Eddard Stark
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Announced via their FB page.

"Dear Fans,

We may have jumped the gun a bit on the projected February release of Forged in Fire. We were originally designing the product based upon the Conquest of Kumanjaro spell tome expansion, but in our quest to bring you the best product possible, we have made some major changes.

Unfortunately, this has the effect of pushing our Forged in Fire release several months into late Spring. We believe that when you see the final product you will agree that this was the right decision.

While we can’t provide a lot a details yet, we can say that Forged in Fire will be more content driven and of a better quality than we had previously intended with the February launch date. We know you want cards now and believe me, we do too. But we are willing to postpone the date because we really believe by doing so that this will be a much better product.

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm and support. We will keep aiming to provide you with the best possible game that we can as well as keep you updated along the way!"

This announcement is too bad, but not unexpected. They have a tendency to push things back in order to make sure that they are perfect and ready to be released. I'd prefer that they do this and test their product even more, rather than release something and have it not work well (i.e. original warlord).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, particularly with Forged in Fire giving us the alternate Warlord (and thus hopefully making the original one more competitive as well in one go), that's actually good news for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddard Stark
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Precisely my point. Hopefully they will be making him a much more viable option.

There should be plenty of war school cards in this set and hopefully cards that will be similar to teleport and dispel but of a different school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good news.

Mage wars has done well, and has a strong base, but needs to overcome some hurdles to get to the next level.

The quality of the next expansion, and the tone it sets; its price point and ability to freshen up the gameplay (from he who teleports wins), its ability to round out or correct previous mistakes, make the game more accessible to a wider audience, offer shorter playing variants and taking stock of the increasingly convoluted ruleset etc etc will all have a significant impact.

We've had two good expansions, one slightly marred in practice by an insuffiently play tested mage; and one flavorful but overpriced supplementary set (CoK).

Merely throwing out another CoK style pack would be easy, but send a message that mage wars has found its rut, is happy with the fans it has but doesn't seek more, and is staying there. That would be ok, but this has potential to be more than that.

On a selfish note, phew. My wallet gets to take a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddard Stark
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree. More expansions = more people talking about it, which will then result in more people playing it. However, this only holds true if their expansions continue to be top-notch quality.

I do expect this to be at the same price point as the previous DvN and FvW expansions though because they have stated that "We were originally designing the product based upon the Conquest of Kumanjaro spell tome expansion, but in our quest to bring you the best product possible, we have made some major changes."

So while our wallets may get a temporary break, soon we will all be buying a couple new expansions

Paladin vs Siren is scheduled to come out this year also; hopefully it doesn't get pushed back too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually quite okay with this news.

Have barely been able to use the Necromancer or Druid, and don't mind having some time to enjoy my new stuff before getting even newer stuff.

Besides, it's being delayed for the best possible reason - to create a better product. Worth the wait in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news!

As a fan of Mage Wars, I value quality over quantity.
As I am just getting a grasp of the druid vs necromancer set, I'd say take the time you need to do it right.
Hope you keep up this way of working!

cheers,
Alwin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They hit the nail on this (and on the game in general). Just to echo everyone, quality over quantity (although quantity is nice too). Worth the wait by far, whats a short while in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the delays are usually worth it. So I am all for it laugh Can we finally have ice magic in this upcoming expansion though... I been waiting since the start whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not had time to get to know the last two expansions. Delaying the next one is just fine with me. Don't put a fly in this great ointment by rushing expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bippy the Goat
msg tools
mbmb
MrMT wrote:
It's good news.

Mage wars has done well, and has a strong base, but needs to overcome some hurdles to get to the next level.

The quality of the next expansion, and the tone it sets; its price point and ability to freshen up the gameplay (from he who teleports wins), its ability to round out or correct previous mistakes, make the game more accessible to a wider audience, offer shorter playing variants and taking stock of the increasingly convoluted ruleset etc etc will all have a significant impact.

