16 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone played this game with kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Travis
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi all. My son saw this game in the store and wants to try it. What is the youngest age that someone could play this with an adult?

My little geek in training is only 6, but he already plays zombicide (no it's not too scary, all the art is cartoony and non-graphic, and almost every cartoon he ever watches has some kind of monster for the good guys to fight-I'd never let him watch a zombie movie or video game!)and he reads fairly well.

Don't want to buy the game and get him all excited only for him to be disappointed because he can't understand it.

Thanks

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a little text heavy for a 6 year old. There's a sentence toa a paragraph on most card and you'll be using 20-30 cards every game. He may be different, but I have a 6 year old sister that I know would get through half a game of something as text heavy as Legendary and get bored. I could also see the same art being on each hero card being frustrating to a younger kid since they may associate one ability with the Hulk then get another Hulk card with a different ability and think they don't need to read it. Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
If your son really wants to try it I say give it a go. Since you can play this game purely co-op I don't see why he can't just have you explain something to him if he doesn't understand. If it turns out it is too much for him right now, it shouldn't be more than a year or two until he can grasp it. My kids I game with are 9+ but I could see playing this with them as early as 6 or 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your son is playing full length games of Zombicide, then he has a great attention and comprehension span and that's one of the two things needed.

The other is reading as it's text (and icon) heavy. If he reads fairly well, then I'd say that he scores on both requirements in my opinion.

One question: do you own Dominion and have you played that with him? If the answer is yes, then that wraps the deal.

One last comment is that it is a co-op so you can help him through things without hurting the game play experience. As long as you're not flat out playing for him, it may even enhance the experience especially if you ask him to help you as well. It's a team game.

FWIW: I have played it with kids and they enjoy it, especially if I set it up with the current movie Avengers team. My youngest is 10 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C

Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 8 and a 5 year old and both love the game. The 5 year needs help but it is a cooperative game. He knows what symbols he is looking for and can add those up. He has memorized quite a few of his favorite cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 5 y.o. son and 9 y.o. daughter. He definitely need some assistance playing. Always adds up his recruit and grabs the highest cost hero, with no sense of "deck building". He loves to beat The Lizard in the sewers to pass out a wound to the other players.

He was smart enough on his own to not recruit when the hero deck was down to the last few cards...Proud gamer dad moment there.

We do tend only to play with his favorite heroes...Hulk, Iceman, Human Torch...then my daughter adds in Black Widow and Captain America.

So that team up has seen quite a few Master Minds. We do tend to stick to the simpler Schemes for the most part (Cosmic Cube, Bank Robbery) when he is playing.

We do OK with it. Another option is the Marvel Super Hero Squad collectible card game. We landed that too, though he likes Legendary better mostly because of the team play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been the biggest addiction for my family a game has ever had. And I have 100+ in my collection. All three kids (ages 15, 11 and 6) consistently ask to play it.

As far as the 6 year old - he can't read all of the cards. The first cards you use have no text, and most of the others in base set have things like "draw a card" or a symbol with a sentence next to them, usually about discarding a card or something. I simply helped him with these short sentences.

We played a few nights ago with the Dark City expansion (me and the 6 yo) and those powers are more complex so he got a little lost.

But the base game is great with my 6 yo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think it would work. I played it with one of my sons when he was only 6 and he enjoyed it. I had to do all the shuffling for him and often had to provide some strategy tips.

I'd recommend the DC Comic Deckbuilding game, though. That has become my now seven-year-old's favorite game. While I still have to do the shuffling, he can play it all himself and does great. A bit easier game to play, plus the set-up time isn't nearly as bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing this with my 6yr old daughter. I help her read the scheme before we start and she has to read each card she plays. It's been more fun for me seeing her improve on her reading then actually playing the game. In fact the other night I used the legendary randomized app for her kindle to get our setup and then handed it over to her. She was able to get almost everything setup correctly and even got excited she could read some of the cards. When we play the game she understands recruiting perfectly and usually picks her favorite hero, typically a female character. She still needs help when it comes to chaining cards but overall it's a wonderful time playing with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Randles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd recommend you take a look at Rodney Smith's Watch It Played Series on YouTube. He's plays through a full game of this on camera with his son Luke.

Afterall, two children of the same age can be at completely different levels with the skills required for any game and you know your son and his abilities better than anyone. So seeing exactly how the game is played will probably give you a good idea of whether he would grasp it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stubobj wrote:
I love playing this with my 6yr old daughter. I help her read the scheme before we start and she has to read each card she plays. It's been more fun for me seeing her improve on her reading then actually playing the game. In fact the other night I used the legendary randomized app for her kindle to get our setup and then handed it over to her. She was able to get almost everything setup correctly and even got excited she could read some of the cards. When we play the game she understands recruiting perfectly and usually picks her favorite hero, typically a female character. She still needs help when it comes to chaining cards but overall it's a wonderful time playing with her.

My 6 year old has the same experience. This is the one "real" game that she loves to play. My only issue is we tend to play the same heroes ( Spidy, Black Widow, Captain America )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with the others that it should be fine. My 8 year old niece plays with us. I have to help some, but being co-op it makes that easy. If he likes the theme even more of a reason to give it a go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with my 8 year old daughter. My buddy has played with his 6 year old son. One thing we have found useful is swinging by a used toy store and picking up some little action figures and treat them as Victory Point toppers. We used Super Hero Squad characters. Now my oldest doesn't complain when she doesn't get the Black Widow cards, because she has the Black Widow figure!

I posted a thread about this a while ago too.
if you have young kids who want to play legendary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Travis
Canada
flag msg tools
Wow, that's quite a few more replies than I expected. Thanks guys!

Based on the experiences of a few of you, it looks as though there is quite a good chance that he'll "get it" if we play, so that seems promising!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I play with up to four kids, ages 6 to 14, and I'd say the game works really well if a younger child is highly motivated by the theme, playing strategy games, etc. My 6-year-old son can read well enough now, but even a few months ago when he could only read numbers and some simple words, I think he was basically memorizing cards as he had very little trouble executing a turn and figuring out his own Recruit / Attack totals. He'd make the occasional mistake, but we'd talk through how the cards interact and then he'd learn. Gets more fun to play each time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hall
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
My 7 year old daughter loves this game. We have been playing it since last summer and she still wants to play it a lot.

It is pretty text heavy, though she is a strong reader, but it has the cooperative thing going for it.

I think it is a great game for helping kids learn to plan ahead. The way the powers interact has an impact on their overall value so how you play them is important.

I give it a big thumbs up for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.