren't too many that are high up on my "must play" list for that age. There are probably better deduction games out there, though Clue can be somewhat fun. I remember being frustrated if I was moved to a room against my will or when I was close to my destination. I remember Careers being interesting so +1 there. I had (have?) a copy of Scotland Yard, though I could never get into that myself.

We enjoyed Yahtzee, Farkle (or some variant of it), Clue to an extent, Boggle as long as my sister wasn't playing, and had a handful of games that you could find in Toys R Us way back when.

Pit can be fun in a group. Uno would probably be right up their alley. If they like Sorry, they'd probably like Trouble as well. It might help to know why they enjoy the games. Is it because you play with them? In that case, almost anything will work. Is it something about rolling and moving? Deduction? Other?

Definitely harder concentrating only on "classic" games, but mostly because there are a lot of games now that are more interesting in many ways or offer more choice/interaction than those games do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
sturner wrote:

or the improved sequel Mister X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Scotland Yard... that could be a lot of fun, the kids could chase Dad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
If you can find an older version of Careers

What's wrong with the newer versions?

I'm sure my copy is from the mid-90's, is it tragically flawed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game of Life is an old classic I grew up and had fun with the kids with...not as in "a great time and a blast"...but as in "this is a fun family bonding time that everyone can get into and I can relive some nostalgia days doing the same when I was a kid with my parents and sister" fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always left out but a real old exhilerating classic Rod Hockey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
If you can find an older version of Careers

What's wrong with the newer versions?

I'm sure my copy is from the mid-90's, is it tragically flawed?

Some versions have fewer occupations and a smaller board. Some don't include degrees from graduating college that make taking certain occupations cheaper. There's also a certain PC aspect to the newer occupations that's kind of humorous, but that's not a big thing.

So no, not tragically flawed; I'm sure it's still a good family game. But if you have the chance to pick up an older version of the game for a reasonable price, you might want to take the plunge and see if you like the original version better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also try Clue: The Card Game. The thing that often frustrates people when playing Clue is the movement around the board. If your piece is a suspect, it gets moved around and there's nothing you can do about it. The card game eliminates this problem, and plays very well.

My copy of Careers is from the 1955, and one of the careers is "uranium prospector".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
You might also try Clue: The Card Game. The thing that often frustrates people when playing Clue is the movement around the board. If your piece is a suspect, it gets moved around and there's nothing you can do about it. The card game eliminates this problem, and plays very well.

My copy of Careers is from the 1955, and one of the careers is "uranium prospector".

Which reminds me:

Monopoly Deal Card Game - ignore the fact it has the dreaded 'M-word', this game is really fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Hilmarsson Haj
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game of Life
Trivial Pursuit
Horror House
Which Witch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

We enjoyed playing Pay Day when we were kids. The game takes place over the course of a month, and the idea is to make enough money to cover your monthly bills and debts.

Sounds like a real snooze fest, but it's definitely more fun than it's description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Gamien wrote:

We enjoyed playing Pay Day when we were kids. The game takes place over the course of a month, and the idea is to make enough money to cover your monthly bills and debts.

Sounds like a real snooze fest, but it's definitely more fun than it's description.

I saw that at the store last week. The box said "Classic Edition" which is funny because I have the original and the board spaces are DIFFERENT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Heh, we had the 70's version with the Yellow Submarine-inspired artwork. Haven't seen a recent version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite growing up was Park and Shop. I introduced my kids to it when they were young, and they loved it. Other old school favorites my kids liked were:

Sink the Titanic
King Oil
Booby Trap
Bermuda Triangle
Mouse Trap
Rail Baron (actually the new Boxcars is virtually the same game)
Lie Detector/Spy Detector
Pirate and Traveler
Inventors
Water Works

A lot of these old games can still be found at rummage sales, flea markets, thrift stores, and of course, EBay. Some, however, will cost a pretty penny tho. For example a complete copy of Park and Shop will run around $50-$75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of silly, but we still enjoy Hands Down. Other games rarely makes us laugh so hard especially when you trick each other into slapping hands down over and over. Our best times for this seem to be late at night when everyone is getting a little groggy.

I also get out Battling Tops every once in a while though reminiscing adults seem to have more fun with this one.

For a nice casual game we like Rummikub.

We still get out Can't Stop a few times a year as well as Liar's Dice, and Dutch Blitz is as popular at our house as ever.

Two classics I still want to introduce to the kids that were popular with me are Dragonmaster and Black Box.

Speaking of Clue. Clue Master Detective was a Holy Grail game for me at one time. I knew it wasn't that great, but for some reason finding it was a ongoing quest for many years (that and Conquest of the Empire which I did find, but that's another story). I saw Clue: Master Detective a few days ago at Goodwill and I had the willpower to leave it there, but I'm sweating a little bit right now just thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.