United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeagol was eliminated earlier, so WSGI was on the table. Then the Shadow Player played FTFTD and drew a regular "3" hunt tile. The card reads, ..."follow the rules for a successful Hunt, except that the Free Peoples player must reduce Hunt Damage (if any) by eliminating a random Companion (unless there are no Companions in the Fellowship) before using the Ring.

Well, Merry was the only one left in the Fellowship, so obviously he goes, and the Ring-Bearer has to take 2 corruption. My confusion was that the elimination of the last Fellowship Companion means Gollum becomes the Guide and I was wondering whether the conditions of We Shall Get It are activated.

1. I ruled that the first tile was resolved before Gollum becomes Guide and therefore We Shall Get It remains on the table until the next time a Hunt Tile is drawn. Sound right?

2. We Shall Get it reads, "If Gollum is the Guide, discard "We Shall Get It," after a Hunt tile has been drawn and before Hunt Resolution begins, to draw another Hunt tile. Apply the effects of the second tile, and place the first tile back in the Hunt Pool." As best I can tell by the rules governing cards on the table, the wording makes the discard mandatory, not optional. Which means when a Hunt Tile is drawn, WSGI must come off the table and a second tile has to be drawn and applied even if the Shadow Player likes the result of the first tile. Correct?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Correct. Gollum was not the Guide at the point at which the card could have been used.

2. The use of the card is optional. It says to discard it to draw another Hunt tile. If you don't want to draw another, you don't have to discard the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
1. Correct. Gollum was not the Guide at the point at which the card could have been used.

2. The use of the card is optional. It says to discard it to draw another Hunt tile. If you don't want to draw another, you don't have to discard the card.

Thanks. You've convinced me with your answer to #2. It just makes more sense on reflection. It wasn't critical to the game I played, but good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.