Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that if a die-locking monster is defeated, the dice it locked are freed only at the end of the Resolution phase.

Is that correct?

We've figured the harshest interpretation is the correct one, but I'm not really sure it's supported by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. The monster task might be solved, but the monster isn't defeated until the end of the resolution phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty clear in the rule book:

I think you have it correct.

Completing Monster Tasks
A player completes a monster task by satisfying its requirements with rolled die results, just like any other adventure task.
If a player completes a monster task, he collects the monster marker at the end of his Resolution phase, returns any dice locked by the monster marker to next to the entrance sheet (unless there are multiple locks that apply to it), and follows any instructions on the reverse side of the marker.
If a player completes a monster task, but fails the Adventure or Other World card it is on, he gains the monster marker at the end of his Resolution phase before suffering the penalties for failing to resolve the Adventure or Other World card.

Completing a Partial Monster Task
A player completes a partial monster task by satisfying the monster marker requirements and uncovered task requirements in the same row.
If a player rolls and obtains results that would satisfy only the requirements on the monster marker without completing the entire task, he did not defeat the monster. The monster marker remains there until a player manages to satisfy the entire row of task requirements.

Defeating Monsters with Items and Spells
Some items or spells instruct the player to defeat a monster. When using such an item or casting such a spell, the player chooses any monster in play and flips its marker facedown, ignoring all of its tasks.
If the monster marker is in a partial monster task, the uncovered task requirements must still be satisfied in order to resolve the adventure.
After either resolving or failing the adventure, the player collects the defeated monster marker at the end of his Resolution phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It works differently in the Android version. The die is unlocked as soon as the monster task has it's requirements filled so you can use the die in any more rolls you make at that Adventure.

But I don't think the Android version uses the same rules as the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
We've always played that if a die-locking monster is defeated, the dice it locked are freed only at the end of the Resolution phase.

Is that correct?

We've figured the harshest interpretation is the correct one, but I'm not really sure it's supported by the rules.

Yes, this is entirely correct.

The only reason I'm adding another "yes" is because it might be confusing for people who play the digital version, which has entirely different rules.

So for anyone curious, don't use the digital version to interpret rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. What confused me about the right interpretation is a thread on Elder Sign;s board at FFG, in which some people confess to be playing differently.

But surely, the game doesn't need to be easier.

So, it's good to know that we've lost to Nyarlothotep.

Basically, what happened in the latest game is: The Bloated Woman appeared on a critical adventure card at the end of the game, and we would have won with the lenient interpretation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
The digital version is simplified in a number of ways. I think of it as a lighter version. Nice for playing at dinner with my (very much also a gamer) wife on the iPad. There are a number of different portions of the full game that are missing. I still think it's a great digital version to have tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexis wrote:
The digital version is simplified in a number of ways. I think of it as a lighter version. Nice for playing at dinner with my (very much also a gamer) wife on the iPad. There are a number of different portions of the full game that are missing. I still think it's a great digital version to have tho.

I adore the digital version, but I consider it a variant of Elder Sign. In many ways it can be much harder and I swear the RNG isn't really an RNG. The early adventure cards/museum cards are almost always 3- or 4-dice cards and it's rare not to get what you need. Then suddenly you're not able to roll any dang scrolls or skulls to save your life... quite literally. haha And some cards require you pile at least two investigators to have even a chance of completing them.

There are major changes to the rule set which distinguishes the digital version from the physical version - how spells are used, how focusing works, etc. but more importantly, what I like about it is that if you get the extra Ancient Ones, there's stages to play and the game takes a totally different turn. For example, after collecting 7 signs for Cthulhu, you're suddenly whisked away to an ocean map to find R'lyeh and have to sacrifice dice to a pool as well as collect unique tokens. Really cool twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.