Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

consumerist.com/2013/12/11/coffee-prices-at-this-cafe-vary-d...

Quote:
For those who aren’t conversant in French, the above sign lists three prices for coffee. The first is €7 ($9.64) for people who merely grunt “un café” when they order. The next tier of pricing is €4.25 ($5.85) for those who politely add a “s’il vous plaît” to their order. And if you can be extra polite and throw in a “Bonjour” and a “s’il vous plaît,” you’ll only pay €1.40 ($1.93).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
It has long been my policy to always be polite to anyone who brings me food and drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how the explanation says "for those who aren't conversant in French..." and then fails to translate please and hello.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
It has long been my policy to always be polite to anyone who brings me food and drink.
this. I like my food and drink loogie free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xeromist wrote:
I like how the explanation says "for those who aren't conversant in French..." and then fails to translate please and hello.

Perhaps because for most people, the English translation for "Bonjour" and "S'il Vous Plait" are common knowledge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how this would go over in New York. I am sure the cafe would be charging the highest price 97% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Perhaps because for most people, the English translation for "Bonjour" and "S'il Vous Plait" are common knowledge?

Given the geography and size of America, most Americans speak only one language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xeromist wrote:

Hello, you get charged extra, if you please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Better solution than banning children from restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The secret is to use the right words, but have them come off in a really condescending and passive aggressive manner. That'll teach them for trying to make people polite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
xeromist wrote:

Unfortunately common knowledge is about as common as common sense and that really isn't as common as common vernacular implies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found that politeness makes the world a little easier from day to day. Extreme politeness works even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
The secret is to use the right words, but have them come off in a really condescending and passive aggressive manner. That'll teach them for trying to make people polite.

No coffee for you. Next!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tickmanfan wrote:

Me too. I am always baffled at people who are assholes to their waiter. I can only conclude that they must like eating other people's boogers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Yup. I've also made it a game with my family to see if they can remember the name of our waiter/waitress.

I physically cringe whenever I'm out and about with someone who is rude to a waiter. Some people treat them almost as if they are sub-human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
We have a local takeaway that we order home deliveries from (on a more regular basis than we probably should) and they never have to ask our address,

being curious one evening when I went to the door to collect our meal I asked if they had caller id, the delivery driver replied
"no but you are the only ones to say please"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At one particular restaurant, we ask for certain servers when we make reservations. It's cool to have a little rapport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
Yup. I've also made it a game with my family to see if they can remember the name of our waiter/waitress.

I physically cringe whenever I'm out and about with someone who is rude to a waiter. Some people treat them almost as if they are sub-human.

You might appreciate this then. People actually being nice to servers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The help sure are uppity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
The help sure are uppity.

That's what Aldie says about some of the admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Given the geography and size of America, most Americans speak only one language.

But we are geeks on here and not "most Americans".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.