We've had two good expansions, one slightly marred in practice by an insuffiently play tested mage; and one flavorful but overpriced supplementary set (CoK).

Merely throwing out another CoK style pack would be easy, but send a message that mage wars has found its rut, is happy with the fans it has but doesn't seek more, and is staying there. That would be ok, but this has potential to be more than that.

On a selfish note, phew. My wallet gets to take a break.

I took a break from MW to play other games & am unaware of the "insufficiently playtested mage" or the "previous mistakes."

Briefly, what are they please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Callowbran wrote:
I took a break from MW to play other games & am unaware of the "insufficiently playtested mage" or the "previous mistakes."

The first would be the Warlord, who is generally considered to be significantly weaker than the others. Partly from a deckbuilding aspect, since Arcane spells cost triple for him - so those crucial Dispels and Teleports take up a lot of room in his deck. Partly since his primary weapon (War Sledge) is pretty lame. Then his concept is building and buffing an army of small-to-medium units, but he's not actually that good at it. There's a lot of cool concepts, but they don't quite work together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bippy the Goat
msg tools
mbmb
spartax wrote:
Callowbran wrote:

The first would be the Warlord, who is generally considered to be significantly weaker than the others. Partly from a deckbuilding aspect, since Arcane spells cost triple for him - so those crucial Dispels and Teleports take up a lot of room in his deck. Partly since his primary weapon (War Sledge) is pretty lame. Then his concept is building and buffing an army of small-to-medium units, but he's not actually that good at it. There's a lot of cool concepts, but they don't quite work together.

Oh. I've had a heck of a lot of fun with the Warlord, although I don't recall winning with him. (No news there. I'm a sloppy gamer.)

I also have 9 other Mages that are great. If that's the worst balance issue they have, then they'll get plenty of my $ in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Callowbran wrote:

Oh. I've had a heck of a lot of fun with the Warlord, although I don't recall winning with him. (No news there. I'm a sloppy gamer.)

I also have 9 other Mages that are great. If that's the worst balance issue they have, then they'll get plenty of my $ in future.

Arcane (and especially Teleport, and by implication Wizard) are much too good, and Warlord (mostly by virtue of being opposed to Arcane) is much too weak.

Both problems will be improved over time, there are different thoughts on how much/how soon and whether that debateable rate is acceptable.

That is the sum total of the balance issues in the game however, and I'd say it's extremely unlikely that there will ever be any bigger ones in future, so if you are comfortable with those, you have no problems at all.

It's also fair to say that these problems are more problematic at the competitive end of the game than the casual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many combinations to choose from that I haven't got round to playing the wizard (or playing against him) yet. I am not too sure that the Warlord is that bad, but I am looking forward to the new Dwarf Warlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current Warlord is definitely the weakest of the mages. He lacks the support necessary to really pull off a swarm strategy, like he obviously wants to do. Swarms have issues in the game currently anyways. He also is weak in Arcane which has a monopoly on certain functionality in the game and thusly imposes a harsh tax on his spellpoints. And his veterans ability relies primarily on what strategy your opponent utilizes, making it unreliable at best.

That said, he is not unplayable like many people make him out to be. Those are some harsh hurdles to overcome, but I've seen plenty of Warlords win their matches. I wouldn't say it happens as often as it should. He is definitely at a handicap. But it is doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main issue with the warlord is that in spirit he wants to build a network of defenses and send out an army, but in practice that doesn't work. It's too slow... by the time you start gaining the synergies of outposts and so forth, you will have been over-run.

He's perfectly playable as a different sort of mage - an elite gank squad which charges forward. He's not great, but fine in casual play. (In as much as such a thing exists in Mage Wars).

Thematically, it's disappointing he doesn't offer what is promised.

It'll be interesting to see how the new expansion changes that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

It'll be interesting to see how the new expansion changes that.

O yes indeed!!!
Looking forward to the Warlord toolbox and his dwarven counterpart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.