Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions that came up, especially after reading the FAQ (odd how that worked out...):

1) In combat, when you roll one or more Knockback icons do you need to use them or can they be ignored if the players want to keep the enemies in the same room as them?

2) Do both melee and ranged weapons take advantage of the Knockback icon?

3) Would someone please explain to me how in "Chainsaw vs Baseball Bat" the wooden bat ended up as the better weapon?

4) In the FAQ it was mentioned that Jack's free attack should be tracked with a different coloured cube during the Final Showdown, which begs the question, does it count towards the 6 AP required to trigger the nemisis/creature/zombies? As Jack's free attack action previously had no cube associated with it we originally assumed it did not, but on reading the FAQ it would seems to indicate otherwise.

Things I learned from the FAQ? I forgot that the fire token was removed when the last burn marker was removed; that if everyone gets entrapped we lose the game; that enemies combine their dice during multiple attacks rather than rolling "per enemy group"; and that lost AP (due to wounds) returns next round.

Phew! Lots of rules to remember, and that doesn't even cover the misprints...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:
I have a few questions that came up, especially after reading the FAQ (odd how that worked out...):

1) In combat, when you roll one or more Knockback icons do you need to use them or can they be ignored if the players want to keep the enemies in the same room as them?

3) Would someone please explain to me how in "Chainsaw vs Baseball Bat" the wooden bat ended up as the better weapon?

4) In the FAQ it was mentioned that Jack's free attack should be tracked with a different coloured cube during the Final Showdown, which begs the question, does it count towards the 6 AP required to trigger the nemisis/creature/zombies? As Jack's free attack action previously had no cube associated with it we originally assumed it did not, but on reading the FAQ it would seems to indicate otherwise.

Things I learned from the FAQ? I forgot that the fire token was removed when the last burn marker was removed; that if everyone gets entrapped we lose the game; that enemies combine their dice during multiple attacks rather than rolling "per enemy group"; and that lost AP (due to wounds) returns next round.

Phew! Lots of rules to remember, and that doesn't even cover the misprints...

1. Optional

2. Only Melee

3. I disagree

4. I think the explanations for this are so convoluted that we said screw it and grant him a FREE attack without the use of adding a cube. I never understood why all of a sudden you need to track it in the second half of the game. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Agree. We just do it once per round.

If you find it too powerful, I could see maybe restricting it to when he either has actions avail or has already added a cube to the current round. Or, maybe adding a cube that doesnt count against the max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
rwaszczuk wrote:

2. Only Melee

Ranged weapons can definitely use knockback icons to push back a zombie, but only if zombie is in the same room as the shooter (and there is an applicable room to be pushed back into, of course).

The question is answered here (question #4):
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14138396#14138396
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
rwaszczuk wrote:

3. I disagree

Oh? I'm at work right now, but as I recall both the Baseball Bat and Chainsaw use 3 dice to attack and are melee (range 0). However, the chainsaw uses gasoline (starts /w 6 cubes) and the Baseball Bat has teh special ability that a rolled Knockback icon knocks down a zombie, with another Knockdown icon (from anyone) killing it.

Also, and I may be wrong, but doesn't the Chainsaw use two hands? Again, I'm at work and don't have the cards.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:

Lack of Play-Testing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
If this were a real life situation I would definitely take a baseball bat over a chainsaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DDoubleVVision wrote:
If this were a real life situation I would definitely take a baseball bat over a chainsaw.

True, which further begs the question why even bother with it? I'm tempted to house rule it either with the same special rule as the Automatic (1 success = 2 successes) or, because its melee only take it a step further (1 success = 3 successes).

Of course if I did that I might need to restrict Fuel from being considered "Ammo" with regards to the corner room, thus reducing the odds it will ever be re-fueled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:
DDoubleVVision wrote:

True, which further begs the question why even bother with it?

I'm tempted to house rule it either with the same special rule as the Automatic (1 success = 2 successes) or, because its melee only take it a step further (1 success = 3 successes).

Of course if I did that I might need to restrict Fuel from being considered "Ammo" with regards to the corner room, thus reducing the odds it will ever be re-fueled.

Yeah I don't get too excited when I draw the chainsaw, unless I need the code it provides. I'm glad it exists though, since it seems pretty much every zombie movie had a chainsaw used as a weapon so it makes sense thematically to include it in this game.

However I don't think it should be more powerful than the baseball bat. For me it needs some special "power" to make it more interesting and useful. Possibly making it better against Creatures? The same way the baseball bat is better against Zombies, the chainsaw could have a similar bonus function only against Creatures and maybe the Nemesis, but not against Zombies. I think I might try this next game. Maybe one success = two successes, or if that is too powerful, an aim icon with a success = two successes.

I also don't like the sniper rifle. Sure it's great for range, but a) it's two-handed, and b) you only roll two attack dice. I found myself completely missing with it far too often to be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DDoubleVVision wrote:

Yeah I don't get too excited when I draw the chainsaw

I only have a chainsaw as a starting weapon. Is there another one in the equipment deck? I was wondering about that, because unless I'm missing a card, there's no way to get a chainsaw unless I use the character that starts with it.

Am I missing a rule or card? Just curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bipf wrote:
DDoubleVVision wrote:

I only have a chainsaw as a starting weapon. Is there another one in the equipment deck? I was wondering about that, because unless I'm missing a card, there's no way to get a chainsaw unless I use the character that starts with it.

No, you are correct. If you are drawing the chainsaw, you set up the deck incorrectly by adding the starting cards. Now getting a can of gas, when you don't have the chainsaw is possible, and not useful unless you need the code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's been a while since I played and couldn't remember if the chainsaw was a starting weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:
Bipf wrote:
DDoubleVVision wrote:

No, you are correct. If you are drawing the chainsaw, you set up the deck incorrectly by adding the starting cards. Now getting a can of gas, when you don't have the chainsaw is possible, and not useful unless you need the code.

That threw me off in the game, the fact that you can find gasoline, but it's useless unless you have a chainsaw. I may house rule that if you don't start with the chainsaw, it's placed in the equipment deck. Wish the back of the card matched the rest of the cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bipf wrote:
Wish the back of the card matched the rest of the cards

Sorry for the late reply but I find it useful to have a couple packs of sleeves (plain black has good coverage) lying around to remedy this exact situation ...and it also helps protect the cards in the process ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.