Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Samarkand, the deck of cards is not so much a queue as it is a heap. That is, when you deliver or discard cards, they don't go to the bottom of the deck, but just get mixed in with the cards that are already there. A deck of cards doesn't naturally represent a heap as much as it does a queue.

The last time I played Thebes I thought about the way this game replaced the card decks that were used in Jenseits von Theben with tile draws from bags. This was a big improvement because the artifact tiles are a heap.

It then occurred to me that Samarkand would work much better if all the commodities were tiles that you draw from a bag and then throw back in the bag when they are delivered or discarded. This wouldn't be a difficult customization to implement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. It would be easy to use tiles. The original version used glass beads and that worked extremely well. The cards are a more fiddly way of doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see why not--you could also place the tiles in the camp spaces rather on the edge of the board, which would be clearer.

Also if it ever gets reprinted, include Isfahan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd just need some sort of screen to hide your tiles behind, as you'd not want to hold as many in your hand as you often have in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.